Increasing calories AND exercising less!!!!

Options
I've been using MFP for about 3wks and lost about 5 lbs. I've been eating on average around 1200 calories and working out everyday. (I'm 5'4, 148lbs trying to lose around 20lbs) I feel great, but have some concerns about maybe not eating enough and exercising too much- I don't want to make this harder than I have to. I'm scared that increasing my calories and exercising less is moving in the wrong direction ( Im going to increase my calories to 1600 and give myself at least one rest day) One of my concerns is that when I eat less my appetite seems to be naturally suppressed, I'm afraid if I start eating more I'm going to want to do just that... I also really love getting exercise, is it really going to hurt if I do it everyday?! I'd appreciate hearing others thoughts and experiences...

Replies

• stinamarie17
    stinamarie17 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    If you love exercising every day and your body can handle it, by all means, be active! i wish i had that same spirit haha.. as for the calories, 1200 a day is just barely what your body needs to survive.. when you exercise and don't eat for the additional calories that you burned, you run the risk of consuming less than what your body needs and eventually you may possibly stop seeing results. If you up your calories to 1600/day and continue exercising, you will likely be at a healthy intake level without dipping under what your body naturally requires on a day to day basis.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I recommend that you stop using MFP as a vehicle purely for weight loss but instead change your focus so that MFP becomes a vehicle for total well being, including health and fitness. If you eat a healthy, balanced calorie controlled diet, exercise regularly, develop good sleep habits and maintain important relationships you will be healthier and happier. You will also find that the excess kilograms will disappear and weight loss will become a welcome by-product of your health and wellbeing program. Don't obsess, just eat well, take advantage of your exercise calories and engage in regular physical activity.
    The key is developing a program that is sustainable in the long run. So don't push yourself by starvation or getting extreme about your exercise. And remember to enjoy yourself.
    kind regards,

Ben
  • berthabunny
    berthabunny Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    If you love exercising every day and your body can handle it, by all means, be active! i wish i had that same spirit haha.. as for the calories, 1200 a day is just barely what your body needs to survive.. when you exercise and don't eat for the additional calories that you burned, you run the risk of consuming less than what your body needs and eventually you may possibly stop seeing results. If you up your calories to 1600/day and continue exercising, you will likely be at a healthy intake level without dipping under what your body naturally requires on a day to day basis.

^^ this.
    And read this to explain more: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • Byrdsong1920
    Byrdsong1920 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Doing the same! I've been over training. Im up to 1800 cals per day now....hard to eat all I need to eat,but doing better. My net was too low on workout days!keep ur net up on exercise days! dont want ur body to go into starvation mode and won't let u lose....it's protecting itself.

Just finished metabolic testing at gym and learned so much about my body,my resting heart rate, ideal fat burn zones, caloric intake, etc. it's a science and we have to log and track what we do in order to learn more about our body!

Happy journey! Praying these recent changes will help me lose these last 20.

- Shan
  • lina011
    lina011 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Its all trial and error, work out what works best for your body & mental health

Ive done the whole overexercsing, eating little i looked F*ckin Great!!! but i felt so sad on the inside, i slowed down gained weight and also gained a new preception on fitness & eating, i should be enjoying it not dreading it.
    Now i workout 1 hr max 5- 6 days a week, i try not over think how much i am eating but choose healthier options, ive started accepting my shape, enjoying my workouts & living my life as a healthier/fit new me
  • vzryder
    vzryder Posts: 129 Member
    Options

Wise words, sound advice!
  • vzryder
    vzryder Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I recommend that you stop using MFP as a vehicle purely for weight loss but instead change your focus so that MFP becomes a vehicle for total well being, including health and fitness. If you eat a healthy, balanced calorie controlled diet, exercise regularly, develop good sleep habits and maintain important relationships you will be healthier and happier. You will also find that the excess kilograms will disappear and weight loss will become a welcome by-product of your health and wellbeing program. Don't obsess, just eat well, take advantage of your exercise calories and engage in regular physical activity.
    The key is developing a program that is sustainable in the long run. So don't push yourself by starvation or getting extreme about your exercise. And remember to enjoy yourself.
    kind regards,

Ben

I love this reply, gospel to live by, thanks Ben
  • yves_lydia
    Options
    I would agree that your calorie intake is too low with the amount of exercise you do. If you continue at this rate your body will loose weight but it will be muscle you are loosing. Your body will keep the fat as a back-up because it thinks you are starving. I agree with Ben! Let health and strength be you goal and don't worry about the pounds flying off. You want this lifestyle change to be sustainable. If you think you are exercising too much but still want to be active on a rest day, why not find a lower impact thing to do on that day or something fun and silly to do with your kiddos (dancing around the living room is a favorite at my house). Keep us posted on what you decided!
  • thumpthumpdrag
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice and support. I'm trying....