Heart Rate Monitor Recommendations

Options
Does anyone have a recommendation for a HRM preferrably under $100?

Also, does it make a difference in accuracy if you have one with a chest strap or one you wear on your wrist?

Replies

• aleyjewell
    aleyjewell Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I believe that the ones with the chest strap are much more accurate ad they are constantly reading your heart rate.

I love my pink Polar FT4. It changed the way I exercise.

http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Heart-Rate-Monitor-Purple/dp/B005M1P85O/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
  • luminajd
    luminajd Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have the same one aleyjewell linked to. I LOVE mine. Mine is the older style from about 3-4 years ago and it still works well. It is very motivating and makes me push harder in my workouts!
    In my opinion, you have to have a chest strap to be accurate.
  • MoLouw
    Options
    Go for one with a chest strap (as it's the better ones and most come out that way).
    Choose one of the better brands: Garmin, Polar, Suunto, Timex.
    If you're only training at home or in a gym, you don't need GPS (satellite).
    Don't forget that if you want to analyse/ review the data, you have to fork out a bit more for other stuff.

I use a Garmin 910XT as it's waterproof but that's out of your price range and generally doesn't look great aesthetically.

One of the best websites that reviews heart rate monitors (and has a spreadsheet of comparisons) is: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-comparison-calculator. Good luck.
  • SilverLotusGirl
    SilverLotusGirl Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    The chest straps don't feel annoying while exercising?
  • hilldiggity
    hilldiggity Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    The chest straps don't feel annoying while exercising?

I don't even notice it once it's on. They aren't big and bulky and are soft.

I too would recommend one with the strap. I love my Polar. It was around $100 and totally worth every penny. Knowing the exact amount of calories you've burned is a great tool.
  • StrongAndHealthyMommy
    StrongAndHealthyMommy Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    I love my polar .. easy to use and comfy