Over 50 and working to be under 200

Options
Hello:
I have been using this site for a week or so and have just now had the time to look at the message boards. Now that all my kids are grown and gone, I am finally taking time for me and working on me. I started this journey at 325 Jan 09 was 293 by April 09 and then just kinda held steady. Restarted a couple of weeks ago and am now at 284. My next goal is 275 then 250, then 211, then 199, then 170, so a long way to go.
I love this site - I can't believe how many foods/restaurants/other things are in their data base. It sure makes it easy to make an accurate count. I love it.
Good luck to everyone
K-O

Replies

• PoeRaven
    PoeRaven Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you too! Sounds like you are well on your way! :flowerforyou:
  • SFehring
    SFehring Posts: 4
    Options
    I'm sure you will continue with your success. Look at how far you've already come. This site is a great motivator and morale booster. Just the thing to keep you on the right track.

Good luck:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,992 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Welcome to MFP
    This is a great site. Take the time to learn about all the great features and use them.
    You will succeed if you work hard and don’t lose sight of your goal.
    This site changed my life and it can change yours....You've already made a great start, this site will keep you on track

Take it one day at a time
    Stay open minded to new ideas
    Take baby steps
    Drink lots of water :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Think of this as a new way of life, not just a temporary diet.

It always helps me to log my food first before I eat so there are no surprises.

Find a group to be part of and check in with them every day. The best way to find a group is to go to the message boards and read a lot of the threads until you find a group that has what you want, then reply and say you want to join and then participate regularly with them and get to know them. My groups are 50+ women and senior golden sneakers.:bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • looserlori
    looserlori Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi
    I saw your post and I feel like we have a lot in common. I am 51 and was pushing 300 not really sure how much because I did not have a scale. I am also trying to focus on me now. I am out of work and now I can actually focus on what i eat. I love this site it makes it so easy and makes you so aware of the amount of calories you are putting in your mouth. I recently joined a gym which is something I never thought I would do. lol. I feel so much better already. I am now at 279 I want to go down to at least 160. I think any thinner I would look too thin, I am 5' 3 and according to those charts I should be 130 but I haven't been that since I was a teen.
    Good luck with your journey.
    Lori
  • ocd1958
    ocd1958 Posts: 4
    Options
    good for you...you keep going....
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good Luck, and I KNOW you can succeed. I have not been under 200 in at least 10-15 years. But if I can succeed, I know you can too. All it takes is some focus, making YOURSELF #1 and a LOT of help from your Friends.

:heart: :flowerforyou:
  • ropsnik
    ropsnik Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Join the club. I am pushing 60 and have similar goals as you. Today on my weigh in , I finally surpassed my lowest weight in 8 years. It has taken alot of sweat at the gym (which I now enjoy), alot of support from my wife and exercise buddy and using MFP daily to track food and keep motivated. If you are over 50, read a book called "younger next year." It explains how the body ages and how Cardio can increase the years of your life and how strength training increases the quality of life in your retirement years. Best regards as you start your journey. I have been using MFP since January and it has really kept me motivated.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!!!

Speaking from personal experience, there is NOTHING better than putting a 1 as the first number in your weight instead of a 2!! We call it the "Onederful Ones" I have been there since November 10th of 2009, and have lost more since then. Once I left the two's, I did NOT EVER want to go back!!!

You can do this. Stop by the 50 + women's thread that Barbiecat mentioned. We would love to get to know you. Here is a link to make it easier to find:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/97768-women-ages-50-for-may?page=8#posts-1370903

Good luck to all.