does anyone weigh monthly?

Options
I think I may be addicted to the scales.... I jump on them once a day. The trouble is, if I have gained even slightly, my motivation disappears. It's so silly! So I'm wondering whether to set my self a challenge of not weighing myself for a whole month in the hope that I won't get hung up on daily fluctuations but instead will (hopefully) see a nice big loss! Does anyone else do this?

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    You just need to get your head in check. It isn't the scale.

I weigh myself daily, just because I find it interesting to see how my body reacts to the various things I do it. If you aren't able to look at 'the big picture', you might want to follow through with your once per month idea though. I'd keep measurements as well.
  • transvenouspacer
    transvenouspacer Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day. Funny, I'm the opposite of you: I tend to lose motivation when the scale goes down! My thought process is that since I'm losing or maintaining, I can just eat whatever I want lol. So those days when my weight is down I tend to eat more. Even when it goes up, I don't really worry about it though cuz I know it's just temporary. I don't know if I could wait a whole month to weigh haha!
  • mandster
    mandster Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh for months until I go on a diet - then I weigh daily :-) I find it interesting too to see how my body reacts to what I've eaten and I think it helps motivate me. If I've put on a bit it helps me keep it down the next day. Sometimes it can be disheartening but I've usually found that if I've been good and my weight has gone up or stayed the same for a few days then it will usually drop a fair bit after that (provided I stay on plan of course.)

I do think that measuring really helps too as if I haven't lost weight I'll often have lost inches.
  • Wildcat1975
    Wildcat1975 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily, but i know that some days it will go up, and some days it will come down. I also set myself what i call the weekly test, which is on a given day of the week (every Thursday) i track my progress. You will usually find that if you stick to it you will go down. Dont get too hung up on your weight, as sometimes you seem to be getting nowhere, but actually it is coming off in the inches around you neck, hips, chest etc. So i do also measure myself every week.
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Once a week: I call it the Sunday Showdown.
  • sondooby
    sondooby Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm a weekly girl and following Jordontek's lead, this will now be called Wednesday Wake-up!!!!!
  • SamanthaClarexo
    SamanthaClarexo Posts: 353 Member
    Options

Paha - me too. I weight once a week, first thing in a morning, after I've pee'd, naked ha :drinker:
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I weigh monthly.

Here's what I found for me: Losing weight isn't something I can DO. It's something that happens as a RESULT of what I do. I can't control results. I can only control what I do. I wanted to make a lifestyle change, not go on a diet. So I judge success and happiness based on things I can control: did I eat right, did I exercise hard, did I get enough sleep, did I drink enough water.

I set my goal to being healthy, not to losing weight. If somebody cuts off one of legs will I weigh less? Yes. Will I be healthier? No. Therefore, hanging everything on my weight loss is not a good indication of health. I could be skinny but still be unhealthy. So health became my motivation, not weight.

Made it easy to get off that !@#$ scale.
  • JJordon
    Options
    I'm a weekly girl and following Jordontek's lead, this will now be called Wednesday Wake-up!!!!!

I like it!
  • JJordon
    Options

Paha - me too. I weight once a week, first thing in a morning, after I've pee'd, naked ha :drinker:

I would say TMI, but its 5am, what the hey, whatever floats your boat, right? Right. You do you, especially in your birthday non-skivvies! And be comfortable!
  • narelleconstable
    Options
    Hey snowy,
    i do that too - if I weigh myself daily i get discouraged.... even though I want to throw myself on those scales every morning to see if I have miraculously lost 10 pounds overnight, I hold off and do it weekly to (hopefully) avoid that feeling of disappointment......... there is no way I would last a whole month :)
  • NathanKroptavich
    Options
    Hi. I also weigh weekly. There are daily fluctuations and I find that to be discouraging if I see that I'm up 1/2 lb one day and down 1 lb the next due to a variety of factors. I also weigh myself at the same time each day (Friday morning around 6 AM). Whatever you choose, just be consistent. I don't think there's any harm in weighing yourself daily if you understand there will be days of up and down. You can also weigh yourself monthly, but that may just be too long a wait to see if what you're doing with diet and exercise is actually working.

Another option for you might be to weigh yourself weekly and measure your body monthly (and maybe take photos to see your progress).

Best wishes to you!
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    About once a season, officially. Maybe once or twice a month just out of curiosity.
  • yowza101
    yowza101 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Remember also water weight which can add a pound of two. I get weighed every other week at my doctors. I do not have a scale at home, used to many ions ago and got rid of it. Just don't let it disappoint you. As long as you know you are working out and eating healthy that's all that matters. I don't go by the scale. I go by my clothes. A lot of times you are losing inches instead of weight. Plus if your toning up, that may not show up on the scales but it will definitely show in your clothes.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I weigh monthly, and since I am in the last few pounds it goes slowly (maybe 2 pounds per month). Earlier on though I used to weight three times a day (so I could get an idea of how my body naturally fluctuates), then weekly, now monthly.
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    when I had 100lb to lose i didn't weigh more than twice a year. but Now I've just 21lb to lose, I weigh 5 days a week and log it via Libra app, so I can see the trend of my weight, I could just Pick a single day to weigh, but on Sunday and Thursday I always weigh more than I do on a Tuesday and Friday. The trend is what is important not the day to day weight, so long as week by week I'm trending downwards I'm happy.
  • Angeloftheshore
    Angeloftheshore Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I weigh every couple weeks. If I am following my fitness plan and keeping within my calorie range I will lose the weight. So many things affect how and when you lose, right down to bathroom habits, water weight, monthly cycle (for women), etc... I trust the process. I also do not want to be "diet" centered. I am trying to make this a lifestyle change and that process takes time.
  • AuntieKT
    AuntieKT Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I do! Last time I went through a weight loss journer I became positively OBSESSED with the scale. This time I decided that I would only weigh every four weeks. I think that it has helped keep me more sane by a tremendous amount. And if you knew me, you'd know that that isn't always that easy to do...
  • littlebudgie
    littlebudgie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Yep, I weigh myself only once a month so that I don't get fixated.
  • morningmud
    morningmud Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I weigh monthly, the weekend after tom. Although, I was out of town last time so I owe myself a weigh-in.