Running in humidity

Options
Amy_B
Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
How do you run when it's humid outside? I think I could handle the heat, but the humidity stinks. I thought if I got up early and ran (6:30am), then the heat and humidity would be better. BUT it's supposed to rain later today, so it was really humid out. I had to stop less than halfway through my planned route. Do you think if I had brought water, I would have been okay? Any tips?

Replies

• errykat
    errykat Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My friend and I took up running when it got really humid (we live in the tropics) and it got really hard.

My suggestions would be to run in the evening when its a bit cooler (we ran about 5pm every night) and to try swimming. Drink lots and lots of water throughout the day coz you know you'll sweat more coz of the weather and if you want to take water do so!

Hope this helps!
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    My tip is to take it easy, walk if you need to and don't force yourself to overdo it. If it's REALLY bad, then maybe indoor exercise for that particular day would be a good idea instead (I know - inside exercise is no fun compared to outside!)
  • maryann73
    maryann73 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I noticed this too. I just make sure I wear my HRM. If I check it many times during my jog, I am able to adjust my pace to keep my HR in the right zone and not go over. I did have to walk for three 1 min. intervals yesterday to bring it down so I could finish, but that was much better than the day before. Good luck!
  • kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    Options
    I would like to keep an eye on this thread. I live in FL and I'm experiencing the same problem!
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Runing in humidity is harder because the humidty affects your body's ability to cool itself off by sweating. In drier climates, when your body sweats to cool you off, the sweat will evaporate. However, when it's humid, the sweat has nowhere to go because the air is already saturated with moisture so the sweat lingers on your body causing it to get hotter instead of cooling it off. So people so exercise in humid climates are more prone to heat related illnesses (heat exhaustion, heat stroke, etc) because the body cannot cool itself down.

I live used to live in Phx AZ where it was hot and dry and now live in TX a couple hrs away from the coast so it can get very humid and hot. So above it what I've learned from experience as well as talking with people who work in the medical field.

The best way to protect yourself is to make sure you've been drinking plenty of water the couple days before you run and take water with you as well as a towel or shirt or something to wipe the excess sweat off to help your body cool. It's still going to suck, but it will help you last. Also, I try to eat a banana or something light before exercising in humid weather whereas I wouldn't have in drier climates.

Hope this helps!
  • Happyguy
    Happyguy Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    It's tough. I remember when I was living in Mississippi I would stop sometimes and pour the sweat out of my shoes so my feet wouldn't slosh around. The best thing I found to do was find someplace where you can run in the shade. A wooded trail through a hardwood forest is what I found, and take a water bottle with you. Unfortunately besides running before or after dark, that's about all you can do.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! I think I'm going to run later in the day next time and take some water with me. I just didnt' want to have to carry a bottle around with me for seven miles, but if need be...
  • GaTarheel13
    Options
    I definitely think that carrying water with you will make a huge difference. I use two different types of water bottle. For shorter runs (3-4 miles) I use a "sprint bottle" which has a velcro strap for your hand so you don't actually have to hold the bottle the whole time. For longer runs, I use a fuel belt. I chose one that has a single bottle that sits in the middle of your back, but there are others that have several smaller bottles all the way around. You can get them at sporting goods or running stores.

You might want to also consider some gels or sports beans to replace the electrolytes that you lose when you sweat. Or put a sports drink in your water bottle.

On my long runs, I plan a refill stop after about 4 miles. I usually go through a 20 oz bottle of water in about 4 miles, so plan to either loop back by my house or stop at a convenience store for a refill. I've also heard of folks who plant water bottles along their route.

Also, are you wearing clothes made from "wicking" fabric? If not, I suggest you try them. Even though they will end up soaking wet, they won't weigh a ton like cotton does.

Unfortunately, though these things may help, it will still be humid! But, believe it or not, with the right preparations, it's really not that bad! I trained for a half marathon last summer in middle Georgia and got so I really didn't mind the heat that much. Any when it finally turned cool - WOW! what a pleasant change.
  • odatcindy
    odatcindy Posts: 641
    Options
    This is awesome information; I ran at 8:00am in Sherwood, AR today, and could feel the moisture on my skin from my first stride. I didn't know that carrying a towel to absorb the moisture would help. I do usually run with a bottle of water strapped to my hand, but I didn't today because I haven't figured how to drink from it without stopping. I also am learning to gauge my body and slow down my pace if my breathing gets out of control. I was looking at my HRM a lot, but was told that by doing that, I was letting the HRM dictate my speed instead of my body. I do get on my treadmill, but I do like the outdoors. Now if I could only figure out my pace!
  • Happyguy
    Happyguy Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    This is awesome information; I ran at 8:00am in Sherwood, AR today, and could feel the moisture on my skin from my first stride. I didn't know that carrying a towel to absorb the moisture would help. I do usually run with a bottle of water strapped to my hand, but I didn't today because I haven't figured how to drink from it without stopping. I also am learning to gauge my body and slow down my pace if my breathing gets out of control. I was looking at my HRM a lot, but was told that by doing that, I was letting the HRM dictate my speed instead of my body. I do get on my treadmill, but I do like the outdoors. Now if I could only figure out my pace!

It's OK to let the HRM dictate how fast you run. That is one of it's main uses. By determining your correct heart rate zone it will help keep you from being a slacker and it will also help keep you from over-training.

The HRM actually does a completely objective and unemotional job of listening to your body. But be aware that many of the formulas for calculating your correct heart rate zones are not accurate.