Do we marry within our socio-economic class?

Options
13»

Replies

• akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I grew up poor and in a "lower class'. I really had no idea I was any different than anyone else.

I married someone who grew up wealthy. He really had no idea he was loaded.

My mother-in-law hated me and would have nothing to do with our kids.

I now have my masters and he works in radio. We are good ole' middle class.

I think you love who you love. Class is a sad remnant of judgmental attitudes of someone who is born in a uterus that was is more fortunate than someone else.
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options
    both my parents were teachers. My sister and I (out of 9 children) are the only 2 who became teachers. my dad was also a farmer, insurance sales man, and in the army. 2 of my siblings went into agriculture, 1 into massage, 1 a professional student, 1 owns care homes, 1 is a nurse practician, 1 was a dancer/instructor... I am marrying a neurologist.

You cannot let your past determine your future or you're sunk.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    i think it depends upon the social circles in which you mix. you meet who you meet!

and about marrying someone like your dad- not true in my case. my hubby couldn't be more dissimilar.
  • ginavmills
    Options
    I did a paper on this in college...if you do, you tend to have less strain in the relationship, as you each know where the other is coming from....but obviously this doesn't always happen....and couples can make it work, they just may need to work at it a little bit more.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    HE LL NO!
    ha ha
    nothing like my father,
    wow, that is CRAZY!
    ha ha,, now that is rather amusing..
    ha ha
  • caldon4523
    caldon4523 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different and situations where people meet are different. An important consideration is your intellectual and socio-economic standing. Intelligent people gravitate toward their own and vice versa, lower class gravitate toward lower class, etc. However, one can make an individual concerted effort to break away from their own class. My mother came from a higher social class structure but she lived in Mexico. Her father was a strong, domineering individual who was very strict and showed little love and affection. She married a poor and meek dirt farmer from Texas, a man totally different from her father. They raised three children and lived happily together for over 25 years before they passed away 6 months apart. Bottom line, you decide what you want out of life unless you acquiesce and let society dictate your life.
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    They say the best way to be rich is be born to rich parents.

Poverty and wealth are often self-perpetuating.