Menopause and weight loss

Options

Replies

• Rikirox
    Rikirox Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with all of you. I could always lose weight easily when I was younger. Just exercising was enough to get it going. Now I am in perimenopause and i can't get that scale to move in the appropriate direction. I exercise everyday and have cut out after dinner snacks, soda, wine with dinner and try to concentrate on vegetables, whole grains & lean meat. Still nothing and I have been doing this since late January. I guess I have to kick up the exercise a few notches. I have a doctor's appt in late March and that is my goal to at least see some difference but it is really frustrating. The weight around my middle is especially stubborn & has never been my problem before this. The thought of gaining weight every year now is not one i relish! Thanks for being there for support !
  • JlenniferL
    JlenniferL Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm going through menopause and have managed to lose 41 lbs since I started watching my calories and exercising more since july 2012. Since you are going through menopause, don't forget your thyroid. Understand that will go to hell now that you have reached menopause. Using HRT and still losing weight.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    No. Not if you mean perimenopause. I've lost 40lbs and around 43 inches and I'm def. going through it. Hotflashes, nightsweats, etc. Just do what anyone else would do, watch what you eat & exercise more. If you feel like things aren't quite right, go for a checkup.
    ETA: I don't know if this is relevant to you or not, but I do not take HRT. I'm suffering through it. Ugh.
  • JlenniferL
    JlenniferL Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Since I started counting calories I no longer drink regular soda and on occasion the diet stuff. Went from sugar to sugar alternative. No longer cook with oil but cooking spray. It was dark giving up the soda, but the calories for a cup was AWFUL! Small changes make a big difference.
  • TrailRunner61
    Options
    I'm 60 & had a late menopause. Since then (in the last year) I've lost 60-odd of the surplus pounds that have been accumulating for decades.This is the first time I've stuck to a diet / healthy eating regime - ever! (For long enough to make it work, anyhow).To me, it's all in your head - MFP is the best tool ever for weight loss and helps, but if your head & heart aren't in it, it's not going to work whatever age you are. If your head and your heart are going for it, it doesn't matter what your age is, you will lose weight.
    This.. don't use menopause as an excuse. It's not different than blaming your period for making you pig out at a buffet. Just do the work and the weight will come off.
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I'm 60 & had a late menopause. Since then (in the last year) I've lost 60-odd of the surplus pounds that have been accumulating for decades.This is the first time I've stuck to a diet / healthy eating regime - ever! (For long enough to make it work, anyhow).To me, it's all in your head - MFP is the best tool ever for weight loss and helps, but if your head & heart aren't in it, it's not going to work whatever age you are. If your head and your heart are going for it, it doesn't matter what your age is, you will lose weight.

Agree 100%. Menopause is not terminal it is only another process we adapt to. The emotional part of moving into a later stage of life is real. I find jogging helps and Zumba. At time Zantx. Most of us have our children turning into young adults and ageing parents plus our own health issues. So it truly is mostly getting your mind in a good place. The hot flashes compare a lot less for me than did cramps every month. Eat Clean and Workout hard. The weight WILL fall off.
  • lgblack
    lgblack Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I am 53 1/2 yrs old. Hot flashes started a few years ago. I found some herbal supplements (chaste berry) that were very successful for about 10 months, then they ceased to be effective. Then I got a period that was SOOOO heavy, that I had to go to the doctor at 10 days to stop it! I was almost anemic. So then I got referred to a oby/gn. He did a D&C and then put me on progesterone and estrogen. No periods for 4 months, then I have had 2 periods since then, and the odd hot flash. Going back to see him in 2 weeks.

So that all said, I have been gaining weight slowly in the past 4 years, definitely since the hot flashes started. I have been doing 1 hour Zumba classes (cardio dance) twice a week this whole time. Burning about 400 calories a time (measured by a heart monitor.) This same monitor measures 700 calories burned by my daughter who is 21. We both 'give 'er' in the classes. So that is proof for me that our metabolism slows down and the exercise that we do is not as effective as when we were younger. So I then added in some classes at our fitness centre. Increased exercise alone was still not doing it. My weight crept up to 160 lbs. For the past year, I have been doing 2 Zumba classes PLUS 2-3 weight training sessions per week. (weight sessions designed by a personal trainer). Still no weight loss. :( Then, in January, he said "I want you using My Fitness Pal" as well as doing this new program....which is 3 weight training sessions per week, plus doing my 2 Zumba sessions per week. FINALLY SUCCESS. Down 8 lbs in 5 weeks and feeling great.

What this taught me is that with NO changes in my eating - quality or quantity - I still gained weight due to the increasingly slower metabolism brought on my menopause. The only thing that has turned this around is eating less, eating much more healthy choices, AND putting in 1 hour a day/5x per week doing strength training AND cardio exercise. The strength training has really been positive in kicking up my metabolism.

I still have over 10 lbs to go to get down to my ideal 140 lbs, but at least now I know what I must do to achieve it. I am glad I stopped the upward climb at 160, because it requires so much effort to take it off. But at least I figured out what worked for me. The strength training is benefiting my bone density, and muscle definition, so as the weight comes off, my body is adjusting nicely to the new look!!
  • ohnancy
    ohnancy Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Don't forget that, at about the time we're going through menopause, we've also been losing muscle mass. That means we burn fewer calories naturally than we did when we were younger. Your exercise needs to include strength training. I do a daily morning routine rotating between upper body, lower body and core so it doesn't take too long.
  • TrailRunner61
    Options
    Don't forget that, at about the time we're going through menopause, we've also been losing muscle mass. That means we burn fewer calories naturally than we did when we were younger. Your exercise needs to include strength training. I do a daily morning routine rotating between upper body, lower body and core so it doesn't take too long.
    This too..as we age, most of us move less plus have less muscle mass. Put them together and it's easy to gain weight. Think about when you were younger and thinner.. You probably were chasing kids, doing more housework, working full-time, cooking more home-cooked meals and eating out less often. As we get older we tend to do less physical work, sit around and watch tv, spend hours online, have more stress, etc. Sitting burns about 54 calories an hour vs. 90 or so for just standing. It all adds up and unfortunately, it's usually added as fat on our mid-section.
  • lrbassmom
    Options
    There are no studies looking at bioidentical vs. traditional hormone therapy. The jury is still out on whether it's better and/or safer for you.

This is from Harvard:

Many women assume that “natural” hormones would be better or safer — but the term “natural” is open to interpretation.

Any product whose principal ingredient has an animal, plant, or mineral source is technically natural. It doesn’t matter whether the substance is ground, put into capsules, and sold over the counter — or extracted in a laboratory, manufactured by a pharmaceutical company, and made available only by prescription. For example, the soy plant is the source of supplements that some women take to ease menopausal symptoms; it’s also used, along with yams, to make the estrogen in the FDA-approved hormone drug Estrace.

But unlike Estrace, soy supplements aren’t regulated and haven’t been rigorously tested in humans, so we don’t know whether they’re safe or effective. There’s some evidence that certain soy components may actually stimulate breast tumor growth. So “natural” doesn’t necessarily equal “safe” — and may simply be a euphemism for "unregulated."

The interest in a more natural approach to hormone therapy has focused attention on bioidentical hormones — hormones that are identical in molecular structure to the hormones women make in their bodies. They’re not found in this form in nature but are made, or synthesized, from a plant chemical extracted from yams and soy. Bioidentical estrogens are 17 beta-estradiol, estrone, and estriol. (Estradiol is the form of estrogen that decreases at menopause.) Bioidentical progesterone is simply progesterone. It’s micronized (finely ground) in the laboratory for better absorption in the body.

Bioidentical hormone therapy is often called “natural hormone therapy” because bioidentical hormones act in the body just like the hormones we produce. But here again, that tricky word natural muddies the waters. Pregnant mares’ urine is natural, but Premarin is not bioidentical, at least not to human estrogen. The same goes for Cenestin, which is made from plants but is not bioidentical.

Technically, the body can’t distinguish bioidentical hormones from the ones your ovaries produce. On a blood test, your total estradiol reflects the bioidentical estradiol you’ve taken as well as the estradiol your body makes. On the other hand, Premarin is metabolized into various forms of estrogen that aren’t measured by standard laboratory tests. Proponents of bioidentical hormones say that one advantage of bioidentical estrogen over Premarin is that estrogen levels can be monitored more precisely and treatment individualized accordingly. Skeptics counter that it hardly matters, because no one knows exactly what hormone levels to aim for, and symptoms, not levels, should be treated and monitored.

Bioidentical estradiol in pill form is converted in the liver to estrone, a weaker bioidentical estrogen. But given in a patch, it enters the bloodstream as bioidentical estradiol. Creams, gels, and lotions applied to the legs or arms can also deliver bioidentical estradiol directly to the bloodstream, although it’s uncertain how much is absorbed.

Are bioidenticals safer? No one knows. Studies have shown they can help relieve hot flashes and vaginal dryness, but as yet, few large studies have investigated the differences among the various hormones and methods of administration. More research is needed to further understand these differences and compare the risks and benefits.

Women taking bioidentical estrogen who have a uterus must still take an FDA-approved progestin or micronized progesterone to prevent endometrial cancer. So-called natural, plant-derived progesterone creams sold over the counter contain too little of the hormone to be effective. And yam extract creams don’t help because your body cannot convert them into progesterone.

I would disagree with the statement that bio-identical hormone creams that are sold over the counter are ineffective. I've tested them on myself (and there are better and worse ones). I use Kokoro but there are others that are equally effective like Emerita. They need to be administered vaginally (and inside the labia) though, rather than on other skin areas. They do an excellent job of countering vaginal dryness and they have a lot of other pleasant characteristics as well. I do not take any estrogen products. Natural progesterone actually has a protective effect against breast cancer and endometrial cancer. Just a little progesterone cream is all you need to keep the hot flashes and dryness away. The yam creams are ineffective. Google Dr. John Lee---he was a pioneer of using natural progesterone cream for women.

Even if you OD on natural progesterone cream, the only effect you would have is a little giddiness. Progesterone is a mood lifter (just like estrogen can be a mood-downer). I personally feel that the epidemic of depression is the result of having inadequate levels of magnesium and progesterone because of inadequate diet (magnesium) and the effect of xenoestrogens in our environment. Xenoestrogens are environmental chemical pollutants that act like estrogen in the human body. It is the most likely cause of declining sperm rates in men.

So what you're telling me is that this progesterone cream will eliminate the hot flashes? Because mine were HORRIBLE! As in going outside in a sleeveless tshirt when it's 30 degrees and sweating my butt off! and doing that at least once an hour! As in, can't wear makeup because it won't stay on for the sweat running down my face! Yeah, that kind of hot flash!

And I've noticed that my pillow is starting to get sweaty during the night so I'm having to do the pillow flip. Hot side/cool side - ahhh!

I'll definitely be getting some cream this week. What were the OTC ones that you would recommend?
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    There are no studies looking at bioidentical vs. traditional hormone therapy. The jury is still out on whether it's better and/or safer for you.

This is from Harvard:

Many women assume that “natural” hormones would be better or safer — but the term “natural” is open to interpretation.

Any product whose principal ingredient has an animal, plant, or mineral source is technically natural. It doesn’t matter whether the substance is ground, put into capsules, and sold over the counter — or extracted in a laboratory, manufactured by a pharmaceutical company, and made available only by prescription. For example, the soy plant is the source of supplements that some women take to ease menopausal symptoms; it’s also used, along with yams, to make the estrogen in the FDA-approved hormone drug Estrace.

But unlike Estrace, soy supplements aren’t regulated and haven’t been rigorously tested in humans, so we don’t know whether they’re safe or effective. There’s some evidence that certain soy components may actually stimulate breast tumor growth. So “natural” doesn’t necessarily equal “safe” — and may simply be a euphemism for "unregulated."

The interest in a more natural approach to hormone therapy has focused attention on bioidentical hormones — hormones that are identical in molecular structure to the hormones women make in their bodies. They’re not found in this form in nature but are made, or synthesized, from a plant chemical extracted from yams and soy. Bioidentical estrogens are 17 beta-estradiol, estrone, and estriol. (Estradiol is the form of estrogen that decreases at menopause.) Bioidentical progesterone is simply progesterone. It’s micronized (finely ground) in the laboratory for better absorption in the body.

Bioidentical hormone therapy is often called “natural hormone therapy” because bioidentical hormones act in the body just like the hormones we produce. But here again, that tricky word natural muddies the waters. Pregnant mares’ urine is natural, but Premarin is not bioidentical, at least not to human estrogen. The same goes for Cenestin, which is made from plants but is not bioidentical.

Technically, the body can’t distinguish bioidentical hormones from the ones your ovaries produce. On a blood test, your total estradiol reflects the bioidentical estradiol you’ve taken as well as the estradiol your body makes. On the other hand, Premarin is metabolized into various forms of estrogen that aren’t measured by standard laboratory tests. Proponents of bioidentical hormones say that one advantage of bioidentical estrogen over Premarin is that estrogen levels can be monitored more precisely and treatment individualized accordingly. Skeptics counter that it hardly matters, because no one knows exactly what hormone levels to aim for, and symptoms, not levels, should be treated and monitored.

Bioidentical estradiol in pill form is converted in the liver to estrone, a weaker bioidentical estrogen. But given in a patch, it enters the bloodstream as bioidentical estradiol. Creams, gels, and lotions applied to the legs or arms can also deliver bioidentical estradiol directly to the bloodstream, although it’s uncertain how much is absorbed.

Are bioidenticals safer? No one knows. Studies have shown they can help relieve hot flashes and vaginal dryness, but as yet, few large studies have investigated the differences among the various hormones and methods of administration. More research is needed to further understand these differences and compare the risks and benefits.

Women taking bioidentical estrogen who have a uterus must still take an FDA-approved progestin or micronized progesterone to prevent endometrial cancer. So-called natural, plant-derived progesterone creams sold over the counter contain too little of the hormone to be effective. And yam extract creams don’t help because your body cannot convert them into progesterone.

I would disagree with the statement that bio-identical hormone creams that are sold over the counter are ineffective. I've tested them on myself (and there are better and worse ones). I use Kokoro but there are others that are equally effective like Emerita. They need to be administered vaginally (and inside the labia) though, rather than on other skin areas. They do an excellent job of countering vaginal dryness and they have a lot of other pleasant characteristics as well. I do not take any estrogen products. Natural progesterone actually has a protective effect against breast cancer and endometrial cancer. Just a little progesterone cream is all you need to keep the hot flashes and dryness away. The yam creams are ineffective. Google Dr. John Lee---he was a pioneer of using natural progesterone cream for women.

Even if you OD on natural progesterone cream, the only effect you would have is a little giddiness. Progesterone is a mood lifter (just like estrogen can be a mood-downer). I personally feel that the epidemic of depression is the result of having inadequate levels of magnesium and progesterone because of inadequate diet (magnesium) and the effect of xenoestrogens in our environment. Xenoestrogens are environmental chemical pollutants that act like estrogen in the human body. It is the most likely cause of declining sperm rates in men.

So what you're telling me is that this progesterone cream will eliminate the hot flashes? Because mine were HORRIBLE! As in going outside in a sleeveless tshirt when it's 30 degrees and sweating my butt off! and doing that at least once an hour! As in, can't wear makeup because it won't stay on for the sweat running down my face! Yeah, that kind of hot flash!

And I've noticed that my pillow is starting to get sweaty during the night so I'm having to do the pillow flip. Hot side/cool side - ahhh!

I'll definitely be getting some cream this week. What were the OTC ones that you would recommend?
    Emerita is the one that you will find most often and it is good. Kokoro is the one that I use (I like that the pump canister completely empties. It completely stopped the hot flashes and night sweats for me. Before I started on the progesterone, the night sweats were the worst---I would wear a nightgown and large T-shirt over that and still have to get up to change them in the middle of the night. :frown: There are other recommended ones on the website that I linked to earlier. Dr. Lee's organization sells one too and I assume that it is a good one. One of the things they discovered recently is that the cream has to be used vaginally rather than spread around to sites on the inside of the arms etc. I wish they would make it with a vaginal tube dispenser. I assume they will be addressing this soon in their packaging.
  • velsbree
    Options
    I went through early menopause, gained weight because i ate badly and didn't exercise enough. I did not do any hormone therapy, and never looked back. Eat a little less, but smarter and exercise like your life depended on it
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    46 and menopausal here. For me to lose weight I do have to exercise more. If I just go low cal my body just shuts down. I have a very low resting heart rate 38-42. So I am jogging and doing circuit training and yoga. I am.losing weight and feeling better than in my 30's when I was lazy and got fat. I do also have to lose in stages. I seem to be able to only lose for 3 months then I maintain so I upped my calories for a bit and then I lower them again and start losing again. When you have 100 pounds to lose it is very hard to lose straight through. Good luck with your journey.:flowerforyou:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    This.. don't use menopause as an excuse. It's not different than blaming your period for making you pig out at a buffet. Just do the work and the weight will come off.
    Doesn't sound like anyone is, really. Just looking for some support.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Yes. Excellent reminder. I've been strength training since my 30s so I didn't think to mention that. But yes, it's important to include strength training!
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options

I could almost have written this except that I was 58 when I reached my goal weight and didn't begin accumulating the 58 surplus pounds I lost until the latter half of my 40s. I always felt that I was making good progress for the amount of effort I was putting in. That could have been because of my lack of a frame of reference, though, as I had almost zero prior history of dieting and didn't know enough to get discouraged.
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options

agreed. I am 48 years old and when i stick to exercise and portion control I see results. I think a lot of our issues are is we won't lift heavy. With Cardio and weight training we can't help but succeed. Its all a state of mind.
  • jharb2
    jharb2 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Only your doctor can discuss what is best for you based on your symptoms and health/family history. Not well meaning people on MFP. They can only tell you what worked for them and you are an individual. I myself am peri-menopausal and have lost weight thru diet/excercise - for symptom relief I have started back on bc pills since I still have regular periods. After all periods have stopped for approx. 1 year are you considered post menopause and symptoms are treated differently either/and holistically or traditionally..
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I've been through (early) menopuase. I gained a few pounds, and a spare tire around my middle! :bigsmile:
    Menopause does make it harder to lose weight. It isn't impossible though, just harder! I just had to up my excersising and watch my calorie intake. I love MFP for that.
    I do not take any harmones. My doctor agrees with not taking them.
    I have accepted that the older I get, the less I should eat, and the more I need to excersise! :smile:

:drinker: we aren't 25 anymore. We can no longer eat like we are.
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Yes it can make it harder, but not impossible, You have to train harder and eat clean..