Do you like your Heart Rate Monitor???

Options
I'm thinking of getting one and can't afford to spend alot of money, however, I don't want to buy something that doesn't work or works poorly.

Do you like your HRM? What should I be looking for, I don't need bells and whistles just something that is affordable and reliable.

TIA

Gil

Replies

• raquel424
    Options
    I picked up a Timex from Walmart last week and took it back. It wasn't cheap I paid 59$ plus tax. It was supposed to take heart rate (only when you paused enough to put your index finger over the rim) , but it didn't work well once I was moving. I would try twice at least to get a reading and the measures where all over the place. Unfortunately I am going to put up the money for a Polar FT4 or 7, but I'm going to search Amazon.com instead of buying them at 140-160$.
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I love mine! I have an older polar, RS200 watch and H1 HRM. If you have a smartphone, I'd get the H7
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    For the most bang for your buck I think a Polar FT4 is your best buy. Provides all the data that you need at a reasonable price, easy to use and as accurate as any. You really need to go with one with a chest strap for accuracy.
  • gilmoregirlsr
    gilmoregirlsr Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I love mine! I have an older polar, RS200 watch and H1 HRM. If you have a smartphone, I'd get the H7

Not sure why it matters if I have a smart phone....can the watch send the information to my phone...I`m not very tech savvy...
  • Derpinaaa
    Derpinaaa Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4. Got it for $62 on Amazon.
    Gives you your heart rate and calorie burn, and that's really all you need.
    I like it a lot,
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I have a New Balance N4 - works great. They retail for about $70, but I have seen them online for around $45. I got mine brand new on eBay for $26. :bigsmile:
  • Kickinkim418
    Kickinkim418 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 that I use for indoor workouts and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!! I use a Garmin 305 when I run outdoors...I'm in love with my HRM's!!!
  • Songbirdcw
    Songbirdcw Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I like it a lot,

This! I paid about the same price on Amazon. I don't workout without it! Love it!
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 and love it. I think it's around $80 on amazon; not sure, I got it for Christmas.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I got a Timex from Amazon. It has the chest strap and it's d*ck simple. I think it was $70 or so?
  • bre1833
    bre1833 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Can the Polar TF4 bee worn in the pool?
  • dxtra30
    dxtra30 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I like it a lot,

This! I paid about the same price on Amazon. I don't workout without it! Love it!

^^ - Second This
  • Babygirl928
    Babygirl928 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I recently got the polar FT4 on Sears.com for $44 and I LOVE it!!!
  • ktbug1186
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7, my mom has an FT4! Both awesome. I can wear my FT7 in the pool, pretty sure you can do it with the FT4 as well!
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    The one I have just syncs with the watch, so you would have to get the watch and the HRM. If you get the H7, it's a bluetooth version, so you wouldn't need the watch, you can just sync it with an app on your smart phone (provided you have one).
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 and love it!

When you are looking for one make sure it has a few things...

1) Chest strap - this usually makes it a bit more expensive but a chest strap will take a constant HR making your calorie burns much more accurate than the watch only models where you have to put your finger on the button. The watch only ones calculate your calorie burn on your last HR reading which if you haven't checked frequently will not be accurate to what you are really burning. Make sure the chest strap is coded so it doesn't pick up other peoples HRM if you are in a gym or around others.

2) One that allows you to enter your age, sex, weight and height. These things are needed to make sure your calorie burn is as accurate as possible. I had one that didn't let me enter anything other than male or female which caused calorie burns to be wrong.

There are some cheaper ones out there but I believe you get what you pay for. The more personal information you can enter the more accurate your reading will be. With a chest strap it will be much more accurate than one without.

Search around for one and do your research. I have heard a lot of bad things about Timex and Sportline brand ones. The first one I got was a Sportline... was about $30 at Walmart. It was returned two days after I bought it. Not accurate at all.

If you are in the US you can get some decent priced ones on Amazon.com I got my Polar for about $90 at a store closing sale but I'm in Canada so it's more expensive than some other places.
  • KirstenTheFamilyCoach
    Options
    I have the WaHoo HRM. It was $100 (because I have an iPhone 4, if you have the 4S or 5 it's 1/2 that). I love it and I find it very helpful to watch my heart rate (or it can be talked over my music into my earbuds). i know when to pump it up a bit more.
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 also. HOnestly? I hate it. The strap gets on my ever loving nerves. Usually, I just use to watch to time my runs.