Can someone explain net calories to me? I'm confused.

Options
So I was reading another post about someone netting 600 calories a day and not losing any weight, and I realized that I don't quite understand the idea of net calories. You can look at my food diary to see what my average net calories is, but A sampling from a few days in my diary looks like this:

Goal: 1500 Food: 1568 Exercise: 217 Net: 1351 Remaining: 149
Goal: 150 Food: 1358 Exercise: 57 Net: 1301 Remaining: 199
Goal:1500 Food: 1525 Exercise: 343 Net: 1182 Remaining: 318
Goal: 1500 Food: 1317 Exercise: 671 Net: 646 Remaining: 854

So I guess I don't understand what the Net Calories means. My days vary a LOT, some days I work out a ton some days I do very little or nothing (nothing is usually only on Sunday), and the Net calories ranges from 600-1500...

Does this look okay?
I am 26 yrs, female, 202lbs, 5'7" and goal weight is 145. I do an hour of yoga every day (except some Sundays) and try to do 30-45 minutes of incline speed walking 5-6 days a week usually burning 300+ calories(though I've been slacking this last week....) I've been steadily losing 1-2.5 lbs per week until last week, when I lost nothing. The first couple weeks I was doing 1200 calories a day and eating back a small part of my burned calories, but I came to see that was not enough so I upped it.

Help!

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    The easiest way to understand it is that Net Calories how much food your body has to run on after you've finished exercising.

If your goal is 1500 calories, that means your goal is to NET 1500 calories. After you finish logging your exercise, you need 1500 calories to run your body (breath, move, grow, think) and STILL LOSE WEIGHT.

Your calorie deficit (500 calories a day if you're trying to lose a pound a week) is already taken out before they calculate your goal.

If you just wanted to maintain your weight, you'd have to net 2000.
  • brownmousemama
    brownmousemama Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    The easiest way to understand it is that Net Calories how much food your body has to run on after you've finished exercising.

If your goal is 1500 calories, that means your goal is to NET 1500 calories. After you finish logging your exercise, you need 1500 calories to run your body (breath, move, grow, think) and STILL LOSE WEIGHT.

Your calorie deficit (500 calories a day if you're trying to lose a pound a week) is already taken out before they calculate your goal.

So I need to eat back my burned calories? I'm confused about TDEE, BMR, etc and where I should be....
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options

So I need to eat back my burned calories? I'm confused about TDEE, BMR, etc and where I should be....

It's personal preference. There are a lot of people that decide to eat them back - and those that do. I'm in neither. I will eat back 50% if I exercise in the morning - or just leave it if I exercise last at night. But, there are other people that say that MFP calculates your deficit so you need to eat back those calories.

Although, if you are in negative net calories, then I would say eat them all back!
  • TygerTwoTails
    TygerTwoTails Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    You really should be eating those calories back, or else you aren't giving your body sufficient fuel to operate, leading to all sorts of problems (trust me, I know, I've got them, but I'm trying to fix them...)

So if your goal for calories is 1500
    and you eat exactly 1500 calories in a day,
    but then you exercise 500 of them away,
    you have only netted 1000 calories for the day,
    NOT ENOUGH calories to sustain your body's daily functioning needs.

You may end up loosing weight faster, but you will be giving up lean body mass (all those super awesome muscles that burn more calories than fat etc....) and bone mass (because your body will start leeching nutrients from your bones to fill the deficit) and mess with your hormones (because your body will go into starvation mode and therefore not function as a normal and healthy body should)

You don't necessarily need to eat ALL of the calories back, but even if you do, you should still be on track to loose about 1 lb a week since MFP does calculate the deficit you need to be at to lose weight through caloric restriction.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    So I need to eat back my burned calories?
    Yes. Other weight loss systems include your exercise in your activity level. MFP doesn't, which works because you only eat them back when you've actually done the exercise, and that encourages you to work out more!
  • duckiec
    duckiec Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'm with you if we're using the MFP calorie guideline/plan- MFP assumes you'll exercise, gives you a lower general number daily, which you boost up by moving the booty.

Say we're using TDEE - 20%. That already takes into account exercise. In that case, do I want to just eat the TDEE - 20% calorie goal (in my case, around 1600), or do I need to NET 1600. Thanks for all your helpful feedback!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Say we're using TDEE - 20%. That already takes into account exercise. In that case, do I want to just eat the TDEE - 20% calorie goal (in my case, around 1600), or do I need to NET 1600. Thanks for all your helpful feedback!
    If you're overriding MFP with separately calculated TDEE numbers, no, you do not add exercise calories.

After a LOT of hard sum and experimentations, my TDEE numbers and average MFP with exercise come out as close as makes no odds, so I go the simple route and use MFP as designed. That means those planned five workouts a week have to happen!
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options

Right.

BMR - Basic Metabolic Rate. This is how many calories your body burns just to stay alive. This is what you would burn if you were in a coma.

TDEE - Total Daily Energy Expenditure. This is how many calories you burn in a day including exercise, and can vary greatly depending on your activity levels. A person with a desk job that literally comes home and watches TV, would have a much lower TDEE than say a nurse that comes home and goes on a 5 mile run every night.

There are two ways you can do it:

You can use the MFP way, set your activity level to sedentary and goal to lose 1lb per week, and log and eat back your exercise calories. If you are going to do that, I recommend buying a HRM for maximum accuracy.

Or, you can work out your TDEE, eat 20% below that, and DO NOT eat back your exercise calories, as they will already be accounted for in your TDEE. This works best if you have a set routine. If your exercise is irregular, I'd recommend the 1st option.

Hope this helps.
  • brownmousemama
    brownmousemama Posts: 49 Member
    Options

Right.

BMR - Basic Metabolic Rate. This is how many calories your body burns just to stay alive. This is what you would burn if you were in a coma.

TDEE - Total Daily Energy Expenditure. This is how many calories you burn in a day including exercise, and can vary greatly depending on your activity levels. A person with a desk job that literally comes home and watches TV, would have a much lower TDEE than say a nurse that comes home and goes on a 5 mile run every night.

There are two ways you can do it:

You can use the MFP way, set your activity level to sedentary and goal to lose 1lb per week, and log and eat back your exercise calories. If you are going to do that, I recommend buying a HRM for maximum accuracy.

Or, you can work out your TDEE, eat 20% below that, and DO NOT eat back your exercise calories, as they will already be accounted for in your TDEE. This works best if you have a set routine. If your exercise is irregular, I'd recommend the 1st option.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks! I used this http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ to calculate my TDEE and BMR, and I got BMR of 1716, and a TDEE of 2300 (I put lightly active, as I only workout 30 minutes of so each day and not super intense workout) and it says I should eat 1800 calories a day. This seems really high, as MFP recommended 1200. I am currently at 1500, so 1800 seems like a lot even then....
    Thoughts?
  • ivette52490
    ivette52490 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm really confused too! My net is usually 100-300, my calorie goal consumption is 1.2k (I usually eat between 1.2-1.4k) and I exercise about 900 cals every day on average. I'm 5'10, and 161 lbs. I know that for me to stay on my current weight I would have to consume 1.2k but I'm not sure what the net means? I thought I was suppose to create a deficit so I could lose weight?
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    The calculated calories MFP gives you has already built in a calorie deficit based on how much weight you said you wanted to lose per week. I wanted to lose a pound a week. That is 500 calorie deficit per day (3500 calories per week). If you said you wanted to lose 2 pounds a week, it would pre-calculate a 1000 calorie/day deficit.

MFP wants you to NET the calories it calculates. At this point, I am supposed to net 1280 calories a day. That is how many calories I eat MINUS how much I exercise.

If I eat 2000 calories and exercise 800 calories, I will have netted 1200 calories.

It's just like money. If I sell cheese for $100 and it costs me $30 to make, I have netted $70.

You are NOT EATING enough if what you say is true. You are not eating enough to maintain healthy body functioning.
  • ivette52490
    ivette52490 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Wow I feel pretty dumb now thanks for clearing this up!
  • jmarie1967
    jmarie1967 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    This helped me out too, you are not the only one who was confused. Basically, you have to feed your metabolic rate or you cause your metabolism to slow down and make it harder to lose weight. If we exercise, we speed up our metabolism and get to eat more!
  • fudzzz
    fudzzz Posts: 1
    Options
    Let me clear all this up for those who are still confused, since I've successfully lost fat without MFP in the past, and I started using it recently and have actually messed up my calculations on it and learned the hard way. Now I finally understand how MFP works.

First the basics:

BMR - Basal Metabolic Rate: The amount of calories you need to perform basic functions; to live. This is based on your BMI (Body Mass Index - roughly calculated by height/weight ratio) and age.
    TDEE - Total Daily Energy Expenditure: The amount of calories YOU are burning everyday. This is your activity level.

Generally, in order to SAFELY lose weight, you must have a maximum daily (exception: cheat meal day) calorie deficit of 20% of TDEE. Never go below your BMR.

In MFP, your 'TDEE minus Deficit equals Goal calories'. It calculates your 'Goal calories' according to the activity level you select. This is what confused me when I first started using it because it calculated my goal as 1200, which is much below my BMR and dangerous; however, I didn't realize that MFP also adds your logged exercise calories to 'Net calories' and hence 'Remaining calories'.

This means that if you want to let MFP calculate your goal calories (according to your age, weight, height, activity level settings), then you must stay true to the 'activity level' you've selected.

I, personally, prefer to use Scooby's calculator, as I have been doing for several years. I let it determine my BMR and my exact goal according to ZERO activity level. I plug in my calculated "Daily calories based on goal in step 6" into MFP as my goal calories.

THE MOST CONFUSING PART ABOUT MFP:
    You have two options in the way you use MFP, which is where everyone gets confused; the whole 'net calories' business.

1. If you're using MFPs goal calories calculator (and being honest about your activity level) OR if you're Scooby's calculator (with zero activity) as your goal calories (like I am), then you MUST log your daily exercise into MFP, not just your food intake. MFP deducts your exercise calories from your 'net calories' and adds them to your 'remaining calories' of the day. If you do it this way, you must try to get the 'remaining calories' as close to 'zero' everyday. No need to even look at 'goal calories' and 'net calories' then.

2. If you are NOT logging your daily exercise into MFP (but you're still working out), you must list your activity level as sedentary in MFP (it should be the first choice in the list), and let it calculate your goal calories. OR you can use Scooby's calculator as mentioned above, but this time use an accurate activity level (not sedentary).

Both these above options will show you the correct 'remaining calories' you have to eat per day, instead of you worrying about 'net calories'.

Note: As you lose weight, you must ensure your goal calories are adjusted. If you're letting MFP calculate them, you must update your weight in the app. If you're using Scooby's calculator, you must recalculate with your new weight and add the new goal into MFP.

I hope this has cleared it up for anyone who's still confused.

I learned the hard way, because for two weeks I had plugged in Scooby's calculated calories (with an accurate activity level) as my goal calories in MFP, but I was ALSO logging all my exercises into MFP, giving me surplus calories to eat without me realizing it. Now I am using Scooby's 'sedentary' calculation. Phew!

Good luck all.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    The way I always explain it is to look at your food diary near the bottom where it says "Your Daily Goal". That's the number you need to be at to net your original calorie goal. On non-workout days it will be 1500 (or your goal number) and on workout days if you burn 300 calories it will say 1800 instead. Eating that number nets your goal.
  • Gooddaytostart
    Options
    Thanks for the "simple" explanation. It helped me!