Ready to throw in the towel

Options
For the second time in 2 years I'm on a mission to lose weight. Last year I did really well! Health problems forced me to stop working out for a few months, and I totally fell off the wagon. I had gone from 180 down to 165 last year, gained back 10. I started things up again this year, got down nearly 10 pounds...and have hit a hard plateau that will not quit. I have been on this for about 3 weeks now. I upped my calories from 1200 to 1400, I read the message boards, I lowered my cardio from 2.5 hours a week down to 1 hour, I've increased my water (the best I could)...and if anything, the scale is creeping up, not down.

Now I have to ask before I resign myself to a life of obesity and gluttony - WTF???

Because of my health issues last year, I know my thyroid is good, my health overall is excellent...so why can I not lose any more weight? I'm still doing something by working out, because my inches are dropping, but what's the point if I'm still basically, technically, obese?

Replies

• scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    Plateaus are a b*tch, but it's only been three weeks. After upping your calories (which may not even be high enough) and reducing your cardio- did you add weights? What else are you doing to exercise?
  • Camille0502
    Camille0502 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    My weight loss has stalled since the holidays - but something is hapenning because my clothes are noticeably looser. So don't give up just because the scale is not nice to you! Start eating for the rest of your life and it will be a lifestyle and not a "diet."
  • sam939
    sam939 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have changed things up, adding resistance bands, and light weights. I really had forgotten (from last year) that that really does great work. But even after 2 weeks of that...I'm like a dead fish, floating in the water of no loss. I'm dramatic, I know. But I'm kind of pissed off and frustrated, I don't understand!! We're doing this thing at work, for motivation, see who can lose the biggest percent of weight. Of course, the guy in the group is not even working out, just changing portions and losing left and right.

I thought about going up to 1500 calories, but honestly I had a hard time making 1200 calories on some days, 1400 is really a challenge...I mean, I really am getting full.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    For the second time in 2 years I'm on a mission to lose weight. Last year I did really well! Health problems forced me to stop working out for a few months, and I totally fell off the wagon. I had gone from 180 down to 165 last year, gained back 10. I started things up again this year, got down nearly 10 pounds...and have hit a hard plateau that will not quit. I have been on this for about 3 weeks now. I upped my calories from 1200 to 1400, I read the message boards, I lowered my cardio from 2.5 hours a week down to 1 hour, I've increased my water (the best I could)...and if anything, the scale is creeping up, not down.

Now I have to ask before I resign myself to a life of obesity and gluttony - WTF???

Because of my health issues last year, I know my thyroid is good, my health overall is excellent...so why can I not lose any more weight? I'm still doing something by working out, because my inches are dropping, but what's the point if I'm still basically, technically, obese?

You are dropping inches? What is the problem? The number on the scale? Don't worry about that number if you are losing inches.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have changed things up, adding resistance bands, and light weights. I really had forgotten (from last year) that that really does great work. But even after 2 weeks of that...I'm like a dead fish, floating in the water of no loss. I'm dramatic, I know. But I'm kind of pissed off and frustrated, I don't understand!! We're doing this thing at work, for motivation, see who can lose the biggest percent of weight. Of course, the guy in the group is not even working out, just changing portions and losing left and right.

I thought about going up to 1500 calories, but honestly I had a hard time making 1200 calories on some days, 1400 is really a challenge...I mean, I really am getting full.

1. don't compare your weight loss to a guy's weight loss. My husband quit drinking pop at one point and he dropped 5 lbs in like 2 weeks.

2. you need to find more calorie dense foods. i didn't look at your diary, but my kid probably eats 1200 calories in a day so there is no reason why a grown adult couldn't eat more than that. cottage cheese, almonds, peanut butter, avocado

3. measure yourself to determine progress rather than relying on the number on the scale. and instead of using light weights, do some heavy lifting. you won't turn into a she-hulk because you are already eating at a deficit and we don't have the levels of testosterone to support it.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Good! More bandwidth and space at the gym for the rest of us!

Go down that easy road That is failure, that is giving up. It's an option.

Our you can choose to work hard, to preserver, and to prove everyone, even yourself, wrong.

If this were easy, it would be called the elliptical.
  • BernaBea
    BernaBea Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Get rid of the scale for a month! I had to do that and it really works. Instead of judging your success off a stupid number you judge it off how your cloths fit and how you feel. I got rid of the scale at the beginning of Feb and am not going to weigh in until the 2nd week in March. Cut out ALL processed food and lower your sugar intake. Add the sugar tracker to your MFP. Drink a full glass of water before every meal. Don't eat ANY carbs after 3pm. Most of all remember weight loss takes determination and you have to believe in yourself. You can do this if you set your mind to it and get rid of the scale. Our bodies are more than just a stupid number. Good luck and stay strong.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Three weeks is not long enough to know if you've hit a plateau or to be trying to change up your diet plan. 1 hour a week in cardio is not sufficient. While 1200 calories might not be enough, it can be a good net calorie goal for you, IF you exercise and eat back exercise calories. If you aren't working out enough and you've upped your calories, that will result in a net increase, which means no weight loss.

You're going to need to move more to get through a plateau, if you're even in a plateau. You really need more than 3 weeks to make any determinations about what works for you and what doesn't. Constantly changing your calorie goals and exercise goals is self-defeating.

It took me right around 3 years to lose the weight, with lots of ups and downs in that three years. You've made progress. You just need to get back on track, keep pushing, and the scale will move. Weight loss isn't linear in the strictest sense that you'll lose at a certain rate every week. Some weeks you'll lose more, some less.
  • Surisaddai
    Surisaddai Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Good! More bandwidth and space at the gym for the rest of us!

Go down that easy road That is failure, that is giving up. It's an option.

Our you can choose to work hard, to preserver, and to prove everyone, even yourself, wrong.

If this were easy, it would be called the elliptical.
    Aw this was funny and sad, the elliptical used to be super hard for me. Whoomp, whoop :P
  • Danieboo757
    Options
    If your losing inches thts fine dont worry so much about the number. If african american females our weight is usually distributed in differnet ways and the scale the doctors use to determine if a person is obese is not ethnically(spelling) diverse. for example I'm 5'0 and about 158 and technically im overweight for my height ut if u look at me u might say I look great. my point is go with what you see especially if your overall health is good and FYI carido is the secret to weight lose never decrease cardio if u wanna lose. Good luck!
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    FYI carido is the secret to weight lose never decrease cardio if u wanna lose. Good luck!

and if you want to lose lean body mass, have at it.
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    WhoTheHellIsBen Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    lets see, be on a plateau or quit and get fat. Well seeing how those are the only two options in the entire world and being fat is that appealing I'd say, call it a day and leave. Obviously you're not in this for the right reasons
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    You haven't determined why you truly want to do this. Find your driving force and let it carry you. For me, it was my son. I was tired of always telling him no when he wanted me to play outside, doing something active. Anyhow, stuff comes up in life. This is why people say you have to make lifestyle changes. The first year on here I lost about 50 pounds. The second year I focused more on lifting and body recomposition. Last summer I started having really bad symptoms so I had to stop exercising. Went through a zillion tests. Switched to eat at maintenance because losing was no longer my priority. Finally got a diagnosis and had brain surgery a week ago. Never once during that time did I gain more than 2 pounds I believe this is directly related to the fact that I made lifestyle changes and didn't "diet" or restrict at all. It's all second nature now. Press on. You can do this.
  • MB_Positif
    Options
    sorry, double post
  • sam939
    Options
    I really do love all of the positive (and funny) comments. Although someone may assume that I may be in this for the wrong reasons (recently mentioned!), I have to assure you I'm not. I feel like this is a life change, and one for the better. There are too many family members I have who are obese, who I've watched grow up from children obese, who have such a love for food that it over takes their lives. I don't want that for me or my family. I love eating healthy meals. I love the leafy greens, all the veggies, and beans. I love being a curvy girl too.

But I want to be a healthy curvy girl for the rest of my life. Please don't assume to know me because I feel like throwing in the towel. I've gone through the frustration of going through the burn for a few weeks, and seeing the scale slap me in the face. I will definitely hide the scale for a while, its completely depressing. I'll also up my cardio, but not to what it was before, I'm going to substitute resistance training and weights.

I think upping my calories is a good move, but that will be hard to maintain.
  • tssweety
    tssweety Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi there! You are not alone!! It is frustrating and sometimes we just have to vent and then keep going, which I know is what you are doing!! Our bodies sometimes do what it wants even when we are doing all the right things. It is happening to me right now, which is why i joined my fitness pal. You can do this and you are doing it!! Keep it up and even if you don't lose as much as you want you are leading a healthy lifestyle. I have to tell myself this every day. I exercise 6 days a week, can run up to 5 miles, have completed 90 day programs and am a strong healthy woman!!! So I have an extra 10 lbs I would like gone, it will happen.. even if slowly. So take heart each day make good food choices and continue with your exercise program. Add in a day of stretch or yoga, that helps A LOT!! Have a blessed day!! :)
  • MB_Positif
    Options
    I hope you weren't thinking I was saying you were in it for the wrong reason, I just meant that sometimes we come across a reason that just makes it all click and boom...momentum shows up :heart:
  • transvenouspacer
    transvenouspacer Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    You have to give it more time. In fact, forget about losing weight and just focus on exercising and eating right. Otherwise you are just going to get discouraged and give up. I think it's a good idea for you to put away the scale. It may take months for you to get the results you want. Be patient and stay consistent.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options

If your inches are dropping then you are losing fat....fat is what makes you obese, so all your efforts ARE working.

That is the point.
  • sam939
    Options
    I hope you weren't thinking I was saying you were in it for the wrong reason, I just meant that sometimes we come across a reason that just makes it all click and boom...momentum shows up :heart:

Not at all!! Your words were meaningful and really inspiring to me.