Lifting heavy? Woman - advice please

Options
2»

Replies

• sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I've read the NRFWLFW and modified their workouts - i have medical issues that I need to tailor around and lack of some equipment. I start at my "lowest" weight for 12-14 reps, then up the weight by 5 pounds while dropping the rep by 2-4 for 3-4 sets.

My lowest weight is comfortable, but not easy - IE: it will let me get 12-14 reps with my arms/legs shaking at last rep.

But I'm not worried about bulking, that much I don't care. I'm trying to enhance my fat/weigh loss (cardo/weights/cardo)
  • ClairBears84
    ClairBears84 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I've read the NRFWLFW and modified their workouts - i have medical issues that I need to tailor around and lack of some equipment. I start at my "lowest" weight for 12-14 reps, then up the weight by 5 pounds while dropping the rep by 2-4 for 3-4 sets.

My lowest weight is comfortable, but not easy - IE: it will let me get 12-14 reps with my arms/legs shaking at last rep.

But I'm not worried about bulking, that much I don't care. I'm trying to enhance my fat/weigh loss (cardo/weights/cardo)

This also sounds good..... mmmmmm
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

hypertrophy - what is this?

Haha, sorry. It's basically a fancy bodybuilding term for size.

nooooo dont want to have bigger muscle want to preserve what there is and get strong and lean

The best way to do that is lift heavy while losing weight. End of story. You're not going to turn into a bodybuilder. Your muscles won't get bigger while you lose weight
  • cutchro
    cutchro Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I would recommend reading New Rules of Lifting for Women and/or Starting Strength. Even if you do not follow the program it will give you a good foundation of knowledge and understanding about lifting and nutrition.

You will not get "big" unless you eat at a calorie surplus (i.e. above maintenance/TDEE) for an extended period of time and/or take steroids. Women cannot get bulky without trying very hard to do so.

There is also lots of good information for beginners to lifting in this thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/686963-large-collection-of-info-for-beginners

^^^This!
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Thank you, I am not worried about being bulky i know this is a myth and you need to eat ALOT to do this, I think i should change to higher weight and lower reps
    [/quote]
    :flowerforyou: I'm in the same boat, shame u have to answer your own question to quell the firestorm of 'you will not get bulky' :laugh: talk about knee jerk! Testing reflexes here is crazy easy :ohwell:
  • ClairBears84
    Options
    Thank you, everyone has been great!

I am gonna change my routine and do 2 sets lower weight for 8-12

then

UP the weight and drop the reps for 3 sets

What do you think?
  • ClairBears84
    Options

Thank you, I am not worried about being bulky i know this is a myth and you need to eat ALOT to do this, I think i should change to higher weight and lower reps
    [/quote]
    :flowerforyou: I'm in the same boat, shame u have to answer your own question to quell the firestorm of 'you will not get bulky' :laugh: talk about knee jerk! Testing reflexes here is crazy easy :ohwell:
    [/quote]

hahahahaha, answer based on advice. :blushing:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

then

What do you think?

Tough to say without even knowing what kind of work you're doing. You should really do light weight warm up sets, and increase the weight to a working set where you go as heavy as you can go for 5-10 reps.

I suggest you follow one of the traditional strength training programs, such as Starting Strength or Stronglifts, that focuses on 5 main lifts: the squat, the deadlift, the bench press, the overhead press, and the row. Doing these exercises with a barbell is the simplest, most efficient, and most versatile way because you can increase in increments of 5 lbs instead of 10 lbs as with dumbbells.
  • ClairBears84
    Options

then

What do you think?

Tough to say without even knowing what kind of work you're doing. You should really do light weight warm up sets, and increase the weight to a working set where you go as heavy as you can go for 5-10 reps.

I suggest you follow one of the traditional strength training programs, such as Starting Strength or Stronglifts, that focuses on 5 main lifts: the squat, the deadlift, the bench press, the overhead press, and the row. Doing these exercises with a barbell is the simplest, most efficient, and most versatile way because you can increase in increments of 5 lbs instead of 10 lbs as with dumbbells.

Thank you this is most helpful :flowerforyou:
  • ClairBears84
    Options
    What i have been doing
    UPPER:

bench - rack
    side raises - free weights
    Wide grip pull down
    barbell curl
    hammer curl
    lying dumbell extension