Car Driving Calories

Options
2»

Replies

• perfekta
    perfekta Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I did a couple of searches and couldn't find any exercises related to driving a car, but I would have to assume that unless you power your car like Fred Flintstone your calorie burn when driving is pretty similar to your average burn while just being awake.

But I suppose you could attach resistance bands to your shift knob, disable power steering, and constantly roll the windows up and down... I think I just invented a new fad exercise program!

haha, love it. I am going to quit washing my car during the winter & let the salt build up so I have this as an option!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

haha, love it. I am going to quit washing my car during the winter & let the salt build up so I have this as an option!

Attach ankle weights to your arms and it's like a cross training workout.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I don't see an entry for driving a car, but I do see one for driving - as in playing golf.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    But I suppose you could attach resistance bands to your shift knob, disable power steering, and constantly roll the windows up and down... I think I just invented a new fad exercise program!

Bahahahaaa, this made me laugh
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Hi - I have posted this in the general forum as well .. but wondered if you could answer the question .. I noticed that there is listed in the exercise programs an entry for driving a car. The results i get from that are hard to believe so can someone tell me how that is calculating calories so i can actually believe what it is telling me ???

For NASCAR and F1 driver....yes!
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    not sure if serious . . .
  • cominupmilhouse
    cominupmilhouse Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I dunno about cars, but definitely riding a motorcycle all day, ESPECIALLY when it's cold out there, feels like a workout the next morning!!
  • gioisa75
    gioisa75 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Unless you are race car driver it does not count.
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    this is obviously a joke
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    umm yea. don't log that.
  • HotAshMess
    HotAshMess Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend wishes. He seems to think that he should get credit for lots of exercise because he is in and out of the truck and walking up driveways all day. I only have him at a light activity level because let's face it...he drives all over town.
  • _LilPowerHouse
    _LilPowerHouse Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Who logs "driving" as an exercise? Why not "sitting" or "sleeping"? Some people will do anything to rationalize eating junk.

^^^^^^^^^^ Exactly this.. is this even a serious post???

Unless of course you're driving off-road like this.
    insaneoffroaddriving.gif

That may burn a few calories. :laugh:
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

That may burn a few calories. :laugh:

I think the driver left a few calories in his underwear!
  • drewboy30
    drewboy30 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Loving the responses !!!

Yes this was a serious post because that Exercise was in the database and I was curious as to why or even how it was worked out ?? As many have said its not a valid exercise in my eyes for the reasons already listed above !!!

I just checked and it is still in the the database ??
  • drewboy30
    drewboy30 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Love it !!! ... thanks for that .. :D
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Hi - I have posted this in the general forum as well .. but wondered if you could answer the question .. I noticed that there is listed in the exercise programs an entry for driving a car. The results i get from that are hard to believe so can someone tell me how that is calculating calories so i can actually believe what it is telling me ???

The reason driving a car should not be in the database as exercise is because it isn't exercise. It is sitting still in the car.

How many calories does it say it burns lol
  • sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    There should really be one for manual transmission cars in severe traffic jam. After 20 minutes I always feel like I can't move my left leg any more. :smile:
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    There should really be one for manual transmission cars in severe traffic jam. After 20 minutes I always feel like I can't move my left leg any more. :smile:

And there should be one for shaking my fist at people who are pissing me off while in a severe traffic jam.
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Racing cars is actually very physically demanding.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/racing/you-think-driving-an-indy-car-is-easy

And: "During a race, a driver’s heart rate is similar to that seen in marathon runners and long-distance cyclists--reaching 85-95% of its capacity"
    http://www.autoracingnews.org/automotive-news/physical-demands-faced-drivers-requires-specialized-physical-training

Every day driving, not so much.
  • ChloeRoseLejeune
    Options
    If you're driving stick, you can potentially develop some serious forearm muscles :laugh: