Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Is it possible to lose 40 pounds in a 3 month period?

Hellooo there. I am Mikayla :). I weigh around 144 and my goal is to lose around 40 pounds (or as much as possible) by May. My sister's wedding is going to be during May in China, and I really don't want to be called fat or chubby by my own relatives and their friends. I made the biggest mistake of going through a yo-yo diet so now I don't look as skinny as before. :blushing:
Is it possible to lose 40 pounds in such a short time?

Replies

• Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Yes, start by chopping off your arms and legs.
  • Yes, start by chopping off your arms and legs.
    I prefer the other way of losing weight. :wink:
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    At 144 already.. and looking to get to 104.. Probably not.
  • that is pretty extreme to lose that much that quick. you are not heavy now! just drink water, exercise and cut back and food and you will get results
  • sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    Haircut?
  • Yes.

I lost about 60 pounds in 3 months once.

Gained back all of it, and here I am. :) Wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
  • Yes.

What diet did you go through? I'm sorry about that. :(
  • Hi, I have a question for you. How tall are you? I think trying to lose that amount of weight in that short period of time is very dangerous. I would not worry about what other people has to say. Enjoy your sister's wedding and learn about the culture of China.
  • ASmiles
    ASmiles Posts: 8 Member
    Possible, yes. Sensible, no.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Yes ---- start with at least 100 pounds to lose
  • Yes.

What diet did you go through? I'm sorry about that. :(

I just ate 1200-1500 calories a day and exercised an hour a day.

The problem with quick loss is that your head doesn't have time to get in the right place. Up until the last pound, I was just focusing on the fact that I could go back to eating whatever I wanted when I reached my goal weight.

Depriving yourself is not a good idea - very dangerous for your body and mind.
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 924 Member
    She is 5 foot 1, says so in her profile.
  • to be honest its not realistic at all. it took me 4 months to lose 22 pounds. in all honesty to aim for that would set yourself up for disappointment. I would aim for something more realistic . I do mini goals and set them in 10 pound intervals.
  • Hi, I have a question for you. How tall are you? I think trying to lose that amount of weight in that short period of time is very dangerous. I would not worry about what other people has to say. Enjoy your sister's wedding and learn about the culture of China.
    I am about 5'1 (really short).
    How much do you think I could lose?
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 924 Member
    I lost 40 pounds in 5 months. I am a very determined person and did not cheat except for maybe 4-5 days total throughout that time period. I was all over MFP learning everything I could to ensure success. Actually my goal was to lose only 27 pounds and I met it sooner than I thought!

I did 45 days straight of Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred (10 days at level 1, 10 at 2, 10 at 3, repeat) and then Jillian's Body Revolution came in the mail. I did that for the next 90 days or so straight! There is one rest day per week built into that program, which I took advantage of.

I drank at least 8 glasses of water per day, cut down on cheese and bread pretty drastically. I stuck within what MFP recommends for me, and I usually ate back at least half of my exercise calories.

I started from a decent diet, just eating too much and really no exercise except for running after the girls- but I never broke a sweat doing that (well, a few times, but not regularly).

I bought a heart rate monitor to log my calories burned, pre planned my meals and measure or weigh ALL of my food to ensure accuracy in reporting. I believe in the math behind the numbers, so it is important to be accurate.

So I would say, 40 may be a bit too high. Set your goal at 25, that would still be a great weight! And you will be more likely to stick with your LIFE changes if you are making good progress on your timeline. BEST OF LUCK!
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    If you are only 144 lbs now ( you didn't mention a height) and want to get to 104lbs I doubt you will be able to do that in three months. When you are smaller the weight comes off slower. Especially those last few lbs. Trying tot ake 40lbs off in such a short time would require you to do it in an unhealthy way causing you to lose a decent chunk of muscle mass. If you have yo yo dieted in the past you most likely have lost some muscle along the way.

Lose what you can while being healthy. I don't mean to sound rude or mean but at your sisters wedding, people will not be paying attention to you. They will be paying attention to the bride and groom. Get a dress you feel confident in and don't worry about weight. Regardless of your weight, confidence is what people see.
  • I lost 40 pounds starting at 240 lbs in 5 months - that was 16% of my body weight - in a very healthy maintainable way by using moderation.

You want to lose 40 pounds starting at 144 lbs in 3 months - that is 27% of your body weight. This would require extreme measures; nothing that would make you healthy in the long term. I would say the likelihood of you gaining it all back (and more) is 99.99%.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    May 26 is 3 months from now, so any date before that is less than 3 months.

I don't think 40 pounds is possible in that amount of time without amputation. But 15-20 is entirely within the realm of possibility.
  • 30ismyyear
    30ismyyear Posts: 145 Member
    Unfortunately you can't do it and still be healthy. But that doesn't mean you can't tone up your body and look great. Plus, finding a great dress can help hide anything you couldn't lose in time.

At 144, I would think a goal of 15-20 is doable...
  • Yes, I have