do ya do buffets especially Chinese

Options
2»

Replies

• tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I have lost 50 lbs eating Chinese buffet almost every week. We have a big family dinner every Sunday and Dad likes his chinese! I eat a little of anything I want, but as I have changed over the past year I find I prefer a lot more vegetables dishes and less fried foods than I used to. I also use a soup bowl to eat from instead of a plate. I log it as a generic chinese buffet that I found in the data base for 1250 calories. Obviously, that is just a guess but it's working for me. =)
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I love Chinese buffets! We play a game when we go: Who Can Get the Most Types of Animals on a Plate? Salmon counts separate from white fish, but all other fish are "white fish". And mussels, clams and oysters are generally all considered one animal for the purpose of the the game. And you have to eat them all to count.

My personal best is 13 animals on a plate.

I am so going to try this!
  • abbyrae1
    abbyrae1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    if you think its going to throw you off your game, don't do it.
    If there is a healthy alternative you can start off with (i.e. salad bar, fruit, etc) start with that, and if you can't resist a crab rangoon, limit yourself to one.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    Good advice on here....I love Chinese food...and one buffet in town in particular. I have already looked up what I like to eat and it isn't horrible calorie wise. Thank goodness!!! I love my veggies. =) I haven't been in FOREVER...but am actually planning to go this Friday (belated date with hubby). I love the chicken and mushrooms with jalapenos (lots of flavor, very satisfying. I do not get rice or noodles of any sort. I stick with veggies and non breaded meats . But will allow myself a few cheese wontons. YUM
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    Good advice on here....I love Chinese food...and one buffet in town in particular. I have already looked up what I like to eat and it isn't horrible calorie wise. Thank goodness!!! I love my veggies. =) I haven't been in FOREVER...but am actually planning to go this Friday (belated date with hubby). I love the chicken and mushrooms with jalapenos (lots of flavor, very satisfying. I do not get rice or noodles of any sort. I stick with veggies and non breaded meats . But will allow myself a few cheese wontons. YUM

good advice from you. leave off rice and noodles, thanks. I am fine with the chicken and green bean stuff and veg, might have to have cream cheese puff though.
  • peckish_pomegranate
    Options
    Going to a Chinese buffet is asking to overeat. Avoid buffets of any kind. Go to a REAL Chinese restaurant and have normally portioned meals.
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    When I go to buffets, Chinese or not, I make it a point to bring my plate back to the table with more veggies on it than carbs or meats. I usually skip the desserts, and will not go hog wild. Drink plenty of water the whole day (if you know ahead of time) and if the place offers a salad, bring that back first. Skip the things you can make at home (someone else mentioned that) don't go crazy on noodle dishes... And remember, if you go over you can either work out or move past it, learning your lesson that you aren't very good at controlling yourself at buffets...
    PS The hardest thing for me is a breakfast buffet because I live and BREATHE breakfast foods... I could eat them all day everyday and not get sick of them!
  • galenofedgewood
    galenofedgewood Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Buffet on an off day and go flipping crazy. After a week or two of restricting, I can't eat more than a plate and a half without puking anyway.

Or
    Stick to meats and vegetables that aren't sweet sauced or fried/breaded.

This.

Well, not the puking part but I sure as heck wish that I could some of the time. It'd get the overeating out of my system faster.
  • erinlibke
    erinlibke Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Check out this awesome website for good tips on how to make smart choices. There is also a virtual buffet where you can load up your plate and see how many calories some of the most popular dishes have!

http://www.weightwatchers.ca/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=51551
  • pumpkinspice84
    pumpkinspice84 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Once I start thinking about all of the hands that touch the same serving spoons and how Many of those people probably got mouth germs on their hands from eating foods that don't require utensils...I just can't do it. But then I fear that books I have checked out at the library have been someone's bathroom read.

This! Also not knowing how long the food has been sitting out under a heat lamp. The last time I ate at a buffet I got sick. I would make sure to only go on a busy night. That way you know the food is fresh.
  • Andrew_peter
    Andrew_peter Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Used to all the time, but haven't in two months now, results have been great Simply too much deep fried goodness and temptation to go around I think!! But am planning to attend to one on my birthday for a treat with friends if the progress continues.
  • loved1
    loved1 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I used to go to buffets all the time when I was dating a guy who enjoyed the buffets and I had the pounds to show for it. I rarely do buffets now. I will be going to Fogo de Chao in the coming weeks - not buffet but all you can eat Brazilian steakhouse - for an annual birthday celebration.
  • gdortiz
    gdortiz Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Good advice on here....I love Chinese food...and one buffet in town in particular. I have already looked up what I like to eat and it isn't horrible calorie wise.

Sorry, don't want to get on you, but you can't be serious ... if you are, then god help you! lol

there probably isn't a worst place to eat than a Chinese buffet ... take it from someone that has a best friend that worked at one.

Also, the sauces, even in veggie and lean dishes EASILY are 250 calories per serving and LOADED with sodium and sugar.

the reason why the chicken and beef is so tender in a lot of popular dishes (e.g. beef and broccoli, szechuan chicken) is because its first boiled/blanched deeply in oil, than stir fried.
  • Diane_SK
    Diane_SK Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Chinese buffets where I live often have salad bars, and fruit on the dessert table. I try to eat some salad (watch dressing, of course) or fruit and cottage cheese plus a cup of soup first so I'm less hungry when I hit the entrees. Then I look for meats that aren't breaded and fried and try to stick to about half a cup of white rice. I also load up on broccoli out of the broccoli beef.

If, after I've made the healthiest choices I can at the buffet, I still want something fried, I go back for it. At this point, I'm too full to have much of it anyway--a couple of pieces of orange chicken or a crab rangoon will satisfy the taste buds and, like you say, not do too much harm. And then I don't walk away feeling deprived.

Very impressed with the freedom and logic of this good advice. Admittedly, It is what I recently did at a beautiful evening out with my Mother. Full plate of gorgeous salad, wish I had thought of soup too, then healthy choices from hot food, broccoli, mushrooms, bean spout medley, and grilled skewered shrimp, then last plate, since I was pretty satisfied, a few deep fried yummies, and a few Sushi. Felt great, and did not want dessert.
    Thanks for posting.
    Diane