lets talk about insulin

Options
First, I'm hoping to get some significant input from people with either formal education in this area, or at the very least extensive reading on the topic, rather than people who know all about insulin because they read a couple of articles Health magazine, saw it on the Dr. Oz show, heard a nutritionist tell a co-worker's brother something, etc.

There seems to be a lot of concern on the boards about insulin... sometimes as strong as "OMG, I just ate a saltine cracker... tomorrow I'm going to wake up 100lbs heavier and diabetic! What do I do?" Other people downplay it completely, as if it were irrelevant in the bigger picture.

I'm by no means an expert on insulin, which is why I'm hoping more knowledgeable people will chime in. But since I'm posting this thread, I feel the need to stay something in order to get conversation going.

So...
Let's start with the most basic question... what is insulin's function in the body? What does it really do?

My understanding is that it's basically a signalling chemical. It tells you cells when to build tissue. The higher your insulin levels, the stronger that signal to build will be. It is also my understanding that insulin isn't specific to to fat or anything else... that it simply tells your cells to build tissue, and what types of tissue they build is dependent on a variety of factors.

True? Completely wrong? What say you?

Replies

• youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Have you seen this info from Kreiger?
    http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319
  • siblita
    siblita Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    It does at least 2 main things - (as science advances we may find more):

1. "Insulin binds to a receptor at the muscle cell surface, allowing glucose to be transported across the cell membrane to be used for energy or to replace depleted glycogen levels. Without the action of those glucose transporters being turned on by insulin, glucose is stuck floating around in the fluid outside our cells."

2. "And in fat cells, stimulating the same receptor shuts off fat release and promoted fatty acid uptake, triglyceride synthesis, and fat storage"

my source is The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living by Drs Phinney and Volek.

I have never heard of it telling cells when to build tissue.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

Good stuff, thanks. It certainly goes into more detail, but by in large it lines up pretty well with what I think I know.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    It does at least 2 main things - (as science advances we may find more):

1. "Insulin binds to a receptor at the muscle cell surface, allowing glucose to be transported across the cell membrane to be used for energy or to replace depleted glycogen levels. Without the action of those glucose transporters being turned on by insulin, glucose is stuck floating around in the fluid outside our cells."

2. "And in fat cells, stimulating the same receptor shuts off fat release and promoted fatty acid uptake, triglyceride synthesis, and fat storage"

my source is The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living by Drs Phinney and Volek.

I have never heard of it telling cells when to build tissue.

Sorry.. that was probably oversimplified and perhaps a little biased explanation. Yes, everything you said in your first point I have also read and is what I attempted to gloss over with my builder reference. When glucose is transported into a cell it is able to be processed (for lack of a better word)... either used as energy or stored. The storing is what I was getting at when I talked about building tissue.

Point number 2 I have some fuzzy, vague understanding of but need to do more reading on.

Thanks for the post.
  • ThomasRGrady
    Options
    okay ... I look at things much more simply than many people seem to want to discuss. I am a diabetic and take both Lantis and Novolin 70/30 daily and at one time in amounts that would probably kill a horse. I am very insulin resistant.

One of the first things to keep in mind - if you take insulin, it means your body will 'create' weight through the process of feeding your cells. That is in its simplest form exactly what insulin is suppose to do. One of the big problems, particularly for new diabetics, is weight gain once insulin use begins. And let's be real here ... diabetes is in its simplest form - starvation. You cannot process the food properly and your body believes it is starving. This never ends until your body can produce enough insulin to maintain a balance without assistance.. Thus people gain weight.

The second thing that is important is how you handle your insulin with whatever diet you design. I can't give you good answers, because I don't do things the recommended ways. My personal pattern is eat nothing until lunch time and then dinner. I usually have to have a snack in the afternoon and before bedtime (something I am trying to eliminate - but years of repetition are hard to beat. I then have to look at my activity (exercise) for the day. That is something extremely important because you burn energy and you are not completely replacing it when on a diet program. This is when you can drop very low in your blood sugar ( obviously). I am fortunate that my body tells me (via tremors) when I drop too low and I can supplement my sugar needs via carbs or whatever.

With this all said, I use my BS measurements to lower my insulin intake until I reach a balance. I have literally cut my insulin in half in the 6 or 7 weeks I have been on the program. I am hoping once I reach my goal weight, insulin will be a thing of the past.

I don't know if this helps, perhaps I can answer more specific questions if anyone wants to post them.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

^ This link is exceptional and I spam it frequently. I would recommend that people read it multiple times.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

^ This link is exceptional and I spam it frequently. I would recommend that people read it multiple times.

Let's see now. I'm trying to remember who it was that first showed me that?.............................

That's right! It was you!! (said in my best Jerry Sienfeld voice)
  • siblita
    Options
    I read the article linked above, and while it does have some good points, I think that it dealing with folks with a normally functioning pancreas. The trouble comes in when the body's insulin response is not accurate - in the case of too much insulin response, which is a factor in insulin resistance, and the reactive hypoglycemia that hyperinsulinemia creates. (which triggers hunger, even when the person knows they just ate a couple hours ago and should not be hungry).

I think that the dietary advise of the decades to eat every 2 -3 hours never lets the insulin levels decrease, keeping people on a blood sugar roller coaster (unless they have a well functioning endocrine system and can keep it steady despite).

What I am seeing is that the endocrine system is so damn complex, and interdependent, I am leery of the experts that say do x,z, and z. As a type 2 diabetic, I just watch my glucose meter, labs, carb craving levels, and weight loss to see if I'm on the right track. But I am fascinated with the science of it.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options

Let's see now. I'm trying to remember who it was that first showed me that?.............................

That's right! It was you!! (said in my best Jerry Sienfeld voice)

Already bookmarked for a later read. Thanks guys.
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options

So...
    Let's start with the most basic question... what is insulin's function in the body? What does it really do?

My understanding is that it's basically a signalling chemical. It tells you cells when to build tissue. The higher your insulin levels, the stronger that signal to build will be. It is also my understanding that insulin isn't specific to to fat or anything else... that it simply tells your cells to build tissue, and what types of tissue they build is dependent on a variety of factors.

True? Completely wrong? What say you?

I am a fourth year medical student - whose almost done with rotations, so not a Dr but I will have my MD in a few months.

People on boards do freak out about insulin too much in my opinion so I'll just give you a basic overview then my thoughts on in it - however I just want to preface saying that I am going to be discussing it in regards to a healthy person, if someone has DM type II or I or is prediabetic then they are under a different set of circumstances

Insulin is secreted by your pancreas and has a number of functions - like you said it gives a 'building signal' which encourages adipose/muscle production, it opens certain glucose channels which allow sugar to enter certain cells including skeletal muscle tissue and it promotes the formation of glycogen which is a stored form of energy.

people typically spike insulin when they are post-prandial or in a post feeding state and a normal persons sugar will return to their 'baseline' level usually within two hours.

In regards to dieting: Insulin does not make you fat, people believe that their low carb diets are working because they arent spiking insulin but in reality the reason why low carb causes you to lose weight is because you are depleting your glycogen (which takes a lot longer then people think, you wont deplete all your glycogen in one hard workout, it takes a while) so your body has to oxidize fat - betaoxidation of fatty acids releases ketone bodies --> hence why people like to say they are in ketosis, just a fancy way to say you are producing ketones.

should you really be worrying about insulin? unless you are diabetic or have some sort of metabolic abnormality, in other words you are a 'normal' individual - no, just eat at a deficit and the weight will come off. Also as a note when you eat a large protein/fat based meal you will still spike an insulin level - it doesn't require some magic number of carbs.

If you are a person concerned about Insulin resistance then I encourage you to visit your Dr.
  • gypsyrose64
    gypsyrose64 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I scanned the entire article, but didn't see where it addressed insulin resistance.

At one time I saw an endocrinologist and tests showed my fasting insulin levels were way higher than norm. So it seems I have a large quantity of insulin floating around with nothing to do outside of blocking fat release.

He explained it that insulin is like a key that unlocks the cell's front door, allowing glucose to be used by the cell for energy. When the key doesn't work, you end up up with fatigue and fat storage. The body senses high glucose and ramps up insulin production to level out blood sugars, but you don't get the benefit of the energy conversion. Glucose ends up being filtered out the kidneys and urine instead of being used for energy. Eventually you end up with kidney damage and diabetes when the pancreas says f--- this and burns out trying to keep the insulin production up. That's why insulin resistance is the precursor to diabetes 2. At least that is how I understand the process.

I quit that doc because he was a rude loon, and haven't gone back to explore this with another doc. Wish I understood "insulin resistance" better....and how to reverse it. I eat at a deficit and can't lose substantial weight to save my life. MOST fat deposits are in my tummy. I am almost NEVER hungry, so I have to force myself to eat most of the time (probably due to the higher level of insulin floating in my system causing appetite suppression). I've read that exercise lower's the cell's resistance to the "insulin key", but I'm sure it's more complicated than that.

Anyways, I don't really have any science to add here... just rambling.
  • ModoVincere
    ModoVincere Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    okay ... I look at things much more simply than many people seem to want to discuss. I am a diabetic and take both Lantis and Novolin 70/30 daily and at one time in amounts that would probably kill a horse. I am very insulin resistant.

One of the first things to keep in mind - if you take insulin, it means your body will 'create' weight through the process of feeding your cells. That is in its simplest form exactly what insulin is suppose to do. One of the big problems, particularly for new diabetics, is weight gain once insulin use begins. And let's be real here ... diabetes is in its simplest form - starvation. You cannot process the food properly and your body believes it is starving. This never ends until your body can produce enough insulin to maintain a balance without assistance.. Thus people gain weight.

The second thing that is important is how you handle your insulin with whatever diet you design. I can't give you good answers, because I don't do things the recommended ways. My personal pattern is eat nothing until lunch time and then dinner. I usually have to have a snack in the afternoon and before bedtime (something I am trying to eliminate - but years of repetition are hard to beat. I then have to look at my activity (exercise) for the day. That is something extremely important because you burn energy and you are not completely replacing it when on a diet program. This is when you can drop very low in your blood sugar ( obviously). I am fortunate that my body tells me (via tremors) when I drop too low and I can supplement my sugar needs via carbs or whatever.

With this all said, I use my BS measurements to lower my insulin intake until I reach a balance. I have literally cut my insulin in half in the 6 or 7 weeks I have been on the program. I am hoping once I reach my goal weight, insulin will be a thing of the past.

I don't know if this helps, perhaps I can answer more specific questions if anyone wants to post them.

keep up the good work!
    Personally, I'm struggling to find the balance....I go low at night off 14 units of Levimir and find myself going 350+ during the daytime. I am consideriing asking for a meal time insulin as well.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    The best way to deal with insulin resistance is with a reduced carb diet. However, there isn't much solid information on how low to go. Read The South Beach Diet for more information, as well as looking at some of the PCOS threads. A lot of women are diagnosed with PCOS based purely on their blood work and insulin levels, without ever checking for actual cysts.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Tagging for the discussion
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Bump... as well.
  • siblita
    Options
    should you really be worrying about insulin? unless you are diabetic or have some sort of metabolic abnormality, in other words you are a 'normal' individual - no, just eat at a deficit and the weight will come off. Also as a note when you eat a large protein/fat based meal you will still spike an insulin level - it doesn't require some magic number of carbs.

[/quote]

But the problem is that insulin resistance is a continuum - normal looking people may have it for years before it reaches the level of diabetes. The low fat high carb diet promoted everywhere is just putting fuel on the fire to develop diabetes years later.

For years I was "normal" and had a rather kick *kitten* metabolism, but all the while my pancreas was overproducing until it just couldn't keep up. I think of all the skim milk I drank as a kid/teen/young adult and shudder. I was unknowingly hastening the insulin resistance.

Is there an easy way to know if one will have a problem with insulin resistance later in life, so they can then eat accordingly to avoid the metabolic dysfunction?
  • opalescence
    opalescence Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    bump... for reading that link later tonight at home.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    I read the article linked above, and while it does have some good points, I think that it dealing with folks with a normally functioning pancreas. The trouble comes in when the body's insulin response is not accurate - in the case of too much insulin response, which is a factor in insulin resistance, and the reactive hypoglycemia that hyperinsulinemia creates. (which triggers hunger, even when the person knows they just ate a couple hours ago and should not be hungry).

I think that the dietary advise of the decades to eat every 2 -3 hours never lets the insulin levels decrease, keeping people on a blood sugar roller coaster (unless they have a well functioning endocrine system and can keep it steady despite).

What I am seeing is that the endocrine system is so damn complex, and interdependent, I am leery of the experts that say do x,z, and z. As a type 2 diabetic, I just watch my glucose meter, labs, carb craving levels, and weight loss to see if I'm on the right track. But I am fascinated with the science of it.

The problem is that the bleating sheep of the general populace act as if they should handle insulin in the same ways that diabetics do. I'm not sure of the exact statistics, but I'm certain that most people do not have issues with insulin, and if they suspect that they do, they should really have it confirmed by a doctor before they presume that there diet is impacted by it.

What I mean is that there is a general fear that carbs and sugars somehow cause weight gain, when the reality is, that most people are not going to gain weight because they ate a banana.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

But the problem is that insulin resistance is a continuum - normal looking people may have it for years before it reaches the level of diabetes. The low fat high carb diet promoted everywhere is just putting fuel on the fire to develop diabetes years later.

For years I was "normal" and had a rather kick *kitten* metabolism, but all the while my pancreas was overproducing until it just couldn't keep up. I think of all the skim milk I drank as a kid/teen/young adult and shudder. I was unknowingly hastening the insulin resistance.

Is there an easy way to know if one will have a problem with insulin resistance later in life, so they can then eat accordingly to avoid the metabolic dysfunction?

Just because it could happen doesn't mean people should make the assumptions that it will, unless perhaps, they are genetically predisposed.