Is there a point to lifting weights?

Options
So I get that it is great in general. But for someone losing weight with a calorie deficit, is there really any point? I am running, and doing other forms of cardio. I'm losing weight, I feel great.... what is the point of lifting? Would it make more since to wait until I am closer to my goal to begin lifting since you can't build muscle with a calorie deficit?

Edit to clarify: I understand the importance of maintaining muscle mass. I also do bodyweight exercises to maintain muscle but is there a point to "lifting" since I can't actually build muscle? It seems like it would be a waste of time. I'm not talking about "cross training" I consider that cardio. I mean heavy lifting.

Replies

• trb85
    trb85 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    If you're only concerned with a number on the scale, keep doing what you're doing.

If your goal is to be toned and lean, then you need to pick up the weights.

It's not too early to start incorporating weight training.
  • DaBossLady24
    DaBossLady24 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    If you're only concerned with a number on the scale, keep doing what you're doing.

If your goal is to be toned and lean, then you need to pick up the weights.

It's not too early to start incorporating weight training.

^^ Ditto to what was said above.

Plus, only cardio exercises without some form of resistance training or weight training could cause you to lose lean body mass (LBM) which would be the muscle that you intend to keep.
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    It is important to do while you are losing weight because it helps to maintain the lean mass you already have, otherwise you will lose some of it. I'm sure you don't just want to lose weight, but you want to also change your body composition right? Why not add strength training in to maintain what you have so you don't lose some of it and have to build it back later?
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    As a dude asthetically men look better with muscle tone (take it from a woman...skinny guys aren't so hot). Not to mention it is great for your health.

It is never too early to start weight training, even if it is only 2 days a week to start.
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Use it or lose it basically. If you don't lift heavy things then your body has no reason to keep muscle while you're dieting.
  • msandwich
    Options
    I agree with the others. You might get smaller, but you won't get toned or defined. Body transformation is a lot more than just "losing weight". Its about a change in body composition. I've seen big pear shaped people lose weight through nothing but low calories and cardio. But they ended up looking like smaller pears.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Lots of people lift weights because they have recomposition goals, rather than just weight loss goals. Additionally, people lift weights to increase strength, which can have a pretty large impact on what we do on a day-to-day basis.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    It is important to do while you are losing weight because it helps to maintain the lean mass you already have, otherwise you will lose some of it. I'm sure you don't just want to lose weight, but you want to also change your body composition right? Why not add strength training in to maintain what you have so you don't lose some of it and have to build it back later?

This. Start now to keep hold of the LBM you already have - its a lot harder to lose it then decide you want to build it back later.
  • dobenjam
    dobenjam Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    As a dude asthetically men look better with muscle tone (take it from a woman...skinny guys aren't so hot). Not to mention it is great for your health.

It is never too early to start weight training, even if it is only 2 days a week to start.

Trust me, I'm no where near skinny yet, so there is no danger of that. I plan on lifting eventually and I actually do bodyweight exercises to try and "maintain" what I have, but is there a point to actual lifting yet? Since you can't build muscle anyway with a calorie deficit?
  • shrinkingbrian
    shrinkingbrian Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I did just cardio for the first six months into my weight loss plan but about six months ago, I added weight training to my exercise regime. I am not losing as fast as I was doing just cardio but I am now a firm believer in adding weight training to any exercise program. I am starting to see some muscle definition which is great. I also feel so much better.
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options

Trust me, I'm no where near skinny yet, so there is no danger of that. I plan on lifting eventually and I actually do bodyweight exercises to try and "maintain" what I have, but is there a point to actual lifting yet? Since you can't build muscle anyway with a calorie deficit?

Yeah the logic is: if you do resistance training while losing #s and eating right (even if less), more of the stuff you lose is fat than muscle.

Objective isn't to gain muscle, it's to stop losing it.
  • Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    The more muscle you have the more calories you burn while at rest. Muscle increases metabolism. So if you want to be able to eat like a normal person instead of a bird when you reach your goal you should be incorporating some strength training into your routine.

Another way to look it is is through body fat %. You can lose weight but not lose any body fat by percentage. By building muscle you can help your body change the percentages to increase your lean mass while decreasing your body fat.

Good luck! I think like 3 days a week would be good to start and you don't have to go crazy, just find some simple exercises like squats, pushups, lunges, crunches etc and you don't even need any weights.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Wait. Why cant you build muscle?

Something to consider is that the more muscle you have built up, the more calories you burn doing absolutely nothing.

Also, lifting weights strengthens your bones which you may not care much about now but when you get older you will.

Finally, muscles are sexy.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options

I don't think I've ever heard anyone complain about getting stronger. Similarly, I've never heard anyone say, "I wish hadn't started lifting weights early on" but I have heard people say the opposite. I'm not a trainer or anything. There are programs that are more suited to beginners. I imagine doing body weight exercises and working isolated muscle groups to start would be reasonable. Eventually/soon (depending on your performance) you may want to consider a lifting a program.
  • BHetrick
    BHetrick Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Cardio - you're burning fat while you're doing it.

Weight training - you're burning fat while you're doing it and afterwards. Breaking down your muscle fibers requires energy to repair them.

When it comes to weight training, don't think you have to lift to failure constantly. You can lift lighter and go for higher reps. Your end goal is to fatigue your muscles.
  • susannahsutton1
    Options

.?? I have been running a calorie deficit for 8 weeks, involving dieting, cardio and weights. I have lost 14lb and my body fat % is down 8% so I must be getting some muscle. My middle is firmer and legs slimmer
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Absolutely there is a point. The less muscle you lose the better. Also if you are obese, you CAN, not WILL, but CAN put on muscle in the beginning while losing fat.

I would by far rather lose 10 pounds of fat vs 20 pounds of both muscle and fat. Well, unless you don't want that muscle I guess.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Preservation of LBM...yes, you can accomplish this with body weight training...but it takes much longer to get all of your sets and reps in to fatigue failure. Thus far I seem to have preserved almost all of my LBM while eating at a deficit and I have to give that credit to my weight training and protein intake.

Also functional strength gains. I've made impressive strength gains eating at a deficit and doing Starting Strength. I'm going to be in a much better position once I get to maintenance in RE to my strength performance and putting on some LBM. I like staying ahead of the game.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Use it or lose it basically. If you don't lift heavy things then your body has no reason to keep muscle while you're dieting.

This. As you lose weight, your body will shed weight that it sees as the least necessary. By lifting, you are telling your body you need the muscle to function on a daily basis. So lifting will help retain muscle while you lose weight. If you're losing weight while keeping muscle, then you are losing a greater percentage of fat than you would be otherwise. Fat loss and muscle retention has heath benefits, functional benefits in day to day life, and aesthetic benefits (even if you don't see them now, no reason to try to add back muscle you lost while dieting once you've reached your goal weight).
  • mperez57
    mperez57 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You can build muscle even on a deficit the effect is just lessened. Based on what what you eat (higher protein) added resistance can tone and build some muscle. The more muscle you have the more calories you burn when your not at the gym because muscle uses more calories to maintain itself. So remember anything in excess can be bad its all about balance. Weight is simply a number, you should focus on body comp. Skinny and healthy are not automatically the same lol.