Looking for some expert advice about plateaus...

Options
Every time I go to lose weight I always get stuck at the same number on the scale. Last time the only way I could get over the hump was to starve myself. I really don't want to do that again. So far to my knowledge I have tried everything. I have changed my calorie intake up and down to jump start my metabolism, changed up my workouts, incorporated weights into my workouts, working out for longer, eating some of my activity calories, drinking 8 glasses of water a day, changing up the recipes and foods I eat. I have been at a stall for almost 2 months now. Someone mentioned that maybe my body is telling me this is where I am supposed to be. I refuse to stop here! I am 180 lbs now, and last year was 165 before I got pregnant with my daughter. There has to be a way to get there again. I know my body has changed after 2 kids, and that I have more weight to lose/tone in the belly area. I don't want to give up, but this is really making me want to. Any advice would be great, thanks!

Replies

• mskitson
    mskitson Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am with you on this and I don't know what to do either. I hit 147 pounds and every time it always either stays there or goes up by a few pounds without fail! It is driving me insane and I also have tried switching up exercise and eating habits and I don't know what else to do. If you figure anything out let me know and I'll be sure to do the same. People talk about plateaus all of the time and I never really understood it, but dangit there's gotta be a way!
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, nor have I ever played one on T.V., but based on research I've been doing, I think you will get best result if you concentrate on building muscle. Muscle burns fat, and the theory goes that once you have enough of it, you will start losing weight again. If you starve yourself, your body will metabolize muscle because it wants to save fat as a last resort against starving to death, and that pesky muscle burns too much of precious fat.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Here is how I broke plateaus (personally and others on here). First, take a break from dieting. Set your account to maintenance and do not exercise for a week. After that week, set your account to 1/2 - 1 lb per week and if you exercise eat 50% of the exercise calories or if you exercise consistently add it into your lifestyle.

Second, when you try new stuff, it has to be for a month at least to allow your body to adjust. It's not automatic. And lastly, open up your diary so we can evaluate it.
  • justjenny
    justjenny Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Bumping because I am in the same boat. Have been at the same weight for years! Grr....:angry:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I can only tell you what's worked for me...that's to preemptively prevent them. I take a "diet break" every 6-8 weeks and eat to a maintenance level of calories for a couple weeks to reset. Your body is very smart and is always attempting to maintain. When you eat at a deficit for a length of time, your body adjusts to that deficit in an effort to maintain...here is a quote from an article I was just reading and the link to the article that addresses some of this...it's geared towards those last 10 pounds, but really applies to the entire weight loss journey...
    Weight loss application: The human body doesn’t really like to be on a diet. Each of us has a steady-state weight that the body tries very hard to maintain. When we gain weight above that steady-state, the body attempts to increase caloric expenditure. When we lose a lot of weight, the body tries very hard to gain weight to get back to steady state. This is part of the reason the last 10 pounds are so hard to lose – while you are trying to lose more, the body is resisting and trying to put the weight back on by decreasing metabolism and increasing hunger. Most people who are overweight or obese at one point overrode the body’s initial steady state weight. And with a lot of effort you can achieve a new steady-state, but it requires a great deal of persistence and effective nutrition and physical activity strategies.

http://www.acefitness.org/acefit/expert-insight-article/3/1253/why-is-it-so-hard-to-lose-the-last-10-pounds/
  • leelu137
    Options
    Hi,

I'm in the same boat right now. It's been tree months and I have upped and upped my workouts , I walk as well and have added weights but nothing. I'm eating my exercise calories back most days now to see if it makes a difference. If still nothing I'm going to have my gym do a fat percentage test every couple of weeks as I suspect I might be building muscle.

I hope with muscle built I will lose again
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Hi,

I'm in the same boat right now. It's been tree months and I have upped and upped my workouts , I walk as well and have added weights but nothing. I'm eating my exercise calories back most days now to see if it makes a difference. If still nothing I'm going to have my gym do a fat percentage test every couple of weeks as I suspect I might be building muscle.

I hope with muscle built I will lose again

I would highly doubt you are building any muscle, especially at your calorie deficits. And if you were building new muscle, you would be consistently gaining weight, which I assume you are not. And the fact, if you are exercising a lot, you would probably need 2200+ calories to even think about bulking. I would suspect you are still under eating. Most women I know that workout 5-6 days a week are cutting at 1700-2100 calories. And since you have very little to lose, I would suspect you are too aggressive with your per week weight loss goal, which should be more around 1/2 - 1 lb based on your ticker.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    You need to open your diary if you want good advice. Love all the advice without a diary open. My advice until I can look at your diary is to set your weight loss at 1 lb per week and be extremely diligent on logging your food. MFP will overestimate your exercise calories so be careful of that. Not expert, but it has worked for me with 50 lbs.
  • tifspoel
    tifspoel Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I opened my diary to public. I just told someone else this terrifies me. I know I'm not perfect, but I fear the judgement of others. I have a low self esteem that I am working on. Losing weight helps and makes me feel better about myself. I am a stay at home mom and know my weekends are the worst. It's the first time I really get to relax some with my husband, (who bless his heart tries to help me.) I know without opening up and asking for help I can't expect much, so here goes...
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Most days calories look pretty low. Other that, protein seems a bit low and I don't think I see any fruits and veggies. And you dont need to eat 100% clean, it's not requirement for weight loss. There are people who eat ice cream every night and still lose weight.

BTW, what is your exercise routine?
  • tifspoel
    Options
    I typically workout for 45 to an hour burning at least 400 calories if not more. I workout at least 5 days a week if not more. I run on the treadmill, do pilates, I do a lot of jillian michaels or biggest loser dvd's. I am noticing I have flabby skin around my midsection and am wondering if the skin is holding more weight. I am taking this week of from exercise though to strictly focus on the diet/food part of it. I had someone point out that my sodium is high. I take fludrocort because my body doesn't hold onto salt like it's supposed too. Also wondering if that's where part of my troubles are coming from.
  • suzannegreen2
    suzannegreen2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat...I have a lot of weight left to lose..I have lost 17 so far and my diary is open so any suggestions is greatly appreciated!
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I typically workout for 45 to an hour burning at least 400 calories if not more. I workout at least 5 days a week if not more. I run on the treadmill, do pilates, I do a lot of jillian michaels or biggest loser dvd's. I am noticing I have flabby skin around my midsection and am wondering if the skin is holding more weight. I am taking this week of from exercise though to strictly focus on the diet/food part of it. I had someone point out that my sodium is high. I take fludrocort because my body doesn't hold onto salt like it's supposed too. Also wondering if that's where part of my troubles are coming from.

My wife takes the same pill and you will definitely hold onto 5 lbs of water weight. And yes, sodium will make you retain a bit more water weight, but it won't stop fat loss. I seriously think your issue is you aren't feeding your body. So it's great to take off from exercise to allow your body to recover, you should set your account to maintain and replenish your muscles. Aiming for high protein will really help this.
  • tifspoel
    Options
    I have been trying to find the correct number of calories for me to lose the last 20 lbs. I am a 28F, 180lbs, lightly active (stay at home mom), work out at least 5 days a week for at least a half hour. I usually burn at least 400 calories. MFP and other "experts" have given me anywhere from 1,250 calories a day to 1,600 a day. I just want to make sure I am eating enough to lose weight and not gain it. I prefer not to eat my activity calories if possible. Right now I have it set at about 1,600 calories a day. This is stressful! My BMR is 1,621 and my TDEE is 2,221. So do I eat my exercise calories on top of the 1,600 or no?