lets talk about insulin

Options

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Considering whey is highly insulinic (or whatever the word is), is this why whey protein shakes post workout are so popular?

Whey is popular due to marketing and muscle magazines.

Post workout carbs are popular due to the belief that they are needed in order to elevate insulin.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Considering whey is highly insulinic (or whatever the word is), is this why whey protein shakes post workout are so popular?

I have no doubt this is a big part of it... but behind any great lie is a modicum of truth, no?
  • mommamisty823
    Options
    Bump for later.....would like to know more about this topic. I used to be hypoglycemic and am now pregnant and found out that I have gestational diabetes.
  • SideSteel
    Options

I have no doubt this is a big part of it... but behind any great lie is a modicum of truth, no?

I don't think the popularity of whey has anything to do with insulin honestly. For the record, I use whey myself and think it's a great supplement to help me hit my protein target for the day, so I certainly don't mean to suggest that it's useless. I just think the application, dosage, and timing of it are all over-hyped and over-marketed, hence my comment about it's popularity.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Have you seen this info from Kreiger?
    http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319

ok, things I'm taking away from this article (feel free to comment/discuss as necessary)

1) insulin spikes are good for performance as it allows (increases?) blood glucose transfer into cells for use as energy.
    2) insulin affects/leads to/causes (not sure how direct the correlation is) protein synthesis (technically this is the creation of new protein, but what exactly is that... muscle tissue growth? repair existing muscle? etc), which is obviously a good thing
    3) insulin inhibits the breakdown of fat (bad) and increases the creation of fat (bad)
    4) insulin and blood sugar do not have a 1:1 relationship (for lack of a better description)... meaning you can see significant insulin increases without the same significant blood sugar increase. However, blood sugar increases always result in a similar insulin increase.

The first point explains why simple sugars result in a greater performance boost than do complex carbs, correct? The article talks about insulin response carbs vs protein, but not simple carbs vs complex carbs.

The second point is what I'm most curious about. Considering whey is highly insulinic (or whatever the word is), is this why whey protein shakes post workout are so popular? Also, wouldn't this point suggest that fasted training would be less effective since insulin levels are lower?

The third point is clearly where all the insulin panicking comes from. But according to the article, things balance themselves out over the course of the day such that times of high insulin level (lower fat burn) are balanced out by times of low insulin (higher fat burns). So assuming a reasonably healthy diet with reasonably intake, this is largely a non-issue, right?

Not sure what to make of point 4 yet... still mulling that one over a bit.

1. Correct. Important if your are engaged in training. Probably not otherwise.
    2. As I understand it, insulin is basically a shuttle hormone for nutrients. The research I've read indicates fasted training is slightly less effective than fed training. Both Lyle McDonald and Alan Aragon have written summarizing some of the research on this.
    3. You assesment is dead on with those set of assumptions. This is where things get short circuited for the insulin resistant and why they end up storing fat instead of getting adequate nutrients to the tissue as I understand it.
    4. There is not a direct relationship of insulin to blood sugar. The issues that can take place relate to overconsumption of carbs leading to metabolic issues like insulin resistance. But, clearly, as I learned when I first saw this article about a year ago (thanks SS) protein is equally insulinogenic with no cooresponding spike in blood sugar.

Conclusion: Insulin is not the problem. It's just doing it's job. Any problem traces back to genetic predispostion and/ or diet composition in my (admittedly limited) view.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

I don't think the popularity of whey has anything to do with insulin honestly. For the record, I use whey myself and think it's a great supplement to help me hit my protein target for the day, so I certainly don't mean to suggest that it's useless. I just think the application, dosage, and timing of it are all over-hyped and over-marketed, hence my comment about it's popularity.

Over-hyped and over-marketed... I agree. Would you go so far as to say completely irrelevant?

I guess this gets at the most optimal/efficient approach (a la Layne Norton) vs the more pragmatic approach (Alan Aragon).
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I appreciated the "soon to be MD's" perspective on this discussion. I guess I'm wondering how jacksonpt's question on what insulin is and how it works has somehow turned into a discussion of Insulin Resistance and diabetes. I do not agree at all that all of the general population is somewhere on a scale of insulin sensitivity issues. Unfortunately, this is the kind of thing that happens when this topic is brought up. People with an agenda get on the soapbox.

Seems to me if someone wants to start a thread about insulin resistance they should instead of hijacking this one.

Just as a reminder, this was the original question: "Let's start with the most basic question... what is insulin's function in the body? What does it really do?"
    I don't see anthing there about insulin resistance and how that impacts obesity in the general population. Let's get back on track.

^this all over the place!!

Thanks to the soon to be MD for very useful input!
  • jacksonpt
    Options

ok, things I'm taking away from this article (feel free to comment/discuss as necessary)

1) insulin spikes are good for performance as it allows (increases?) blood glucose transfer into cells for use as energy.
    2) insulin affects/leads to/causes (not sure how direct the correlation is) protein synthesis (technically this is the creation of new protein, but what exactly is that... muscle tissue growth? repair existing muscle? etc), which is obviously a good thing
    3) insulin inhibits the breakdown of fat (bad) and increases the creation of fat (bad)
    4) insulin and blood sugar do not have a 1:1 relationship (for lack of a better description)... meaning you can see significant insulin increases without the same significant blood sugar increase. However, blood sugar increases always result in a similar insulin increase.

The first point explains why simple sugars result in a greater performance boost than do complex carbs, correct? The article talks about insulin response carbs vs protein, but not simple carbs vs complex carbs.

The second point is what I'm most curious about. Considering whey is highly insulinic (or whatever the word is), is this why whey protein shakes post workout are so popular? Also, wouldn't this point suggest that fasted training would be less effective since insulin levels are lower?

The third point is clearly where all the insulin panicking comes from. But according to the article, things balance themselves out over the course of the day such that times of high insulin level (lower fat burn) are balanced out by times of low insulin (higher fat burns). So assuming a reasonably healthy diet with reasonably intake, this is largely a non-issue, right?

2. As I understand it, insulin is basically a shuttle hormone for nutrients. The research I've read indicates fasted training is slightly less effective than fed training. Both Lyle McDonald and Alan Aragon have written summarizing some of the research on this.
    3. You assesment is dead on with those set of assumptions. This is where things get short circuited for the insulin resistant and why they end up storing fat instead of getting adequate nutrients to the tissue as I understand it.
    4. There is not a direct relationship of insulin to blood sugar. The issues that can take place relate to overconsumption of carbs leading to metabolic issues like insulin resistance. But, clearly, as I learned when I first saw this article about a year ago (thanks SS) protein is equally insulinogenic with no cooresponding spike in blood sugar.

Conclusion: Insulin is not the problem. It's just doing it's job. Any problem traces back to genetic predispostion and/ or diet composition in my (admittedly limited) view.

Diet composition as in macros?
  • SideSteel
    Options

Over-hyped and over-marketed... I agree. Would you go so far as to say completely irrelevant?

I guess this gets at the most optimal/efficient approach (a la Layne Norton) vs the more pragmatic approach (Alan Aragon).

No, I wouldn't say completely irrelevant if you're talking about aspects of nutrient timing. I'd be comfortable with "mostly irrelevant" or "probably won't make any damn difference" or "why would anyone worry about this when it may contribute .5% when they've probably got things that contribute 80% that could be improved upon" or many other ambiguous dodges -- but I wouldn't make a black-and-white statement to say that it's 100% irrelevant under all circumstances.

But that's almost semantics.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

No, I wouldn't say completely irrelevant if you're talking about aspects of nutrient timing. I'd be comfortable with "mostly irrelevant" or "probably won't make any damn difference" or "why would anyone worry about this when it may contribute .5% when they've probably got things that contribute 80% that could be improved upon" or many other ambiguous dodges -- but I wouldn't make a black-and-white statement to say that it's 100% irrelevant under all circumstances.

Gotcha. I can certainly buy that it's fairly insignificant in the bigger picture, but I have a hard time accepting that it's completely irrelevant.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

1) Insulin spike for performance is iffy. How you feel after a big carb meal(large insulin spike)? Most people feel groggy and tired. Insulin triggers the parasympathetic nervous system which make people feel groggy and tired. Some runners try to carb load sometimes meaning eating a big carb based meal a day before the race for more energy. This usually back fires because it will add water weight slowing down the runner and their performance suffers. It is important to be fueled but not tired.

2) Hyperplasia is the process of building "new" muscle fibers, this hasn't been concluded by science yet, it's still debatable. The growth of muscle due to the increase of fluid is very possible. Some protein is required, but also water and mostly carbs. Not sur if you're aware but sometimes when bodybuidlers do low carbs their muscle shrink. When they eat carbs again they swell up, doesn't have much to do with protei.

3) Um it doesn't matter. It's not like you will have elevated insulin levels all day storing fat all day. The body is constantly storing and releasing fat the key to lose fat is to release more fat than you store.

4. I don't know if that's true, i can't think of an example in which that case that would be true.

1) True, been there. But what about about smaller doses... 2 rice crispy treats vs 2 slices of whole wheat bread?

2) That's about volume of muscle, not actual muscle fibers growing/increasing, no? Kind of like a dry sponge vs a wet - same sponge, just different volume based on how much water its holding.

3) Right, that's what I took away from the article.

4) According to the article, carbs cause a significant increase in both blood sugar and insulin (very closely linked), while protein creates a significant increase in insulin but a relatively insignificant increase in blood sugar (not closely tied). Again, not sure what exactly to make of this in real world terms.
  • SideSteel
    Options

Gotcha. I can certainly buy that it's fairly insignificant in the bigger picture, but I have a hard time accepting that it's completely irrelevant.

Again I think this boils down to context. I would expect that a number of factors play into this, but for my case just as an example, if I'm consuming "some protein" proximal to my workout, I really don't have any concern at all, like ZERO concern, that I'm missing out on any relevant benefit to further dialing in my protein timing for anabolic purposes (for performance related effects I would say nutrient timing is vital, it just varies from person to person).
  • mmapags
    Options

Yes, exactly. Specifically, ridiculous overconsumption of simple/ sugary carbs. I don't remember the study I read or I'd post the link but it was about a obsese, inactive population that eats ridiculous amouts of sugary carbs, like 400 to 600 grams per day. The was a strong corelation to this level of consumption, combined with inactivity, and insulin resistance. That is not to say that all insulin resistants are in the grouping. For some, there can be genetic or other causes. But in any event, in my view, the problem is not insulin. It's just doing what it's designed to do: shuttle nutrients from ingested food to where they are needed or put them in to storage in the case of a surplus.

The way I see it, it would be far more effective for the majority of the non-genetically predisposed population to be mostly concerned with eating a balanced diet at maintenance (if not overweight) and getting plenty of exercise, which keeps insulin sensitivity high and stop worrying about insulin. It's just doing it's job.

Or as Davpul would say, "JUST WORK OUT!" lol
  • jacksonpt
    Options

Yes, exactly. Specifically, ridiculous overconsumption of simple/ sugary carbs. I don't remember the study I read or I'd post the link but it was about a obsese, inactive population that eats ridiculous amouts of sugary carbs, like 400 to 600 grams per day. The was a strong corelation to this level of consumption, combined with inactivity, and insulin resistance. That is not to say that all insulin resistants are in the grouping. For some, there can be genetic or other causes. But in any event, in my view, the problem is not insulin. It's just doing what it's designed to do: shuttle nutrients from ingested food to where they are needed or put them in to storage in the case of a surplus.

The way I see it, it would be far more effective for the majority of the non-genetically predisposed population to be mostly concerned with eating a balanced diet at maintenance (if not overweight) and getting plenty of exercise, which keeps insulin sensitivity high and stop worrying about insulin. It's just doing it's job.

Agreed... and an excellent point for a lot of people on this site.
  • SideSteel
    Options

Agreed
  • Loftearmen
    Options
    You can't have a discussion about Insulin without bringing up leptin and ghrelin. Here's a descent article to start this off:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/control_leptin_and_control_your_leanness
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    So...
    Let's start with the most basic question... what is insulin's function in the body? What does it really do?

My understanding is that it's basically a signalling chemical. It tells you cells when to build tissue. The higher your insulin levels, the stronger that signal to build will be. It is also my understanding that insulin isn't specific to to fat or anything else... that it simply tells your cells to build tissue, and what types of tissue they build is dependent on a variety of factors.

True? Completely wrong? What say you?

I'm a type 1 diabetic and use insulin via insulin pump. Think of insulin as a key and it unlocks the cell so it can use glucose (which food is converted into glucose when digested) as it's fuel. Insulin won't make you fat, too much food and not enough exercise makes you fat. People who take insulin can lose weight, I'm living proof. I was fat because I ate too much food. Period.
  • mmapags
    Options
    So...
    Let's start with the most basic question... what is insulin's function in the body? What does it really do?

My understanding is that it's basically a signalling chemical. It tells you cells when to build tissue. The higher your insulin levels, the stronger that signal to build will be. It is also my understanding that insulin isn't specific to to fat or anything else... that it simply tells your cells to build tissue, and what types of tissue they build is dependent on a variety of factors.

True? Completely wrong? What say you?

I'm a type 1 diabetic and use insulin via insulin pump. Think of insulin as a key and it unlocks the cell so it can use glucose (which food is converted into glucose when digested) as it's fuel. Insulin won't make you fat, too much food and not enough exercise makes you fat. People who take insulin can lose weight, I'm living proof. I was fat because I ate too much food. Period.

Excellent analogy! Not just glucose but also proteins. But obviously, the glucose part is most critical for diabetics. Congrats on the self honesty and accomplishment!!

PS: Still playing youth softball at 45?? :wink: :tongue:
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options

This. My son is type 1 as well.

Insulin is a hormone that moves glucose from the bloodstream into cells for either burning as energy or storage. The more glucose you put into your blood, the more insulin you will produce and have in your blood, but it's really just the mechanism, not the input. You can't control it directly.

Your body makes insulin, it's in your blood all the time, and you'd be dead without it, as glucose would build up in your blood unused, while at the same time, your cells starve to death.

Whenever I hear the word "insulin levels" I know they probably have no idea what they are talking about. Your "insulin levels" are far less important than your blood glucose.
  • Cinamur
    Options
    This first website will discuss what Type 1 diabetes (aka Juvenile Diabetes) is:

http://www.jdrf.ca/_JDRFCa/assets/File/NSO/JDRF - Fact Sheet - Type 1 Diabetes - 2011 - Eng.pdf

This second website will give you general diabetes info:

http://www.jdrf.ca/_JDRFCa/assets/File/NSO/JDRF - Fact Sheet - General Diabetes Information - 2011 - Eng.pdf

This site is actually from a feline diabetes site, but it has the best description of what diabetes is and the role of insulin in the body:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/diabetes-info.htm

Just copy & paste the links into your address bar.