Treadmill Inclined walk

Options
Hi! I am 149 pounds at 5'2".

I walked on the treadmill on 10% incline at 4 mph for 40 mins and it said I burned 428 calories ,but as written in some posts it was useless as I was holding the rails so that I wont fall off....but I was sweating like hell and my legs ache a bit....now I am sad...I hope my effort was not in vain..how much do you keep your treadmill on incline, so that you don't hold and get a good workout...other days I mostly run, jog and walk for cardio.Also I strength train 2-3 times a week...

Replies

• prium01
    prium01 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • Elle562018
    Elle562018 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I always incline and hold the rail or I'll fall. If you are sweating, you got a great work out there. Strength training is great. Keep doing what you are doing.
  • prium01
    Options
    I always incline and hold the rail or I'll fall. If you are sweating, you got a great work out there. Strength training is great. Keep doing what you are doing.

Thanks for answering :)I feel better..
  • Katrinadionne1808
    Options
    i always incline - hate the treadill (running) so like a nice incline to help burn the calories. I regularly tend to hold the rails - not throughout the whole workout just when struggling but always go by what the machine has told me i've burnt!

If you feel like it you could maybe add some 1kg weight to help with your arms. I have been trying to do this and strangely find that holding on to them helps!
  • prium01
    Options
    i always incline - hate the treadill (running) so like a nice incline to help burn the calories. I regularly tend to hold the rails - not throughout the whole workout just when struggling but always go by what the machine has told me i've burnt!

If you feel like it you could maybe add some 1kg weight to help with your arms. I have been trying to do this and strangely find that holding on to them helps!

This seems to be a good idea...thanks for sharing :)
  • rachmass1
    rachmass1 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Sweat is an indication so don't worry about it. Just keep mixing it up and working your body. Good job!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    If you need to hold the rail, hold the rail. Don't worry about what other people say. Your workout is for you.
  • prium01
    Options
    Thanks everyone...that really helped!
  • trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Who told you it didn't count if you hold on to the railing?
  • tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I read that on another thread yesterday. I don't believe it's necessarily true though. I hold on to the rail throughout most of my workout and my heart is pounding, I am sweaty and my legs are burning by the time I am done. I wouldn't worry about it. =)
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    When I was a treadmill walker vs. a runner, I read that by holding onto the rail that you're losing 25-30% of the calories burned from the workout. However, I was hesitant to let go because I felt like I was going to go flying off. What I did was kept the incline jacked up (10-12%) but lowered to a more manageable speed (3.3-3.5 mph) and was able to ditch the handles completely.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    I did an incline for the first time today, incline of only 4.0 with a speed of 5.0/5.5. I didn't do it for long mind. I am totally useless at running, can only do it for a few mins and I feel/look like an idiot lol
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    The workout is not "useless"--but the calorie burn number is. That's the difference.

It's actually easier and more effective to slow the speed down so that you can walk unassisted and then crank up the hill. The big mistake that people make when they try incline walking is to leave the speed too high. That makes the movement mechanically much more difficult so that you often feel like you have to hold on, even though you might have the fitness level to work at that particular intensity.

Holding on also makes it more difficult to increase the workload, because you tend to offset the increase by just holding on tighter--since there is no way to calibrate how much the handrail support is offsetting the workload, you really don't know how hard you are working. That makes it hard to measure progress.

Just give it a try--try walking 3.0 and 10% or 11% unsupported and see how it feels. It takes a little getting used to and your back might get a little sore from learning to walk at the incline, but it's a more consistent effort. And, even better, your calorie count (as long as you enter weight and are walking on a commercial treadmill) will be as accurate as you can get -- more accurate than an HRM.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I have the hold the railing as well and I rarely go over 3.5.
  • Jackielyn17
    Options
    I was told that it basically renders your incline useless... which makes sense, don't you slightly tilt your body forward when you walk on an incline, therefore making it harder?? I never use the handrail on the treadmills, I go to whatever speed I can handle whether its on an incline or not... I don't walk outside holding onto anything...
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I was told that it basically renders your incline useless... which makes sense, don't you slightly tilt your body forward when you walk on an incline, therefore making it harder?? I never use the handrail on the treadmills, I go to whatever speed I can handle whether its on an incline or not... I don't walk outside holding onto anything...

No, not completely useless. I'm afraid people have misinterpreted the point being made. Holding on to the handrails makes the calorie counter on the treadmill useless, because you are offsetting the treadmill workload by holding on. Which is unfortunate, since for walking and incline walking, a commercial treadmill that allows weight input is pretty accurate.

But you don't offset the workload completely--only by an average of about 20-30% (although it can be as high as 65%-70%, but that's at something like 4.3 mph and 15% grade).

I don't want anyone to get the impression that walking at, say 3.5 mph and 9% grade is no better than walking at 3.5% with no incline. Of course the incline adds more work -- a lot more work sometimes. It's just not as much as you think. And, without a sophisticated strain gauge on your treadmill handlebar, you don't really know how much you are offsetting the work.

For some people that might not make any difference. For safety reasons, some people cannot walk unsupported. So I want to make sure I am not giving the impression that ANY handrail support makes the workout useless.

I am just trying to give the facts and suggest to those people who are hanging on for dear life that there might be a better alternative. If one is used to walking at 4.0-4.5 mph on a treadmill, it is not always easy to arbitrarily lower the speed to 3.0--I understand the concern that the quality of the workout might not be as high, or the psychological reluctance to see a (temporarily) lower calorie number on the display. But it does make more sense physiologically.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Sweat is an indication so don't worry about it.

Why do people believe that? I sweat in my sleep.... like enough the bed is wet, yet I'm not getting a workout. I sweat bucket loads in the gym, just because there is no wind or anything. Yet if I do the same run outside I sweat 1/3 as much. Because there is some kind of breeze on me due to movement.

My husband sweats doing the gardening. He's not working out or working hard, but he will come back in drenched.

Sweat is no indication of how 'effective' the workout was. It just means you lost fluid.
  • Alderaic
    Alderaic Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    as long as holding the rail doesnt mean your are lifting yourself of the treadmill, what you read on the treadmill should be relatively accurate.
    and if you were to hold yourself in the air for 40 minutes you would get a nice upper body workout anyway :D
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I have major balance issues. I find I have to look down at my feet to make sure I don't walk off the track because I do NOT walk straight. I don't use the rails if I look straight ahead but often have to rest my hands on top to keep my sense of balance.. I find and incline helpls a TON!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

thats what i thought. not that it was useless, just that it kinda negated the effects a little. don't get me wrong, i would still grab the rail or in front of me once in a while. usually i would lower the incline a half percent in that case.

i would position myself further back on the treadmill and move my arms and walk as if i were going up a steep hill. i'd usually start off with it at 2%, and increas the incline every 30 seconds or so, working my way up to 12%.