Wish I were a better runner

Options
I just started a program and this week is 2 minute jog/2 minute walk five times. Barely make n it through the two minutes. I hope it gets better soon. Plus my goal is to one day run a 5K :) Any advice? because its only going to get harder.

Replies

• slainger
    slainger Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Just keep at it! If you persist, it will get easier. When I started running, I couldn't run 30 SECONDS! Now I run miles!! Keep it up!!:wink:
  • heethar
    Options
    I'm a terrible runner. I'm heavy and it seems awkward and I know, for sure, that I look goofy. It's my absolute favorite thing to do! I suggest dropping down to 1 1/2 min (1 min if 2min is too hard) for a week or two. This way you're working your way up. So you'll end up at 1 1/2 (1min) jog: 2 minute walk five times. Try it for a week and see how you feel. Then bump it back up to 2/2 when you're feeling good about the less run version.

Another good thing to look at Couch-to-5K programs. I use the one by Active.com. It's pretty awesome. Also, schedule a 5K. It'll give you an end goal to work toward.
  • jwhit31
    jwhit31 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with slainger. The only way to get better is to keep pushing yourself. I did a C25k program almost two years ago and I couldn't jog a minute at 4.5mph. I was determined to lose weight and be able to run when I felt like it. Just yesterday I ran 7.5 miles just because I can. :)
  • lcyama
    lcyama Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    during your jog, don't worry about going fast. you are working on increasing your lung capacity and strengthening your legs. your goal is to go two minutes before you walk to catch your breath and let your heart rate slow back down. shuffle-jog if you have to. just ignore the people passing you while walking. :-) if you don't push yourself too fast too soon, eventually it does get easier.

also, repeat weeks if you have to. it really helps.

i did the C25K last year around this time and i started out too fast, strained a hamstring, and had to rest up before i could start again. i took it easy the second time around. i did run a 5K -- four of them, actually! i took the winter off, and am training up again with a goal of running a 5K on mother's day weekend.
  • madworld1
    Options
    The main thing is, don't strive for perfection because it will drive you crazy. It sounds like you have a good program, it just takes patience. I am not a good runner, but I am a runner and that's all the matters. I started out like you, but grew to love it. It's my "me" time. I'm not fast and my mileage has decreased considerably over the years. But, I still do it because it's just part of me now. You'll get there- just make it a habit. :)
  • OriolesLovaa
    Options
    It does get easier! You'll be surprised how much you improve.

It's suppose to be hard... but that's just your body breaking down and you can rebuild yourself to be even stronger. :) Good luck!
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I just started a program and this week is 2 minute jog/2 minute walk five times. Barely make n it through the two minutes. I hope it gets better soon. Plus my goal is to one day run a 5K :) Any advice? because its only going to get harder.

if you keep at it it WILL get easier not harder. it's great that your goal is to run a 5k but you're not running it tomorrow so cut yourself some slack you'll get better. i could barely make 30 seconds let alone 2 minutes when i started and in june i'm running a half.
  • WAHMto5
    WAHMto5 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Just like others, I was soo NOT a runner and hated it!! I also started the c25k program and currently in W7D2 running 25 minutes and still can't believe it! Make sure you check out the c25k board on here for some great tips and support. You can do this!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Just keep at it. Not everyone who started running put their feet to the tar and just went. When I started I was doing the run/walk thing and my run was at a very slow pace at the time like 5MPH. I didn't get discouraged and kept at it and kept increasing my run times until I ran 1 mile NON STOP. Let me tell you that was the greatest feeling in the world. Then when I ran my first mile non-stop I shot for 1.5. Then 2 etc. and each time I ran I increased my speed.

Just set small goals for yourself. Next time you run try to run for 2.5 minutes. Then 3 etc. and believe me when you hit that milestone of 5 full minutes of running you'll be so proud!
  • lilred806
    lilred806 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I was doing 1 minute run, 1 minute walk increments when I first started running. I was really slow. I trained for a half marathon that way. I completed that one summer and the next summer I made it my goal to run an entire half marathon with no walking. The next summer I ran a very slow 13.1 miles. I had my friend and my husband by my side. It was great. In all honesty we did have to stop once because a train stopped us on the route. It was funny and frustrating to get 5 minutes into the run and have a train stop us. Once the train went by everyone started again. You can do this!
  • Loudmom01
    Loudmom01 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    thank u all so much. great advice. and i agree that signing up for a 5k is probably a good idea. i need a goal to be shooting for and not just to get through this 10 week program. it would be a perfect way to see how far i go!!!