Confused - can anyone help?

Options
So I am new to MFP. I've had the app for a while but never used it. My question is, MFP gave me a goal of 1200 calories a day. I am 5'5" and have 40 lbs to lose (which would take to me to a very realistic weight...I'd be on the higher end weight for my body frame at my personal goal. 1200 calories seems like too few, especially when a friend who is 5" shorter got the same goal and my sister who is heavier than me. I'm sure I could lose on 1200 calories but I would worry I couldn't do that long term. My exercise goal is about 3-5 days a week with a burn of 350-500 calories. I've calculated my calorie goal on tons of other sites and got different answers on all. I combined them and took an average and it was about 1450. I'm so confused about TDEE and BMR. Can anyone shed some light?
'

Replies

• hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    For some reason I read that alot of people say mfp tells them to eat 1200 calories, and everyone says its too little. How much weight did you put you want to lose per week? If you are exercising as well I would up to like 1500-1800 calories a day.
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    It is probably a factor of how much you want to lose per week.

it is very hard to accurately track calories so even if you are disciplined you are likely eating more than you think.

Even a modest amount of exercise can make your daily calorie goal much more tolerable

If the scale doesn't move then adjust your calorie deficit. If it is going down 1-2 lbs per week, and you can handle the calorie deficit then stay the course
  • fridlt
    fridlt Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just started using the site a few days ago. I'm 5'5" and have 20# to lose. My goal is to exercise 4 days per week (total 700 calories). The site gave me a daily calorie goal of 1220 calories, but I noticed each day I exercise that the goal is increased (just for that day). This bumps the goal to around 1400 or so. It seems appropriate since I have a sedentary job. Also, I was doing a different weight loss plan prior to this (not counting calories) and the food amount seems what is needed for weight loss - any more and I wouldn't lose weight on the other plan.
  • maxwellmama4
    Options
    Ok, so I used the link for fat 2 fit and measured and input all my info. My light activity calorie goal came out to 2263 (which is really 1810 if I subtract the 20%) and for moderate activity it was 2551 (which is 2040 when taking the 20% off). Will shoot for somewhere between the two depending on my workouts. Now how am I going to get all these calories in. I was full today on 1475 :)
  • MsMusicGA
    Options
    Everyone's rate of loss varies. If I eat 1200 calories per day, I do not loose weight. Of course, I do eat out a lot which contributes more sodium than I prefer. When I pay attention to the sodium and make sure to drink at least 64 oz. of H2O, the weight rolls off.