Constipation

Options

Replies

• kmc979
    kmc979 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I am taking in more fiber than I ever have my entire life and drinking more water than ever and yet, i just can't go. I am also eating veggies for the time in my life and just generally eating much more healthy. when i was eating like crap i was regular. i am constantly bloated and gassy and it sucks. i am getting ready to give miralax a try. and it's not that my body needs time to adjust, i've been eating like this for 2 months. even my coffee doesn't do the trick anymore. ugh
  • nanimoose
    nanimoose Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    i had constipation for YEARS (going once or twice a week) and it wasnt until I started exercising that I started going everyday. I also ate more fats and that helped a lot.
  • MaryJanean
    MaryJanean Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    :blushing: Two squares Chocolate ExLax...works wonders for me!!! and you get a treat! lol:blushing:
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Smooth Move Tea.

Don't make plans to leave the house.
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    And I'm not all sure exactly what's in Emerge (from Max Muscle) but the days I use that pre-workout- later that morning I am doing the happy dance.
  • susantrigg18
    Options
    What is your protein intake like? Some people, including myself, suffer from it if our protein levels are too high.
    I backed off on the protein a little & it fixed the problem
  • iceey
    iceey Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I am taking in more fiber than I ever have my entire life and drinking more water than ever and yet, i just can't go. I am also eating veggies for the time in my life and just generally eating much more healthy. when i was eating like crap i was regular. i am constantly bloated and gassy and it sucks. i am getting ready to give miralax a try. and it's not that my body needs time to adjust, i've been eating like this for 2 months. even my coffee doesn't do the trick anymore. ugh

I'm having the same problem. Eating way better than ever. Getting lots of fiber. All bloated and getting some pain. Feel fatter not skinnier.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    "as much fiber as I can" doesn't really help us know your fiber intake.

First, are you eating constipating foods? Eggs and dairy are the most constipating foods on the planet, so if you've started having eggs for breakfast or eat a bunch of cottage cheese, you could have problems

Are you really tracking your fiber intake? Whole grains, fruits, and vegetables are the best sources of fiber. Lentils and berries are very high, and prunes, while having fiber, also contain a substance which can increase GI motility. Chia seeds have 3 grams of fiber per tablespoon so they are an easy way to increase your fiber intake. Caffeine is a bowel stimulant as well and can help to get things moving. Eating healthy fats, like nuts and nut butters and avocado, is also important in keeping things moving.

Fiber added products, like Fiber One, probably don't give you the same effect, gram for gram, as naturally occurring fiber.

And drink lots of water.

Senna is a very harsh laxative; I would use it only as a last result.

Dairy is probiotic, so how exactly are eggs and dairy causes of constipation?

You could try kefir, it's like a runny yoghurt type drink.

Or maybe you're eating too much protein and not enough fiber to move it through your digestive tract.

It's because of the protein. Yogurt and Kefir have lots of probiotics; regular milk and cheese, not so much. They are definitely constipating.

protein causes constipation???? If that is the case then I should be backed up for a year at this rate...

Is there a study on this or something...

Maybe she's talking about casein (milk protein)? It's hard on your digestive tract if you are intolerant. I can't have any kind of dairy or I'm a mess. Fiber does help things like protein move along. I don't think she's saying not to eat protein - just to make sure you get your fiber with it.
  • sraffel
    sraffel Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said, plus bananas, specifically very ripe ones. Supposedly it helps to eat it with milk, but I just slice a banana in my morning yogurt and drink a full glass of water. I'm sure the probiotics from the yogurt don't hurt either.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    For me two things work: not eating bread and/or taking magnesium citrate supplements.

None of the other common fixes ever worked for me.

That's very interesting. The magnesium citrate would definitely work, but I am struggling to understand how avoiding bread would help.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Drink a cup of warm water with a squeeze of lemon or lime juice first thing in the morning and last thing at night. It will send you to the bathroom and also removed toxins from the body.
  • KaraAlste
    KaraAlste Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Try a Coffee enema.
  • annepage
    annepage Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Citrucel might help but can cause very bad cramping. Not sure how much water you're drinking but what kind of fiber are you eating ? Maybe more dark leafy greens on a daily basis would help? Not sure exactly what you're eating.
  • dblaacker
    dblaacker Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    You might want to throw some White Castle in there. I hear it's pretty effective! :huh:

Hahahaha, Sliders. I haven't seen anyone else who knows about the greasy glorious wonder of While Castle meals.
    In terms of your pooping problem, I have the same issue some days. It can result from not enough water, or too much fiber, as well as inadequate levels of fat. I'm pretty sure the grease in sliders is what helps things to slide out. You could drink natural laxative tea, or you could drink a couple tablespoons of mineral oil. It's pretty effective. :) Good luck, and I hope everything comes out well!
  • pattycake118
    pattycake118 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Avoid commercial laxatives if you can help it - your body can become dependent on it. Keep active - all that moving around will help things move along inside you. Fat does help to get things moving as well.

And, since no one else has mentioned this - see your doctor if things aren't working out. There's many levels of constipation and many reasons why it can happen.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I give my daughter prune juice with apple juice. About 1/3 prune and 2/3 apple, if you're into that sort of thing. Mostly what does it is the sugar in the juice combined with the prune, because the sugar acts like a natural softener by drawing water into the colon.

For me, coffee every day does lovely things.
  • gkozub
    gkozub Posts: 22
    Options
    Hi! Maybe you're eating TOO MUCH fibre! I know, sounds strange doesn't it, but I had the same problem once. The fibre found in wheat products can sometimes constipate, if you're eating a lot of bread and such you might want to try to switch things up for a little bit and see how you feel.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    For me two things work: not eating bread and/or taking magnesium citrate supplements.

None of the other common fixes ever worked for me.

That's very interesting. The magnesium citrate would definitely work, but I am struggling to understand how avoiding bread would help.

If you're gluten sensitive bread would definately impact your digestive tract. (TMI - could cause constipation or diarrhea or gas, pain and bloating or a combo)
  • kingofcrunk
    kingofcrunk Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I think constipation is such a personal thing. Everyone has different ways of getting things moving - because everyone is individual and there are so many causes of constipation. You really need to find your cause and then you can treat it! I know this is terrible advice because it doesn't help you immediately now, but its the truth.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options

My constipation stems from a thyroid problem. Something to continue working on.:smile:

ditto. went back on the drug i prefer (eltroxin) after not 100% liking the goldshield and having to go through the initial stages again. i just drank a pile of 'be regular' tea and a glass of aloe and kiwifruit juice, had some prunes, licorice and dried apricots. better bloody work or i'm buying laxatives tomorrow