why is being healthy such a bad thing?

Options
2»

Replies

• christine_112
    christine_112 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have experienced the same comments. It always comes from people who are overweight and live an unhealthy lifestyle. I have come to the conclusion that they are directing their insecurities onto me.
  • Nutella91
    Nutella91 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    fatties gonna fat
  • stepheatscake
    stepheatscake Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    It is hard I agree... girls are terrible for that and the main reason behind it is jealousy. As long as you aren't extreme with them or you aren't a damper on the party then who cares, theyll' get over themselves. If you get invited for a girls nite bring some healthy brownie bites or something!
  • SilverLotusGirl
    SilverLotusGirl Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Some people just don't handle change very well, especially something as all encompassing as a healthy lifestyle change. You're going to eat differently, spend more time exercising with or without them, you're going to have diffrent goals and different things on your mind. Truly supportive friends will come around and stop doing the friendly teasing thing. They should do it immediatly if you tell them it bothers you.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    fatties gonna fat

Yeah. People want to opt for the easy way out and misery loves company. Just stick with it. They'll get over it when they find something else to feel insecure about
  • gogoyubarino
    gogoyubarino Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    With friends like these, who needs enemies?

You should tell them clearly that what they are saying to you is not acceptable. Why bother being friends with people who don't nurture you, support you or make an effort to understand what you're going through? Life is too short.

Friends are easy to find, trust me.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    ever since i started eating healthy, my friends have all bashed me or made fun of me about it. "you won't even have a bite of a brownie??" "whats wrong with fries!?" i make my lunch at home every day, and they never go a day without commenting on what I'm eating. I've told them its a lifestyle change, not a diet, and they'll thrown that in there too as if I'm suddenly gonna switch back to eating unhealthy. i know what i eat is healthy, so why do they have to push me around about it so much?

You answered your own question. "Change",

Suddenly you've gone from eating what they eat - which apparently comprises of brownie and fries - to being more mindful, no longer eating these things and furthermore, classifying these foods as unhealthy. Of course they'll "bash" you a little, because you're "bashing" them by all-but declaring their diet - or lifestyle, whatever you want I call it - is wrong.

They aren't at all "jealous" or whatever, they just don't like being insulted.. Remember it's you who's made a change. Not them.
  • Troublemonster
    Troublemonster Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I suppose it's just like Dave Ramsey says when this same thing arises for people trying to get out of debt. If broke (in this case fat/unhealthy) people are making fun of you then you're probably doing it right.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    A Healthful Lifestyle is NOT a bad thing! People FEAR those things and People that are different from them. By doing the OPPOSITE of them you are saying very loudly that THEY are living Unhealthy Lives, and that makes people defensive. The thing about being who YOU are is that YOU ARE who You are...BE THAT. In time, as you mature, this type of "Razzing" will begin to bore you and you will begin to wonder why you hang around people who do not support positive thing you do in your life, and you will naturally branch out. Those same defensive people will also criticize you for making new friends and expanding your interests. All I can say is keep on growing, STAY healthy, and find people where your interests are who can support your new Lifestyle.
  • markymarrkk
    markymarrkk Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I BIG part of it, probably the main thing here, is the maturity level of people your age, and they way you carry yourself about it or how you react to their comments.

I mean, I could just imagine these little prissy bishes, giving you a hard time about some real positive shtt your doing with your life. I'd joke about it or make some smart *kitten* comments to them that'd shut 'em up. like " haha I aint about that fat life!" or "I'm tryna get sexy you betch! so shut the fcck up!" but then like smile and laugh so they don't get too offended.

I mean, that's how we handle things round these parts... we're friends and we bust each others b@lls, and we laugh and we keep on with whatever it is we were being made fun of, and when we get annoyed about it we calmly tell each other to fcck off.
  • Lulzaroonie
    Lulzaroonie Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Fries and brownies aren't particularly bad foods, there are definitely worse things you could be eating. You can make allowances for them in your day to day diet, or you can make your own and then you will be in control of how much sugar, salt, fat etc is in them. There are loads of recipes for yummy, healthier versions of fast food or snacks.

People get intimidated by people they consider to be better than them. Its like people who do drugs, they'll try and push them on other people so they can feel better about their own drug use.