Needing Encouragement and Motivation

Options
I am so frustrated right now, but trying to remain positive and move forward! I started at 147 lbs with a goal of 128 - 130 lbs. Over 9 weeks I lost 10 lbs, getting down to 137, then last Wednesday, the scale evend dipped to 136.6!! On Friday, I went off track....all day. I was back on track on Saturday, with an only okay Sunday. Did great yesterday. I haven't missed any workouts (I work out 1 hour per day, six days per week). As of this morning, my weight is 139.5!! Could I possibly have gained 3 lbs through my bad choices on Friday and Sunday? I know I didn't eat 3 lbs worth of extra calories!!! That would be10,500 extra calories! Here is my dilemma. Diet and exercise is not new to me. My problem is always mental/emotional. I have gained and lost this same weight numerous times. Setbacks make me want to eat more, and I find myself really struggling to stay on track. The workouts are the easy part for me. It's the eating I really struggle with, and I know that's the most important part. I'm very all or nothing, but am trying very hard to break this vicious cycle, and truly make this a healthy lifestyle change. I'm just looking for some encouraging words, tips. Something to help keep me going in the right direction!!!

Replies

• mdorisi
    mdorisi Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have been here!! So one question real quick: What kind of workout are you doing? Are you just doing cardio or also doing some weights? The reason I ask is because when you're doing something strenuous to your muscles (even some cardio if you're running hard) then your body is holding on to water to repair itself and so it looks like you're heavier than you are right now. Your muscles are holding on to water, the torn tissue and the acids that your body is producing to repair the muscles which does weigh you down. When this happened to me a couple of weeks ago I was SOOOO DOWN! because like you, I'd been doing generally well and working out hard! But then about 4 days after my normal weigh in, I just stepped on the scale and it was down 5 lbs! SO I hope this may help you a little bit. I'm sure you're doing awesome so keep it up! It will drop and you are doing good things for yourself. :) We're all here for you and completely understand. :flowerforyou:
  • Opera_Bound
    Opera_Bound Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    First off - deep breath. :flowerforyou: It's ok to have an off day. Not everyday will be perfect...but congratulate yourself on not missing any workouts! I struggle to make 3-4 times a week, let alone 6! :drinker: So cheers to you on that!

As for the 3lb gain - have you considered retaining water from an increase in sodium levels? Check your food charts. If you don't have sodium added, I suggest adding it just to get an idea of where you were on your off day. Also, is it near your ToM? Another reason you may be bloated or retaining water.

My best recommendation to you is to AVOID the scale for a few days, stick to your plan of diet and exercise, up the water to flush out any extra sodium, and to be proud of your accomplisments so far! :happy: I know it's a rough road, especially with the serious fluctuations are bodies do even when we follow all the "RULES!"

Best of luck!
  • msciccone1
    msciccone1 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Jaerene please don't let this sidetrack you because I know exactly what you are talking about. I am almost positive it isn't weight gain but rather water retention. Mother's day weekend I had bad days on Saturday and Sunday and not going overly on calories but sodium went double maybe more and Monday morning I saw a 2.4 lb. gain :noway: ! I was like there is no way I overate, I logged in my food :explode: . It took me 3 days until Wednesday to flush out my system with 10-12 glasses of water each day and staying within my allotted 2500mg of sodium to show that I was back to my usual weight on Thursday morning :tongue: . Don't lose sight of your goal and just try to choose foods with less sodium. Hope that helps :wink:
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    You are not alone. That was like reading my own story!!! I have gained and lost the same weight so many times. I'm at 152 with a goal of 125. It's probably just water weight. Drink lots of water. Keep focused and stay on track. As someone told me, if you have a bad day get back to the right way the next day.
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    Yes the scale can show a 3 pound weight gain from a bad weekend....I have found its mainly from water retention, because when we overeat its usually junk, with loads of sodium......My scale went up 2 pounds between yesterday morning....and all the food I ate Memorial day.....but I wont sweat it.....I am back on track today, and drinking tons of water.

You only have a few pound left to loose.....you sound like you workout alot.....if you arent loosing, then maybe you are not taking in as much calorie as you need.

When you get closer to your goal, the weight loss doess take longer to come off and sometimes you need more calories than you probably are taking in....but healthy calories

We are all going to have bad days....unless you never plan to eat junk food again

Just try and tweek you eating habit a bit and see if that helps with the weight loss

Goodluck
  • SilverRoxy
    SilverRoxy Posts: 64
    Options
    I'm definitely upset with myself today.... I've been at a plateau for weeks to begin with and completely blew it this weekend! I mean, blew it! Chicken wing dip, hot dogs, chips and dip....blew it. The scale this morning was not pretty....could I really gain 5 lbs. in a weekend or is it all from water weight and sodium?

Which brings me to my question...what's the best way to track your sodium intake?
  • jaerene
    jaerene Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone! This is exactly what I needed! Opera_Bound - Thanks for the suggestion to add sodium to my chart. I don't really pay much attention to sodium, because I think I generally do a good job, without trying in that area. Surprise! Surprise! I took in between 3000 and 4000 milligrams of sodium 3 out of 4 days, with Saturday, the day my calories, etc were on track, being the absolute worst! I guess I didn't think I was retaining water because my rings aren't tight, but I suppose I could retain water, without my hands showing it? I will up my water intake to try to flush the sodium and hope to see a change. I actually asked my husband to hide my scales for a couple of weeks because I'm starting to obsess and weigh 1 - 2 times daily. So, I'm going to stay on track - thank you for all the encouraging words - and weigh myself in 2 weeks! Oh, by the way, I do a mix of cardio and strenght training. I build muscle very easily due extra testosterone from a condition called PCOS, so I keep the weight low and reps high. Thanks again everybody! It helps to know I'm not alone!