Track food as a whole meal or individual ingredients?

Options
Sorry if this has been discussed previously but I was wondering how most people on here track their food. For example if you had spaghetti for a meal, would you search for spaghetti with similar ingredients or would you add each individual ingredient? Like for dinner you'd add whole grain spaghetti noodles with the serving that you had, specific sauce, ect.

I've been just adding each individual ingredient since I'm able to put the exact serving I had of each thing and I'm able to know exactly how many calories, carbs, ect. are in each to make up the entire meal. But I dunno if that's the most effective way to do it. Anybody?

Replies

• mcsweetly
    mcsweetly Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I cook all the time, so I put my foods in as meals and then when I make that same dish I can add it as a meal. I find it saves me a lot of time in the long run.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    You can use the recipe builder function on here if you always use the same ingredients and in the same amounts. I just log individually because sone days I might want a little extra protein powder in my oatmeal or a little more egg in my French toast.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I use the recipe builder each time I cook because even with regular meals I make changes to them each time I make it. It only takes a few minutes and then what I've logged is the most accurate representation of my actual meal.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I tend to do what takes the least amount of time, but I also plan ahead. So for a lot of things that have only a few ingredients, I'll just post the ingredients. But a lot of things are regular menu items at my house, so I set up recipes for those and it's just a couple of clicks.
  • fruitloop2
    fruitloop2 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    If it's basic stuff like chicken, rice and veggies I'll log it in separately but if it's something with lots go ingredients in it I use the recipe maker. That way it's all there or the next time I make that dish/meal.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I use the recipe builder each time I cook because even with regular meals I make changes to them each time I make it. It only takes a few minutes and then what I've logged is the most accurate representation of my actual meal.

Same for me.
  • QuietRain
    Options
    I'll only use the recipe builder for crockpot meals or meals that actually combine half of my pantry and fridge.
    I individually log ingredients for the most part.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Unless its my own creation, I list all the individual foods in the meal. If its my own recipe and I make it often, I will enter it in my recipes to make it easier to record each time I eat it.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Depends - if you cook the meal exactly the same way each time the recipe builder works well.....if you slightly change the recipe each time I use the "copy" function, or the "my meal" function, as you can the adjust individual items
  • Zumaria1
    Zumaria1 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I also use recipe builder for dishes like my spaghetti, and chili, because of so many ingredients. Plus I want it to be as accurate as possible. You can always edit your recipe if you change up the dish slightly the next time you make it.
  • kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I add the indiv. ingredient.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    If its not something I eat a lot then I log individual ingredients or find something in the database that's very close. If it's a recipe I make a lot then I create the recipe and save it.
  • tomatini
    tomatini Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I use the recipe builder unless it's something really basic. For example, if you're just having spaghetti with storebought marinara sauce, you can look up the specific brand of spaghetti and sauce as individual foods or input it yourself. If it's more complex or based off a recipe you've read somewhere, then the recipe builder comes in really handy, because you can input the ingredients for the entire meal even if it yields more than one portion, and just add one portion (or however much you've eaten) to your diary that day.
  • greyoutside
    Options
    Ingredients, definitely... unless you are eating out. Otherwise things are bound to be inconsistent.

And by "ingredients" I mean everything that goes into what you're eating in a basic sense. If you used X brand sauce, just find that specific sauce as an ingredient.
  • tomatini
    tomatini Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Yes, if you're buying storebought sauces and stuff I think it's good to look up the specific variety and brand. The calories and sugar content can vary quite a bit from type to type.
  • darls25
    darls25 Posts: 151 Member
    Options

This!!!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Im a throw in a bit of this and a little of that person. I've gotten better at measuring what I put in , but my meals are never cooked the same. I have to do individual ingredients. It throws me off like I know for a fact I didnt get a half an egg with my corn flake dipped chicken, but putting less than that seems silly. IDK i'm always over. It is what it is.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Ingredients.
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I use the recipe builder if it's multiple servings
    If it's single serving I usually just "wing" it so individual ingredients as they're being weighed out.
  • kirschenregen
    Options
    Well, I didn't even know there was a recipe builder. =P
    Shows how observant I am. But then I haven't been on this site long and haven't explored that area much. I definitely will from now on though.
    Thanks everyone. (=