am I eating enough

Options
my target cals are 1200 and i go to the gym and burn some days over 1000 i dont eat these extra cals so most days i have cals left over.
For first few weeks I was taking adios tablets and my weight loss was steady 2lbs a week then 0lbs then put on 0.6lbs for these 2 weeks the only difference was i didnt take the adios i dont want to really on them to shed the weight.
I thought by eating less cals and doing more excercise your body burns fat to get what it requires so you shed lbs so why is it not working?

Replies

• Guggz
    Guggz Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi and thanks for the add. Im no expert but I would up your calories up to 1500 and eat a lot of veggies. Veggies have close to zero calories compared with other food. Just make a smoothie wit a huge fist of spinach, 1 pear and some frosen berries, and a glas of water or two, depending on how much fruit or vegetable you are using in the smoothie. You cant do this twice a day even or just eat the veggies fresh if you can. Also check out the green powders in you closest health store. It is vital to get vitamins and minerals when you are cutting down on your calories. About the burn, way to go, I am impressed. 1000 cal per workout, thats a lot. Its like my saturday running which beats me out.

On another note. If you are working out as much as you say, you might also be increasing your mussle mass also. Muscle is heavier than fat but takes less space "on you". If the clothes on you are getting bigger thats a good sign of you loosing fat, even if you scale does not nudge.

Best of luck.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    what is your work out regimen like now?

what is your age, height, and weight?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you should NET your calorie goal, so no, you're not eating enough.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh and measure your food with a food scale?

How do you calculate your burns?

You should be netting your calorie goal, but you want to make sure that you're being as accurate as possible first. No eyeballing or guessing on portions and using a food scale for everything that is not a free-pouring liquid.
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    my target cals are 1200 and i go to the gym and burn some days over 1000 i dont eat these extra cals so most days i have cals left over.
    For first few weeks I was taking adios tablets and my weight loss was steady 2lbs a week then 0lbs then put on 0.6lbs for these 2 weeks the only difference was i didnt take the adios i dont want to really on them to shed the weight.
    I thought by eating less cals and doing more excercise your body burns fat to get what it requires so you shed lbs so why is it not working?

i don't like the idea of these tablets, if you're eating less calories, and going to the gym it will be enough, have faith in this alone, you don't need tablets, they may be the reason your weight has gone up and down
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    If you are eating 1200 but burning 1000 this only leaves a net of 200 cals.

What is your BMR? Your body needs at least that much to function correctly. You cannot run a car without fuel, so you should not expect to do so with your body.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Two hundred net calories a day is definitely not enough.
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options

If MFP says you need 1,200 calories a day and then you go and do 1000 calories worth of exercise and log them, then your diary will say that your calorie target for the day is 2,200 calories. If you don't eat back the calories you burn doing exercise then what you're doing is 1,200 minus 1,000 = 200 calories for your body to survive on. So what will happen there is that you will lose weight, but it'll be slow and you'll stall alot because your body is in a panic to lower your metabolic rate to match the calories it has to survive on....because it thinks you're entering a famine period and need to conserve energy.
  • steelreader
    Options
    Thanks everyone I always weight food and I take the cal burn off the machines at the gym, Im going to up my cals I eat a day and see how I go :)
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    also take a look at what your eating, if your not fueling your body in the rights way , its not going to work.:wink:
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    You are not properly fuelling your body. 1200 cals net is already far too low for the majority of people.. that along with burning so much and not eating those calories back you are setting yourself up for failure. You will be losing far too much muscle along the way which will make it harder and harder to lose. Raise your base cals and eat back your exercise calories.