C25K stuck and I have big races coming up...!

Options

Replies

• joakool
    joakool Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I would consider all these great suggestions here. I will emphasize a few that have helped me: Make sure you are properly fueled and hydrated before you run. Do not run too fast when you start out -- conserve your energy and let your body tell you how much you can handle. Running is VERY mental. Whether you are training or racing, your mindset can make or break you. And, if you are running on a treadmill: get outside ASAP. If you are not used to running road/trails you will be in for a surprise on race day (and not a nice surprise LOL). Running outside can be more physically demanding however I find running outside is so much easier MENTALLY. I am lucky to last a 1/2 hour on a treadmill before my mind turns to mush. But when I'm outside, I can run over an hour without struggling. Good Luck and don't set your goals too high on race day. Just finish and don't stress about finishing times when you are starting out.
  • ImprovingEla
    ImprovingEla Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I had to slow down my speed 2 times, before I was able to run longer!
    And I also found, that it matters what you eat before, not to heavy, but definitley filling for the run!

Good luck and success!
  • falsecho
    falsecho Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Get spikes or even run in trail shoes if you are going to run in the snow so you don't slip. If the cold is what bothers you just wear some layers and you are good to go. There are ways to run outside in Canada during the winter.

Nutrition wise, everybody is different. I run first thing in the morning only drinking a glass of water. I may run 5 miles, I may run 25, but either way I hate running with something in my stomach. A running buddy of mine has to eat a banana and a bagel before running, they cannot stand running on an empty stomach.

Experiment and see what works best for you.
  • AinE_75
    Options
    Maybe slow up a little till you can get to the point of running that long straight. Once you get the endurance down then work on speed.
    This. Slow down, and you'll be able to run farther. How slow? Slow enough to speak in complete sentences without gasping. I highly recommend getting off the treadmill and going outside so you can adjust your pace as necessary without feeling obligated to try to keep up with a machine setting.

Best of luck!
    +1
    Slow down. I would stay on the treadmill since it's easier to control your speed. Try to run the whole thing at 4.5 or 5 mph. Once you can do it you can get off the treadmill...
  • dstanley753
    dstanley753 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Glad I'm not the only one to see W5D3 and go AHHH I have D2 tomorrow and D3 Friday and I'm terrified...Then I looked at W6D1 and realized it's a test. then my wife reminded me that 4mph (on the treadmill) is still technically jogging (I average 5-5.5) so as long as I stay above that I feel I'll be okay. One "trick" a seasoned runner told me to try is to alternate the incline. I generally leave it at 1.5-2 depending on the machine and found when I start to "gas" if I drop to -2 for a minute or so I re-energize. Good luck, you can do it!
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it too much. I'm just starting week 6 and have a race in two weeks. Not going to finish the program before the race. I'm probably just going to do the race as 9 minute running, two minutes walking, etc etc until I finish. Or if I'm lucky whatever day I'm at in the program on race day will be similar to that!
  • BldHny2002
    BldHny2002 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Running slower seems like I'm cheating. I walk fast - I walk averaging between 4-4.5mph (somewhat comfortably). Running at 5mph would (and does) seem too slow.
  • monjacq1964
    monjacq1964 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    i learned to run at the Running Room. That program works you up to running up to 10 min at a time. I only ever run 10 min, walk one. I've done 4 10k races over the past year. Just do the best you can. It's a head game, more than anything else.

How is your breathing? i find that when i'm not breathing well, i dont run as well. Try counting your breathing. three count on the way in , three on the way out. Yoga helped me to learn to breathe.
  • WAHMto5
    WAHMto5 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Like others have said it appears that you may just need to slow down a bit. From my personal experience and others I have read, the speed is a huge issue as many try to go to fast to soon. You should only be working on distance at this time and not speed. I am currently on W7D2 and I know I would hae not made it this far if I did not take it slow and steady. Speed will come in time;)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    If you are running on the treadmill try shaking it up and running outside.

This. I've run many races up to 10k and even won a few medals, but I can't STAND running on a treadmill for any more than 10 minutes. Get outside, get some great music, and get going.

And so what if you walk a little? Since I got back into running after a stress fracture last winter, I tend to put in walk intervals every time I run, including when I race. It doesn't seem to have any major effect on my overall pace.

Here's some stats from runkeeper runs last summer. Here I ran the entire distance.

just-run.jpg

Here I included walk intervals.

run-walk.jpg

Only four seconds per mile difference. So over a 5k, that would be about 12 seconds difference.

I even got first in age group and a 25:30 finish for a 5k with a couple walk intervals. :smile:

All that matters is crossing that finish line. Doesn't matter if you run as gracefully as a gazelle, or shamble like a zombie.
  • mrpurdy
    mrpurdy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    If you're eating a very low calorie diet (VLCD), you might be hitting a wall. It's important to fuel your body for any kind of exercise. Try taking a gel (I like the Hammer brand gels) @ 1/2 hour before your run. My favorite pre-race fuel was a Snickers bar. :smile: Hydration is also very important.

I would also suggest slowing down. I walk at a pretty quick pace (4.0 - 4.2 mph), but running at 5.0 mph (ESPECIALLY on a dreadmill) takes a LOT more effort.
  • LizCO2DC
    LizCO2DC Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend slowing down your speed. You can always work on increasing your pace after you're able to run the whole thing.
  • KrysGettinFit
    KrysGettinFit Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I hear you, I finished C25K last year, but I've been running on the treadmill for about a month now. For the past week I'm finding it hard to keep myself running and not slowing down (running I go about 6.0-6.5 walking is about 4.0). What I tried last night was (like others have suggested) slowing down (5-5.5) and it helped me be able to run longer, I'm going to do this for a week and then slowly bump the speed back up. It doesn't matter how fast you're going, as long as you are going. Good luck!
  • trhjrh06
    trhjrh06 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    I agree with someone who said it's mental. Sometimes at the point when you think you can't do it anymore, just keep going. It will most definitely help. Also I would suggest slowing down your speed. When I ran my first 5k I was slow, BUT I finished and I ran all but 10min. It took me 42min to complete it. I ran the first 1 1/2+miles walked for about 10min then ran the rest.
    Just believe you can do it and push through it. Don't push too hard though and hurt yourself.

Good luck!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Slow down. Work on speed later. It is actually said on the C25K website that if you can run slower when you start the program then you are running to fast.
  • TravisBikes
    TravisBikes Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the replies, but will share something I remember from reading the book by Rich Roll who did extreme distance events.

If anything, pace yourself with something you can hold for a comfortable bit. Then do some walking, repeat.

If you only feel comfortable doing 20 minutes of running, do that, then a 1 minute walk, 3 minute walk, whatever you need to mentally "reset" yourself.

Another thing to try is try increasing for just 5-10% more than what you were able to do in the last workout. If it's 20 minutes, make yourself push for 21 or 22 minutes. Keep building off this idea each week
  • legnarevocrednu
    legnarevocrednu Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    If that is a goal of yours, that's an honorable goal but maybe you want to reach it too fast.

I hear this way too much. "Think LONGTERM."
    I do run outside, but, um... I'm Canadian, and it's winter. I try to run outside when I can, but bear in mind it's "good weather" when it's sloppy, the snow isn't plowed yet but already melting so it's really slippery. I know it sounds like I'm making excuses but it really isn't the right season/phase of wether for it in my neck of the woods.

So, to complement me telling myself "run through it", what else should I do? Eat before I run? If so, eat what? How much of it? Etc. Though I would say "I'm kind of a runner," (since I run pretty much daily at least for 5mins) I'm still super naive.
    I've completed the C25K once and am mid way through a second time (have taken a two week hiatus so I'm starting back at week 3). Anyways, any time I eat right before I work out, I get stomach cramps. I don't suggest doing that. Do you stretch really well beforehand? What do you do while your running? Listen to music, watch tv? Maybe you just need something to occupy your mind. Stretching really helped me...also, chewing gum worked for me for some reason. And like the others said, slow down. Don't focus on speed yet. You can do that after you finish the program.
  • jtslim42
    jtslim42 Posts: 240
    Options
    Running is mental. You can run longer than 20 minutes. try 21 then 22 and so on. You CAN do this!
  • PixEm
    PixEm Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I just get extremely tired. Sometimes my stomach hurts, sometimes my calves get achy (but not too achy I can't run) but I just get so generally fatigued. It starts to hurt in my arms when I swing them... And the weird thing is, is that as I'm running I can physically tell it *was not* this hard when I first started out.

Question for you. Are you drinking a lot of water during the day? I notice if I don't drink enough water during the day my runs are so bad and I am way exhausted and tired. You may also want to try eating a banana before your run if you don't have anything in your stomach. And lastly, it is 99% a mental game. I play games with myself when I run. Like okay, I see that light pole a 1/4 mile up the road, run to that and you can take a break.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Slow down. Speed will come as you build your aerobic base. Running is running, doesn't matter what speed you're doing it at.