Controversial Topic - Opinions & Debate please!

This morning on a British TV programme called 'This Morning' funily enough a lady who weighed 22 stone went onto the programme and complained that she could not get a job because employers thought she was too fat and how prejudice people are against fat people. There was another lady who was an high profile CEO and employer who was also thin who agreed that she wouldn't employ the larger lady because being fat gave the impression of unambition and laziness. In addition to this she stated that she would employ a thin person with the same qualifications over the larger girl because of this reason.

The larger lady whos name was Jay said she had gone for 12 interviews in 5 years and had no sucess as well as only having GCSE qualifications which are the bare minimum in qualification standards for someone to have in the UK. She is currently claiming benefits and not working.

Do you think that it is right for the employer to judge her in this way and not give her a job? Do you think it is not about her weight at all but her lack of qualifiications?

My opinion is this:

How when she must have other expenses does she have enough money living on benefits to remain large, after expenses most people who are earning barely enough money to buy food let alone someone on a low income like that? I agree that prejudice is wrong but I lost weight to do my job better and I am a much better employee now that I am fitter.

Is it whether you are fat or not or is it merely being fat represents being unhealthy and this hinders you in the work place?

THIS REALLY STRUCK A CHORD WITH ME AND I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR OTHERS OPINIONS, PLEASE RESPECT EACH OTHERS OPINIONS AND DO NOT BE MEAN TO PEOPLE. I DO NOT INTEND TO OFFEND ANYONE, THIS IS JUST A RESPECTFUL DEBATE TOPIC.

Replies

• Even though I am overweight I think I'd employ a slim person too. Only because I know how much I struggled at my last job because of my weight, and not being able to put in as much as a slimmer, fitter person. It's horrible to think and to say, but you'd be thinking of your business at the end of the day.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    We watched a video about a study that was done about this in my HR class in college. They put a hidden camera on two women, a large one and a thin one with the same exact qualifications and experience, and sent them into interview for the same position with the same interviewer. They were told to give the same general responses, smile, etc. The result was that the thin woman got the job offer and the large one didn't. When the interviewer was told the interviewees were part of study and asked why he chose the thin woman over the large woman, he said that he "couldn't put his finger on it" and that the thin woman was a "better fit for the company".

This is just one study but I'm not really surprised. It seemed like this is how it worked for thin, attractive people my whole life. They got what I didn't, all things being the same. Things are different now b*tches!!! :)
  • sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    I've had many obese work collegues who were total overachievers. Everyone deserves probation time to prove they can do the job well.
  • ICarla
    ICarla Posts: 200 Member
    The sad part is it happens everyday, they were just honest enough to speak about it. How you look does play a large roll in a persons judgment of you. If you are overweight it can appear that you don't take pride in yourself. That can, in a human resources professionals mind, corrrelate to you not being up to the challenges of work. It's not right, but its true. I'm overweight, not severely, but I have never had a problem. Thank God.
  • I think that it is the same as discrimination for being disabled. Just because you are overweight, doesn't equate to poor job performance.

Just as someone in a wheelchair could perform a job equally as someone who is able bodied.

Life sucks, but unfortunately, overweight people have a lot of stigmas directed at them.

In fact, I would argue that overweight people work harder to prove themselves equal to thinner peers.

Just because you are thin and fit, doesn't mean you are skilled to be a high performer in your job.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    I think people are uncomfortable around fat people. It's ridiculous.

Also, to weave in the concept of poor people not eating well because they are wasting money on vats of pure lard is ridiculous. That has nothing to do with the issue and it's odd that you would tie it in.
  • morganjrandall
    morganjrandall Posts: 2 Member
    "How when she must have other expenses does she have enough money living on benefits to remain large, after expenses most people who are earning barely enough money to buy food let alone someone on a low income like that? "

I'd argue that lower income families rely on fast food & processed food because it's cheaper than buying real food. Especially when buying a fresh plank of salmon costs $20 but fish-sticks cost 5$.

My thoughts: I think it's awful to discriminate based on appearances. If all else were equal, I think overweight people should have the same probability of getting a job as healthy people.

However, all else ISN'T equal. There is another issue at play, that employers may take into account when hiring a new employee:
    I think the logic behind hiring an average weight person over an obese person is that the obese person will have more health problems, both physical and mental. Depression, fatigue, and the suite of health problems associated with obesity render an overweight person less able to do their job - if not presently, in the near future.
  • HeatherisHungry
    HeatherisHungry Posts: 7 Member
    In the US that is illegal. Unless there are physical demands that the overweight person is not able to perform (i.e. bus drivers need to be able to move freely in the isles to evacuate the bus in an emergency, if someone can't fit in the isle because of their weight they can't form the essential functions of the job) it is against the law to not hire someone because of their weight (just like it is for race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, etc.).

Using an office/IT type job as an example, if two people have the exact same qualifications and you don't hire one just because they are overweight, that is discrimination. Obviously most hiring managers won’t say that is the reason, but if they did or even hinted that a person was not hired because of their weight that person could file an Equal Opportunity complaint.

As for how does she have enough money to stay fat? I know it is often disputed that junk food costs less than healthy food, but if someone has $5 they are more likely to go get a value meal at McDonalds than go to the grocery store and get a loaf of wheat bread, a carton of eggs and a package of frozen spinach.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,749 Member
    I think the logic behind hiring an average weight person over an obese person is that the obese person will have more health problems, both physical and mental. Depression, fatigue, and the suite of health problems associated with obesity render an overweight person less able to do their job - if not presently, in the near future.

And the employer is the one paying for the health benefits as well.
  • Lalouse
    Lalouse Posts: 221 Member
    My opinion is this:

How when she must have other expenses does she have enough money living on benefits to remain large, after expenses most people who are earning barely enough money to buy food let alone someone on a low income like that? I agree that prejudice is wrong but I lost weight to do my job better and I am a much better employee now that I am fitter.

Is it whether you are fat or not or is it merely being fat represents being unhealthy and this hinders you in the work place?

Are you joking with me? Instead of focusing on the topic that you introduced, you are attacking people who live on benefits i.e. poor people? This is why regular people shouldn't have these debates and why people without public health degrees shouldn't be making public health policies or decisions (another reason why most of our politicians don't know what they are talking about)

In the field of public health, it is COMMON knowledge that poor people are more likely to be overweight or obese. In the United States, this also means that minorities like African Americans are more likely to be overweight or obese. I'm not going to go into the specifics of this, as you could have a whole semester on it in public health school, but that's the reality. The fact that she is or is not on benefits shouldn't be used against her. I hope that if you ever have a rough time in life, or go bankrupt because of a major health issue or lose your job or so on or so forth, you don't have self-hate because you might have to go on benefits. The welfare system is there for a reason (although it needs some major reform in the United States).

When it comes to your original issue of whether or not employers are right/justified/allowed to discriminate against fat people, I'll agree that this happens alot, but it really shouldn't. I mean, would you fire your skinny employee if she became fat during her time employed? Would you hire an employee with a clear face or one with a few pimples?

The reality is that employers make hiring decisions for a whole variety of reasons, most of which are illogical. A recent study also showed that women who wear a moderate amount of makeup are more likely to get hired than women who don't wear any makeup and women who wear too much makeup are the least likely to be hired. Light-skinned people are more likely to be hired than dark-skinned people. People with "weird" names (like me) are less likely to be hired than John, Jane, and Sarah. I've pretty much come to the conclusion that hiring is completely subjective and when the hiring people themselves become more diverse, that's when we'll start to see hiring that is more "fair". Or someone will sue and it'll go to the supreme court.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    I think it is undeniable that obese people routinely suffer workplace discrimination which is ultimately based on prejudice.

No, it is not right if they are suitably qualified to do the job.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    If you've only gone to 12 interviews in 5 years, you're not trying very hard to find a job and probably are lazy and unambitious.
  • morganjrandall
    morganjrandall Posts: 2 Member
    If you've only gone to 12 interviews in 5 years, you're not trying very hard to find a job and probably are lazy and unambitious.

Good point!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    In the US that is illegal. Unless there are physical demands that the overweight person is not able to perform (i.e. bus drivers need to be able to move freely in the isles to evacuate the bus in an emergency, if someone can't fit in the isle because of their weight they can't form the essential functions of the job) it is against the law to not hire someone because of their weight (just like it is for race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, etc.).

Using an office/IT type job as an example, if two people have the exact same qualifications and you don't hire one just because they are overweight, that is discrimination. Obviously most hiring managers won’t say that is the reason, but if they did or even hinted that a person was not hired because of their weight that person could file an Equal Opportunity complaint.

As for how does she have enough money to stay fat? I know it is often disputed that junk food costs less than healthy food, but if someone has $5 they are more likely to go get a value meal at McDonalds than go to the grocery store and get a loaf of wheat bread, a carton of eggs and a package of frozen spinach.

Wrong. Employers are not allowed to discriminate based on race, gender, pregnancy, disability, age, military service, or religious preference. That's where it ends. Everything else is up to the employer's discretion. Unless you are a tankass to the point where you roll with handicapped plates, you're SOL. Even then, they can just make up whatever they want. Laws against discrimination are a nice thought, but realistically unenforceable.
  • "As for how does she have enough money to stay fat? I know it is often disputed that junk food costs less than healthy food, but if someone has $5 they are more likely to go get a value meal at McDonalds than go to the grocery store and get a loaf of wheat bread, a carton of eggs and a package of frozen spinach."

I find this interesting - i do dispute that take away is cheaper than supermarkets especially with value brands giving people low priced foods and takeaways being relatively expensive here...how can someone on benefits budget £5 for one singular meal when they can go to the supermarket and buy three items that will last longer? £5 is a lot of money when you claim benefits and I do not understand how it can be budgeted on one meal when you have to make every penny last.

And i have nothing against people on benefits who need to be. I pay my taxes and I am happy to help others who need help through the benefit system. My father was severely disabled fromthe age of 19 until he died at 38 and the benefit system helped support us. What i do object to is paying my taxes to pay for someone who witters away the money instead of using it for the purpose it was intended for.
  • SquidgySquidge
    SquidgySquidge Posts: 239 Member
    For me, it would depend on the role.

I work in an office and I conduct interviews. I honestly wouldn't think of not hiring someone because they were overweight.

However, if I worked in say a Health Food store and I wanted to employ an assistant, I wouldn't employ someone overweight.
    Same as I wouldn't employ someone who was terribly underweight, had bad personal hygiene or acne.

I know, that sounds awful, but if I was running a health food store I'd want my staff to look healthy.

Acne, anorexia, being fat - it wouldn't put me off you for a role in my office though, so long as whatever issues you have won't impact your work. I would hire you based on your experience, qualifications and personality.

Hey, if you had to be gorgeous to work here, I'd be unemployed!
  • Schmelvie
    Schmelvie Posts: 233 Member
    I've had many obese work collegues who were total overachievers. Everyone deserves probation time to prove they can do the job well.

You're exactly right, "EVERYONE deserves" is the key here. Meaning that the thin person deserves it too. The fat person doesn't deserve it any more than the thin person.

Hiring is all about risk mitigation. It's an attempt to find the best employee from very limited information. Part of this information is appearance. It's one small piece to a very complicated puzzle. Is it possible that the fat person would do a better job?... Sure it's possible; but it's still a risk. is it possible that a scraggy-dressed guy with tattoos all over could do a better job?... Sure it's possible, but would you pick him over a well-dressed, finely groomed individual (assuming all other qualifications are equal)?

In my opinion it's not discrimination, it's simply risk management.
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Background - I've been trained and certified as trained job coach, and job developer.

That being said: Weight is not a protected class in the United Stated Gollowmere is correct.

People tend to hire people that are like themselves, or the people they want to be. That is why countless studies how thinner people make more money on average. Is it unfair? Maybe, but what’s the solution fat people quotas at places of employment? People that are more qualified don't get hired all the time because they present themselves poorly in the interview. If part of that is because of their weight then only they can change that. People need to stop blaming others for their problems, life is not fair, its life. Before I get tons of responses saying I’m some heartless ahole. I realized that in my job I needed to lose weight if I wanted to advance, so for the past seven years I’ve been working out almost every day and have lost almost 140 pounds, so if I can do while employed with children this women in England should be able to as well.
  • dovetail22uk
    dovetail22uk Posts: 339 Member
    That programme rots your brain! And thank goodness I don't have to watch it cos I'm at work!

Have you thought that maybe they were being deliberately controversial?

Have just googled it and found it on the Daily Mail website (no surprise) and the CEO is the same woman who (in the Daily Mail recently) was quoted as saying she doesn't let her kids play with other children that she deems "beneath them".

Think you should take all this with a pinch of salt.
  • That programme rots your brain! And thank goodness I don't have to watch it cos I'm at work!

Have you thought that maybe they were being deliberately controversial?

I usually am at work too but the children I work with gave me the flu so I am at home today for the first time in a long time. Yes completely they were trying to be controversial and I'm sure this thread is controversial too but I was curious as to what other people thought about it. We all have weight issues on here and that is why we are all using this site so i wanted opinions from people who share an awareness of weight and fitness not just the two people that show decided to put on their sofa.