South Beach Diet Phase 1 - Not enough calories??

Options
I just recently started (about 4 days in) the South Beach Diet Phase 1. I've been doing really well with the carbs, and no cravings, but I haven't been getting close to 1200 calories/day. I've been averaging 900. I'm starting to get concerned!!

Anyone else having this problem or any advice??

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Eat more?
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Eat more?

Agreed.
  • VKanzler
    Options
    I try to!! It just doesn't add up to much calories. My carb numbers are good, and I actually do eat what is outlined for phase 1
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Are you calorie counting or south beaching? I thought the purpose of diets like South Beach is to give the practitioner a framework for eating, without going the trouble of counting. Whereas, if you're counting calories, it empowers you to eat essentially anything you want provided that it fits into your numbers.

So in other words, if you're counting calories, then Carbs Schmarbs.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Are portions outlined in Phase One? It's been so long since I've done that particular diet...can you try increasing your portion sizes? 6 oz of chicken breast instead of 4oz, for example?
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I've done South Beach. There's no reason to count calories. Add good fats to your diet to up the calories: olive oil, peanut butter, avocado, etc.
  • VKanzler
    Options
    I watch my carb intake, but I know you are supposed to meet at least 1200 calories a day nutrition wise. I take vitamins and am doing what my doctor recommended. I was just seeing if anyone else had this problem at first since I am new to this diet plan.

I usually did just count calories so this is completely different to me. Maybe thats why the calorie part worries me.

Thanks for the advice!!!
  • linsrae1
    Options
    Hey! I have done the South Beach Phase 1 twice. It only lasts for 2 weeks, after which you will see an increase in the calories. I think the purpose of this phase is just to jump start your weight-loss, help get rid of carb cravings and start you thinking about healthy choices. Then you slowly add back in more calories and other foods, but hopefully with better food choices and less cravings than before. Phase 2 you will actually hit 1200-1500 calories per day. It's a great experience and I really love to suggest it to people that are trying to learn how to eat properly.

Hope this elevates some of the nervousness! Best of luck! If you have any questions on this in the future feel free to message me. I did quite a lot of research when I did the diet and have a lot of the South Beach material.
  • Guitar1969
    Guitar1969 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    SBD does not have you count calories at all in any phase. (I am doing it right now). The thinking is you eat on the plan till you are full. Right now in phase one you are not eating many carbs (no fruit or whole grain) so your calories are all from veggies, good fat and protein so you will fill up quick wit hnot alot of calories. When you move to phase 2 after 2 weeks you will be adding back carbs which will increase your calorie numbers, but you will lose weight at a slower pace (maybe 1-2 lbs a week). Although it is tempting to stay in phase 1 for rapid weight loss, you need to get to phase 2 because of the added nutrients from the good carbs.
  • linsrae1
    Options
    Lol-and by elevates I definitely was trying to spell eleviate. Ha.
  • runningindigo
    runningindigo Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    @VKanzler I think counting to count your calories while doing South Beach will keep your calorie counting habits in tact. I think it's a good practice and you should continue to count. Also, try to eat more food! I know on SBD the foods don't add up to many calories, but try to eat more! Good luck on your journey!! :smile:
  • Funky7448
    Options
    I had the same experience and was worried, but since I am getting the vitamins i need and not feeling hungry, I let it go. I start Phase 2 this week. Hopefully, I can add some calories back.
  • the4rascals
    the4rascals Posts: 10
    Options
    I'm starting South Beach right now, and just out of curiosity, I went through Phase 1 Day 1 of the meal plan in the book, and calculated what all of the calories would be. I came up with 107 for breakfast, 70 for morning snack, 274 for lunch (that's with 4 oz of chicken), 55 for afternoon snack, 411 for dinner (5 spears of asparagus and 1/2 T olive oil on salad) and 178 for dessert, totaling: 1506 calories for the day and approximately 41 carbs.
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Dang! Maybe that's why it always works for me! Are you using the book with the meal guide?
  • ksa22
    ksa22 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! iI'm on the 2nd week of phase 1 and I know what you mean! Its hard to eat more calories esp since we can't eat carbs. I recommend eating nuts, cheese and drinking milk to get more calories.