Walking in the dark

Options
If I want to walk first thing in the morning...I will have to do it around 4:30am or 5am on some mornings. It is not light yet and I'm not sure how I feel about walking in the dark. We live in the country so I walk on country roads, past wooded areas & corn fields. I carry pepper spray & my cell phone when I walk anytime. But I don't think it would be safe or smart to walk alone in the dark. DH says I'm paranoid, but weird things happen to people all the time in this world. Is there anyone that walks/jogs/runs in the dark? What are your thoughts?

Replies

• Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I run that early in the morning in a city. I have never had an issue at that time of the morning. I wear a headlamp most of the time so I can see where I am and where I am going. I also know many ways to get home. I avoid parked cars with people in them as much as possible. Other than that cell phone I find is the key.
  • Nlongenecker
    Nlongenecker Posts: 765
    Options
    OK, maybe this does sound paranoid (like DH says), maybe I watch too much TV. But I only have so many options as far as routes (2-3 maybe). I'm afraid someone could hide in the corn or woods for me if they knew my route. As I write it, it does sound silly. But have you ever heard reports of people getting attacked and you think, "What the heck were they doing alone at that time of day, that was just stupid."? I just don't want to be that person.
  • striker1988
    Options
    You could take a 9MM or a .44 magnum with you. I doubt you'd run into any issues in that case. lol
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    I think you're perfectly safe from people in the country at 4:30 in the morning. Let's be honest, the farmer who's awake that early is going to look at you as a silly city girl who moved to the country and isn't getting exercise on her farm. The thing(s) you need to be afraid of are animals. At that time, I would carry a stick, not pepper spray. The only animals that would hurt you would be ones that you surprised. But if you had a stick, you could push them out of the way, smack them once, etc., not temporarily blind them (which could result in car accidents/injuries all around) with pepper spray.

Take it from a country girl, you're safe out there. Really, really safe. :smile:
  • ron2282
    ron2282 Posts: 2,772 Member
    Options
    I don't think you're being paranoid. I walk in the dark too, but only if my husband comes with me. Up until last year I lived in a really bad neighborhood. I just can't bring myself to walk around in the dark by myself even though we live in a very safe community now and the state police barracks is less than a mile away from the house. Do whatever you feel comfortable with.
  • athenafl
    athenafl Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I run early in a heavily populated urban area. Getting hit by a car is a much bigger concern to me than being attacked. (Not that being attacked hasn't crossed my mind--I'm thinking in terms of probability.) I wear a flashing light, carry a cell phone, have a reflective band around my ankle (a road ID), and select a route that I know has a minimum of folks camping out on the sidewalk or on bus benches. I also make sure my husband knows about what time I left and the route I took. Since I tell him the night before, I make darn sure I follow the plan I shared with him.

In the end, you've got to do what you're comfortable with.
  • MyKidzMom
    MyKidzMom Posts: 97
    Options
    I believe the only thing I would worry about are vehicles. Just be sure to wear something reflective.
  • kimberly428
    kimberly428 Posts: 237
    Options
    hmmm, I used to all the time...but I had my huge German Shepard with me :) dont think I would be out there without her. I am paranoid too...LOL
  • musicmrse
    musicmrse Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    You're only as safe as you are smart. If you're going to go, take precautions for sure.
  • janetgardiner
    Options
    I'm with you walking alone in the country can be a problem. If you want to do it tell someone what time you'll be back, which way your walking, where all the bright color clothes. But I would be happier doing an hour of step at home, and I find I burn more calories that way too. During the winter here it get dark at 4:30 and unless I have to I walk with someone. You just don't know what nut cases are out there.
  • Nlongenecker
    Options
    I agree. Here's my theory (as off base as it may sound): In the cities you have stabbings and shootings and gangs. In the country you have wierdos and meth lab junkies. I used to not be so scared of things, but about year ago, I was staying alone (DH works out of town Mon-Thurs). I got home one night after dark and there were foot steps in the snow leading to the gate of my fence, living room window and bedroom window. I called my dad & we called the police. They said they had had problems with break-ins in the area (4 total). It could be punk kids, who knows.
  • mirgss
    mirgss Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I have just started running in the early morning and I don't feel unsafe. I've considered bringing a flashlight with me, but as another poster said, I would be more worried about animals than people. However, do what feels safest for you. I think mace/cell phone is an excellent idea.
  • amandabrady
    amandabrady Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I live in the country, and I think that the more you let your mind wander, the more uncomfortable you will be. I've been out and about very early, and although I do agree that there are crazy country bumpkins out there from time to time, I believe it's safe enough to go alone. You're definitely prepared with pepper spray and your cell phone. I would add some reflective clothing, and a light of some sort. I also agree with whoever suggested telling someone close to you where and when you're going in advance so people are aware of what you are doing. Being out that early in the morning can be very refreshing and an awesome experience. Give it a go one time, and if you feel uncomfortable then go from there! Good luck to you =)
  • CreativeRedhead
    CreativeRedhead Posts: 2,166
    Options
    Ah you're not paranoid! I live in the country too. I usually go walking late in the evening after the heat of the day is gone. Sometimes it's after sunset before I get out. Recently I had an experience. I was walking down a side road...no homes just woods on either side and a car turned down that road saw me and turned around. That was scary. I would just say stay alert but you can't let fear rule your life. Have your cell on you and whatever makes you more comfortable. :flowerforyou:
  • Vallandingham
    Vallandingham Posts: 2,177
    Options
    If I want to walk first thing in the morning...I will have to do it around 4:30am or 5am on some mornings. It is not light yet and I'm not sure how I feel about walking in the dark. We live in the country so I walk on country roads, past wooded areas & corn fields. I carry pepper spray & my cell phone when I walk anytime. But I don't think it would be safe or smart to walk alone in the dark. DH says I'm paranoid, but weird things happen to people all the time in this world. Is there anyone that walks/jogs/runs in the dark? What are your thoughts?

Don't do it. Get a partner and walk when it's light out. Why take chances? You're not paranoid at all.
  • Vallandingham
    Vallandingham Posts: 2,177
    Options
    Ah you're not paranoid! I live in the country too. I usually go walking late in the evening after the heat of the day is gone. Sometimes it's after sunset before I get out. Recently I had an experience. I was walking down a side road...no homes just woods on either side and a car turned down that road saw me and turned around. That was scary. I would just say stay alert but you can't let fear rule your life. Have your cell on you and whatever makes you more comfortable. :flowerforyou:

I have been accosted while out walking and I don't consider myself to be the typical victim profile.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Kind'a depends,,, where are you?

Back holler of West Virginia, you could do it in perfect safety. Suburb of Rahway New Jersey, you better have some backup. It all depend.

Personally I like to swim buck naked in the river at 2am, and nobody's ever bothered me. 'course that's me. :noway:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    In the cities you have stabbings and shootings and gangs. In the country you have wierdos and meth lab junkies.

Well all the above happens everywhere, the good, the bad and the uggie neighborhood alike, the places you least suspect it happening is where it likely is, it may just be more hidden from view. There's meth labs in cars, shacks, you name it, they're pretty portable so if someone really wants to get away with something they likely will. Plus there is no typical 'weirdo', most would never recogonize a 'child molester' on the street, or a purse snatcher etc. Not everyone fits the sterotype.

I personally would walk, but I'm a risk taker (yes, I'm working on it), would I suggest it for another? NO, I'm with Vallandingham's advice, there's no reason to put yourself at risk in the dark late at night or very early in the a.m as a woman, not in this day and time!

Most especially since you're already concerned you're going to spook yourself silly and I sure don't mean that in a mean way. But if you're already concerned every single noise you hear your heart rate is going to fly through the roof and while you do want your heart rate to go up while excercising, you want it to go up naturally. :wink:

I remember living in the country and when you're raised in it, it's far different than when you move there. Every sound means something scary to you if you're not from there.

Hope you can workout another plan for excercise where you get a good workout in and feel safe doing it.:flowerforyou:
  • Nlongenecker
    Options
    I remember living in the country and when you're raised in it, it's far different than when you move there. Every sound means something scary to you if you're not from there.

I know it may not sound like it, but I've lived in the country my whole life too.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I did during the winter. I get off work at 6:30 and it would be dark by 6 so I would just try to stay within the most lit areas, carried a flashlight and always have my cell phone. I just ordered a RoadID bracelet and plan on wearing it anytime I leave the house. It's just a strip of fabric that you either tie on your shoelaces that has your emergency contacts' information, any allergies you may have, whether you're a donor, etc. or you can get a wristband (which is what I ordered since I don't always wear the same shoes when I go out). It's $20 and there are so many instances it would come in handy. Maybe this would put your mind at ease a little...if something WERE to happen, your family or whoever would be contacted right away.