TDEE & MFP settings question

Options
I used the TDEE calculator on the scooby workshop site and let's say my TDEE is 2000, my BMR is 1350 and my caloric needs according to my activity level is 1490. Do I change my MFP to 1490 and sedentary and NOT log my exercise? Or do i leave it 1200 set my activity level to 3-5 days week and eat back my exercise calories? I'm confused!! You think I'd have it figured out since I have already lost weight, but I'm at a standstill and want to start it moving again

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure where you're getting the numbers. If your TDEE is 2000 with your exercise included then you take your deficit (sine you don't have a lot to lose I'd use 10%) off your TDEE and that is what you eat and don't add any exercise.

If you want to use BMR at 1350 then multiply that by at least 1.2 for sedentary or 1.45 for moderately active plus eat your exercise (actually that's your choice).

It's best to pick a method and stick with it. Trying to cross between one to the other just makes for confusion.
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure where you're getting the numbers. If your TDEE is 2000 with your exercise included then you take your deficit (sine you don't have a lot to lose I'd use 10%) off your TDEE and that is what you eat and don't add any exercise.

If you want to use BMR at 1350 then multiply that by at least 1.2 for sedentary or 1.45 for moderately active plus eat your exercise (actually that's your choice).

It's best to pick a method and stick with it. Trying to cross between one to the other just makes for confusion.

My numbers are a 'what if' because I don't have the numbers in front of me. Just put xxx where the numbers are. My question is about how to set up using Mfp if I go by TDEE
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Scooby's calculator includes exercise in your activity level, so you don't eat back your exercise calories. When you manually override your MFP settings, the activity level makes no difference.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    You don't have to log your exercise, if you're using TDEE-10% method, just set up a custom calorie level at that goal. Though if you want to track exercise, just to track it, you can put in the exercise, but change the calories burned to 1. That way, you're tracking it, but MFP won't give you more calories to eat.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    Can someone comment on why we cannot just use the guided calculations on MFP? Seems to me many people go to other websites to get their numbers and then manually input it on this site. Why?
  • Yooperm35
    Options
    Can someone comment on why we cannot just use the guided calculations on MFP? Seems to me many people go to other websites to get their numbers and then manually input it on this site. Why?

Because it's no longer working for me
  • anasantos61
    anasantos61 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Yooperm35
    Options
    Scooby's calculator includes exercise in your activity level, so you don't eat back your exercise calories. When you manually override your MFP settings, the activity level makes no difference.

So if set my goal @1495 and exercise 500 still eat 1495?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Yes cause on days you don't workout and burn nothing you still eat 1495. That way for the week eating 1200 plus exercise cals should be close to eating 1495 everyday. Lets say you burn 500 cals 4 times/week so you would eat 10,400 (1200*7+500*4) according to MFP or 10,465 (1495*7) using Scooby's, almost the same amount for the entire week.
  • NormInv
    Options

Yes I got that.

Sorry to ask a general question, but for many people either starting out or not, I have seen on this forum that they calculate their numbers on other sites and then input them on MFP. My question is, have people established that MFP calculations are erroneous?
  • shelbysp8
    shelbysp8 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Read this it explains it all and how to customize your MFP page

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12:
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options

Yes I got that.

Sorry to ask a general question, but for many people either starting out or not, I have seen on this forum that they calculate their numbers on other sites and then input them on MFP. My question is, have people established that MFP calculations are erroneous?

a lot of people on here first started off with the typical 1200 calories that MFP gives you, and then realized that they would much rather eat more and get better results. If you want to stick with 1200, make sure you are eating all your exercise calories back, because ultimately, that is how it was designed. But say you are just watching what you eat, and not exercising, you need to eat somewhere between your BMR and your TDEE.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I used the TDEE calculator on the scooby workshop site and let's say my TDEE is 2000, my BMR is 1350 and my caloric needs according to my activity level is 1490. Do I change my MFP to 1490 and sedentary and NOT log my exercise? Or do i leave it 1200 set my activity level to 3-5 days week and eat back my exercise calories? I'm confused!! You think I'd have it figured out since I have already lost weight, but I'm at a standstill and want to start it moving again

You can do it either way...one is the TDEE method (don't log or eat back exercise calories)...the other is the MFP method (log and eat back calories). Often, the MFP method is easier for new people because they don't have an established and consistent exercise routine so their calorie burns are all over the place...this can make utilizing the TDEE method very difficult and obviously if you missed/skipped exercise, it would throw your whole formula off.

I started with the MFP method to lose 1 Lb per week and ate back roughly 80% of my exercise calories back and consistently lost 1 Lb per week. When I got into a consistent routine of exercise, I moved to the TDEE method...but that was only when I got comfortable with my routine and I could see I was burning xxx calories per day and xxx calories per week.

It works out roughly the same....MFP's goal for me was 1,890...when I ate back my exercise calories I averaged anywhere from 2,050 to 2,250 depending on the day...and on average burn 1,770 calories per week doing exercise. When that became evidently routine I just upped my calories from 1,890 to 2,150 (TDEE - 20%) to account for that exercise and no longer log it or eat those calories back...it's just set and built in. I just have to be aware that any change to my routine is going to mess with my formula.
  • Yooperm35
    Options

Yes I got that.

To me, saying that everyone should eat 1200 calories and then adjust according to their activity level is saying all blue cars can go 100 miles on 5 gallons of gas. Everyone is not the same and when things stop, it's time to fine tune
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Yes I got that.

I think the biggest "problem" with MFP is that people don't enter their information correctly. They underestimate their activity level and set their goals too high. Often TDEE- % is similar if they actually work out the goals the same way (TDEE-10% is going to be closer to losing half a pound a week for example.)
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

From your random example, if you want to follow TDEE you would use TDEE-10% and not eat back any calories. From the random numbers you used, that would be 1800 a day, not 1495.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

You can...the MFP method is perfectly valid as long as you're doing it correctly...many people don't...they refuse to eat back exercise calories, etc because they do not understand the MFP method. Also, many people take a very aggressive approach with MFP and MFP won't stop you from doing so. MFP won't tell you that your weight loss goals are too aggressive and result in calorie intake below your BMR...other calculators do tell you this.

For example, 2 Lbs per week loss goal is not a valid approach unless you have about 50+ Lbs to lose...less than that and the gap between your TDEE and BMR is usually too small for that kind of deficit and results in a calorie intake below your BMR (that's a very f'ing bad thing). Many people stay on the same loss goal into perpetuity...shouldn't be that way...the loss goal should get smaller the closer you get to goal weight because that gap between TDEE and BMR gets smaller and smaller and smaller to the point where someone with 10 Lbs to lose really can't go beyond 1/2 Lb loss goal without going below their BMR.

I personally use the TDEE method because it's easier to just plan my calories for the day and know what those are day to day rather than starting with some number...doing some exercise and then having to get some more food in me to fuel it. At this point, for me, it's set it and forget it...though the MFP method was helpful early on and I usually recommend newbies use it...and use it properly.
  • NormInv
    Options
    Thank you for the comments on why MFP numbers could be off. I am a guy so it did not tell me to eat 1200 calories. I used the sedentary option and it gave me 1550 calories. If on top of that I workout, which I do, I can make my total intake to 1750 to 2000 calories.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I do! I've run my numbers using other sites like Scooby's, and my average daily calories works out almost exactly the same, but I'd rather eat my exercise calories on the day I burn them rather than average them out over the week because:
    1. It makes me actually do the exercise
    2. I'm ravenous after a workout!
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options

Because MFPs standard answer for women is always around 1200 calories. This isn't necessarily what's best for all women.

I used that calculator someone posted a while back and got my BMR and then used 10 weeks of weight loss to determine my true TDEE based on that and subtracted 20%. That's what I based my calorie intake on.

It's trial and error. I modified my intake to 1480 (based on the above) and didn't feel that was working, so I compromised between the 1240 MFP wanted me to eat and the 1480 I was doing and I've settled in at 1350 and I'm losing weight again slowly.

My suggestion is whenever you reset numbers you give it three to four weeks of the new "plan" before making modifications. It takes your body a bit to readjust to your new intake.