5k hilly run is a surprise to me!

Options
I am running my first 5k in 5 days. My practice run times are at best 32 minutes. When I am done I feel like I could do a bit more. That being said I have only been running on flat ground. I just checked the course map and it is at the base of a mountain range and has very long stretches of inclines and declines. Should I scrap the run or just go for it? I no longer feel prepared but may just rely on adrenaline to get me through it. I used to run up mountain trails several days a week and run 6-9 miles a day but sat around and made 2 babies in the last 3 years and my body is very different. I mentally know what to do but am not sure my body can do it.

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Will you be happy just participating, challenging yourself and completing the race? Or are you bound and determined to hit a certain time?

If the former, then definitely go for it. If the latter, then maybe abandon ship depending on how aggressive your goal time is. If this is the case, you should probably consider reevaluating your goals and how you train.
  • jtslim42
    jtslim42 Posts: 240
    Options
    Go for it! and challenge yourself. You will be proud of yourself when you complete it.
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Do it!!!! Don't let a few hills stop you! If you have to stop and walk, who cares. If you can push through it, think how awesome it will feel!!!
  • deep220
    deep220 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Always go for it!!! Forget about your time and just finish it. Trust me it feels great. Then after your first 5k your next will be shooting to improve. Walk if you need to. My first 5k my time was terrible but crossing that finish line I didn't care. I made it. It gives you something to build on.
  • mlkiel
    mlkiel Posts: 91
    Options
    Do it, what's a few hills...once you start and the adrenaline is going, you won't even notice. Best of luck to ya!!:flowerforyou:
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Do it!!!! Don't let a few hills stop you! If you have to stop and walk, who cares. If you can push through it, think how awesome it will feel!!!

This. Good luck!
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Will you be happy just participating, challenging yourself and completing the race? Or are you bound and determined to hit a certain time?

If the former, then definitely go for it. If the latter, then maybe abandon ship depending on how aggressive your goal time is. If this is the case, you should probably consider reevaluating your goals and how you train.

^^^^^ this.

what's more important to you? time or participating/finishing. only you can answer this question and you also have to remember you PAID for the race. do you really want to throw in the towel just because you've only been running on flat surfaces. seems like a great way to waste your money.
  • MJMARIN81
    Options
    I agree with most. Let go of any expectations or goals you had set when you didnt know it was a hilly track and just do it and have fun. You may be surprised at how well you do or on the other hand it can be a good reference point to improve upon.
  • suemar74
    suemar74 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Personal triumph usually happens outside of your comfort zone. Go for it.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I agree with Sue. Go for it. My only advice would be to remember to shorten your stride a bit going downhill. Overextending can lead to injury. Expect to feel the burn in your quads when you finish (in a good way)

Good luck and please report back on the results!
  • Rachrealtor
    Options
    I am not competing. I just want the lifestyle back. As long as I finish I will be happy. I just don't want to be unrealistic. Thank you for all of the encouraging words. I am excited for the race again! Even if I have to walk a bit.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I am not competing. I just want the lifestyle back. As long as I finish I will be happy. I just don't want to be unrealistic.

Don't let fear of failing keep you from trying. Even if you only make it a mile before you have to stop, it's a mile more than if you don't try at all. You also don't have to run the whole thing, you can trade off walking and running. I say go for it, and if you're finding it difficult, slow down.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I am not competing. I just want the lifestyle back. As long as I finish I will be happy. I just don't want to be unrealistic. Thank you for all of the encouraging words. I am excited for the race again! Even if I have to walk a bit.

Then definitely go for it. Good luck, you'll have a blast!
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options

i think you'll be fine. just remember to look down when running up hill (that way you're not staring at the top the whole time thinking UGH when will I get THERE! :)
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options

BTW I just realized I'm in a similar boat. I'm doing a race in two weeks that I know has some major hills and I really haven't done any hill running at all since I began. Might want to fix that!
  • srk369
    srk369 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I have a 1/2 this weekend that will be flat, so I've been training for that. Next month I'm running a 10k that is in the hill country. I guess I'll have about a month to add hills to my training!!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Just do it!! If you have to walk some so be it. It'll be a nice challenge for you.
  • Rachrealtor
    Options
    I beat my best time by 2 minutes!
  • OspreyVista
    OspreyVista Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    The only thing that's stopping you is saying you can't. If you don't think you can do it, then you won't do it. However, if you think you can (Which you can) you will do it :) Changing it up to add hills is going to be a great challenge, I say go for it and enjoy it!
  • Rachrealtor
    Options
    The only thing that's stopping you is saying you can't. If you don't think you can do it, then you won't do it. However, if you think you can (Which you can) you will do it :) Changing it up to add hills is going to be a great challenge, I say go for it and enjoy it!
    You are right! This was from an old post that people asked me to post my results on. I did the race today and completed 2 minutes better than my personal best. The hills were motivating in the end. Finished in a modest 30:53. Can't wait to chip my time down more.