Over-eaters Anonymous

Options
2»

Replies

• 366to266
    366to266 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Also OA practices abstinence from trigger foods, which i think sets you up for failure. As I've learned from several books on the dieting mindset and Intuitive Eating, to completely refrain from trigger foods, "junk", and sweets makes you want them even more

ABSOLUTELY NOT MY EXPERIENCE!

Nope, my experience was the complete OPPOSITE of this.

I tried for YEARS and YEARS to have "just a little bit" of the things that I craved and all it did was keep the craving alive. It was like I was teasing myself with the little portions of the things I loved, trying to eat one cookie or one small this or that, or substitutes like sweeteners or Diet Coke.

The cravings drove me nearly insane!

Only when I decided to go Cold Turkey on everything I craved did I find complete freedom, control and relief.

Far from craving these forbidden foods I now have no interest in them whatsoever.
  • Reza151
    Reza151 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    the idea is thst by restricting them, they become special, like a forbidden fruit. By allowing them (in moderation, and only when hungry), they no longer have that power; rather they become equal in value to an apple, or oatmeal. different strokes for different folks.
    Also OA practices abstinence from trigger foods, which i think sets you up for failure. As I've learned from several books on the dieting mindset and Intuitive Eating, to completely refrain from trigger foods, "junk", and sweets makes you want them even more

ABSOLUTELY NOT MY EXPERIENCE!

Nope, my experience was the complete OPPOSITE of this.

I tried for YEARS and YEARS to have "just a little bit" of the things that I craved and all it did was keep the craving alive. It was like I was teasing myself with the little portions of the things I loved, trying to eat one cookie or one small this or that, or substitutes like sweeteners or Diet Coke.

The cravings drove me nearly insane!

Only when I decided to go Cold Turkey on everything I craved did I find complete freedom, control and relief.

Far from craving these forbidden foods I now have no interest in them whatsoever.
  • AlohaKeAkua
    Options
    I think some people missed the clarification. She doesn't think OA is comical at all. She already explained that.
    I agree w all of you though, food addiction is just like every other addiction on the planet. It sure is tough to handle wo at least the support of friends and family (if you don't go with OA) I personally depend on friends that are going down the same path as I am and conquering our addictions together.
    Don't be so hard on the poster. She didn't mean it that way and I bet she is saying, "why did I choose those words?"... Been there, done that too :tongue:
  • 366to266
    Options
    the idea is thst by restricting them, they become special, like a forbidden fruit. By allowing them (in moderation, and only when hungry), they no longer have that power; rather they become equal in value to an apple, or oatmeal. different strokes for different folks.

Well that may well be the theory, but it did not work for me.

My feeling is the opposite of what you have written. They don't become special, they become pointless. Once you find out you can live without them, you are free... at last!

To me the idea of having a little is as stupid as telling someone that to give up smoking it's better that they allow themselves to have one now and again. Or tell an alcoholic that instead of giving up completely he can have just one glass of whiskey a week, or a heroin addict to shoot up just once a week. Or if you are trying to give up a toxic relationship, to see that person once a week instead of every day! Madness. It just prolongs the agony AND it makes you more susceptible to a binge.
  • CaddieMay
    CaddieMay Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine when once & they were kind of drastic in their aproach they wanted all "whites" cut out completely sugar, white bread, white rice, etc. I couldn't have done that. I don't eat a ton of that stuff but giving anything up completely doesn't work for me . Because as soon as I "can't" have it I want it even if it is something I normally don't eat. It is very religious based too that doesn't bother me but I know alot of people dont like that. But it is whatever works for you go to a meeting & see what you think if you don't like it you don't have to go back but at least you will know.

Not "religious based." It is spiritually based. There is a difference.
  • Craigamears
    Craigamears Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I attended OA about 20 years ago and lost weight. Everybody on this forum uses the power that comes from sharing a common experience to help in their Fitness goals. If it was just an intellectual exercise then what could be simpler. Eat less and be more active. A little pamphlet of calories in common foods and a pair of sneakers and you would be set.

Most of us have found it to be a little more complex then that. Food is a major force in our society. It bombards us every 10 minutes or so on TV. It is in all of our newspapers and magazines. Garish neon signs proclaim its presence on our street corners. Even our clubs and churches have social hours that feature food as the point of the gathering.

How many folks on here recognize their addictions. How many 100 pound wonders who can't eat 1000 calories a day. How about us 300 plus folks who look down on the poor troubled anorexics but don't look at our own behaviors.

I am just sayin'!
  • FluffyDogsRule
    FluffyDogsRule Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    To me the idea of having a little is as stupid as telling someone that to give up smoking it's better that they allow themselves to have one now and again. Or tell an alcoholic that instead of giving up completely he can have just one glass of whiskey a week, or a heroin addict to shoot up just once a week. Or if you are trying to give up a toxic relationship, to see that person once a week instead of every day! Madness. It just prolongs the agony AND it makes you more susceptible to a binge.

I agree completely. While I understand that for some, having NO trigger foods might make them seem forbidden. But if they really trigger a binge...then, they should be forbidden. I'm much more successful NEVER eating even one goldfish cracker, b/c I know it will trigger a binge. Done. Just like if I was an alcoholic....I wouldn't just have "one" drink. No one would ever tell that to an alcoholic.
  • kimimila86
    Options
    I am a lifelong overeater. It's not comical. Food addiction is tougher than most addictions as you can live without booze, drugs, gambling, etc. But not without food.

Moderation can be hard. I have to track my food daily forever to keep from relapsing.

However, I do not participate in overeaters anonymous as I disagree with certain aspects of 12 step programs.

^^^ This, 100%. I also have a compulsive overeating problem, and I don't necessarily agree with the 12 step program. I was a part of a group here on MFP but it was very inactive and I've never been to a meeting. Tracking food helps and not tempting myself is something else that helps. Willpower is not enough.

I would love to have more friends who deal with compulsive overeating, so please add me!
  • Reza151
    Reza151 Posts: 517 Member
    Options

I agree completely. While I understand that for some, having NO trigger foods might make them seem forbidden. But if they really trigger a binge...then, they should be forbidden. I'm much more successful NEVER eating even one goldfish cracker, b/c I know it will trigger a binge. Done. Just like if I was an alcoholic....I wouldn't just have "one" drink. No one would ever tell that to an alcoholic.

It's not just having one and stopping there. Here's an example the author gave in her book: SHe let herself eat WHATEVER she wanted in whatever quantity. So she ate cookie dough and cookies every night for dinner for a week. The next week, she no longer wanted cookies. She felt sick remembering how the sugar had drained her of energy and the sugar crashes and headaches. It's about anchoring your body's reactions to certain foods and remembering them the next time you want to eat it. Because she ate so much cookie dough, it lost it's specialness.

I ate two slices of cheesecake at our housewarming party on sunday night. It was my first time allowing myself cheesecake in at least 7 or 8 months. We still have cheesecake left over, but I find that I don't want any because in my mind, i'm giving it equal power as a healthy food.
  • rlinz123
    Options
    There is an OA group on MFP, just so you know (in case you are interested).

I went to one OA meeting to get more information. It didn't feel like the right thing to me at the time. But I would absolutely pursue it if I felt like I needed support. Support groups can be really helpful!
  • jworb
    jworb Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I have never been in a 12 step program but have learned a lot about them over the years as a grad student.

About the "higher power"
    While AA (which OA is based off of) originated with a strong religious foundation, it has now become much more rooted in individual spirituality than any specific religious belief system. Even Athiests have successfully worked through 12 step groups, with the mindset that a "higher power" can be seen as anything larger than oneself, such as the group itself, the community, etc. It is meant to foster connection with something larger than the self, as it can be very easy to get completely caught up on one's own small world and feel disconnected in the throes of addiction, and that mindset makes it much harder to break free.

About "powerlessness"
    The concept of "powerlessness" is less about having no power individually and more about acknowledging that you have been unable to control your addiction on your own, and you need help (which is, theoretically, why you are there). Addiction is a disease of the brain and is very difficult to just overcome without adequate supports.

I had these concerns about 12 step groups too, but as I've learned more I have developed an appreciation for the model. Clearly, it doesn't work for everyone but is a great support for those who are open to it.

Sorry for the novel, I just find it interesting.
  • AmIhealthyyet
    AmIhealthyyet Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I attended OA about 20 years ago and lost weight. Everybody on this forum uses the power that comes from sharing a common experience to help in their Fitness goals. If it was just an intellectual exercise then what could be simpler. Eat less and be more active. A little pamphlet of calories in common foods and a pair of sneakers and you would be set.

Most of us have found it to be a little more complex then that. Food is a major force in our society. It bombards us every 10 minutes or so on TV. It is in all of our newspapers and magazines. Garish neon signs proclaim its presence on our street corners. Even our clubs and churches have social hours that feature food as the point of the gathering.

How many folks on here recognize their addictions. How many 100 pound wonders who can't eat 1000 calories a day. How about us 300 plus folks who look down on the poor troubled anorexics but don't look at our own behaviors.

Amen to this!!!
    I am just sayin'!
  • AmIhealthyyet
    AmIhealthyyet Posts: 361 Member
    Options

I am just sayin'!

Amen to this!!!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I personally like a lot of the beliefs of the OA I mean accepting you have a problem and getting help is what many of us who have reached obese size proportions need.

My brother is in AA and we talk a lot about how the addictions of food and alcohol have similarities. The only difference is I can't abstain from food so I have to learn to abstain from some triggers.

I dont think this sets me up for failure to think that, HMMMM, looking at that cake I'm feeling sweaty and uncontrolled and when I eat it the flood gates will be open. It gives me a chance to get to the root of my problems. Why am I binging?
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    I have never been in a 12 step program but have learned a lot about them over the years as a grad student.

About the "higher power"
    While AA (which OA is based off of) originated with a strong religious foundation, it has now become much more rooted in individual spirituality than any specific religious belief system. Even Athiests have successfully worked through 12 step groups, with the mindset that a "higher power" can be seen as anything larger than oneself, such as the group itself, the community, etc. It is meant to foster connection with something larger than the self, as it can be very easy to get completely caught up on one's own small world and feel disconnected in the throes of addiction, and that mindset makes it much harder to break free.

About "powerlessness"
    The concept of "powerlessness" is less about having no power individually and more about acknowledging that you have been unable to control your addiction on your own, and you need help (which is, theoretically, why you are there). Addiction is a disease of the brain and is very difficult to just overcome without adequate supports.

I had these concerns about 12 step groups too, but as I've learned more I have developed an appreciation for the model. Clearly, it doesn't work for everyone but is a great support for those who are open to it.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but isnt the principle of these because often times the addict mind is very selfish. They have to admit that there is something more than their need to get the fix of the addiction.
  • ldrosophila
    Options

It's not just having one and stopping there. Here's an example the author gave in her book: SHe let herself eat WHATEVER she wanted in whatever quantity. So she ate cookie dough and cookies every night for dinner for a week. The next week, she no longer wanted cookies. She felt sick remembering how the sugar had drained her of energy and the sugar crashes and headaches. It's about anchoring your body's reactions to certain foods and remembering them the next time you want to eat it. Because she ate so much cookie dough, it lost it's specialness.

I ate two slices of cheesecake at our housewarming party on sunday night. It was my first time allowing myself cheesecake in at least 7 or 8 months. We still have cheesecake left over, but I find that I don't want any because in my mind, i'm giving it equal power as a healthy food.

This may work for some and I agree, but personally in the height of my addiction I could binge until I was sick eating a whole quart of heavy whipping cream and eat that way the next day despite the damage I was doing to my body. I would eat a tub of cookie dough get violently ill throwing up and diarrhea from the raw dough and then eat it on my next binge. Because in the end that rush that pleasure I get rewarded from my brain, for whatever reason, when I eat. It numbs. Alcoholics and drug abusers do the same thing. How many alcoholics drink themselves sick or continue to drink despite having cirrhosis. How many heroine addicts continue to shoot up despite the painful tract marks or shoot up despite almost dying in the ER the night before? Same principle if you have a food addiction.
  • stephgas
    stephgas Posts: 159 Member
    Options

About the "higher power"

About "powerlessness"

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but isnt the principle of these because often times the addict mind is very selfish. They have to admit that there is something more than their need to get the fix of the addiction.

this is a valid point. addicts are very, very selfish and often do not understand that their actions and choices affect others. the admission that they have no power over the addiction and the symbolic turning it over to a higher power is about taking it out of yourself (yourself being the addict). many people use the group itself as the higher power - one admits that they are powerless over his or her addiction and turns it over the the group, who support and love him or her regardless of the addiction.

it is a fascinating subject. i think most people can learn something from the 12 steps; they're a good model for being successful at many things. so many people get turned off by the perceived religious aspect, and it's not so 'religious' as it is 'spiritual'. you can't be physically healthy if you are not mentally healthy; a healthy spiritual life is viewed as imperative for being healthy by AA/12 steps.

i think the point of OA is that these people have tried it on their own; they've tried it with a nutritionist or counselor; they've tried making themselves throw up, or they've researched medical means of losing weight. they are at the end of their rope and need help. that's what 12 step programs are about: walking into a room full of people who have something in common with you - that addiction is probably the ONLY think you all have in common - but you all want to support each other and become healthier, more self-aware people. it's hard enough for an addict to realize and acknowledge their addiction to drugs or alcohol, etc... being able to recognize and acknowledge a food addiction? i think that's even more difficult. like others have said - we can all live healthy, fulfilled lives without drugs, alcohol, cigarettes; we cannot live at all without food.
  • 366to266
    Options
    I think that people who are 20 or 30lb overweight might just have had the weight creep up on them when they were not looking. But folk who are 300 to 400 or ever 500 lb have some kind of addiction going on there, and judging by what they say when interviewed, it refined carbs.
  • Kebby83
    Kebby83 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine when once & they were kind of drastic in their aproach they wanted all "whites" cut out completely sugar, white bread, white rice, etc. I couldn't have done that. I don't eat a ton of that stuff but giving anything up completely doesn't work for me . Because as soon as I "can't" have it I want it even if it is something I normally don't eat. It is very religious based too that doesn't bother me but I know alot of people dont like that. But it is whatever works for you go to a meeting & see what you think if you don't like it you don't have to go back but at least you will know.

Not "religious based." It is spiritually based. There is a difference.

Having been to a lot of NA meetings with my ex husband - it IS religious based. I disagree. The religion is the step program. It is a cult. My ex husband STILL, to this day (even though he was a drug and alcohol counselor, 20 years clean with a relapse) has to consult his higher power (the group) and sponsor as to whether he should pay child support or see his child once in a while - while he is consulting them I have been raising our kid alone. He consulted them about our sex life, for F's sake, which by the way was non existent because he spent an hour at home a night to eat the dinner I cooked and went out with his cult until 1AM lol. I have a million examples of why I think it is a cult. If you want them I can give them but they are a little personal to my situation and I realize not everyone is sucked into it.
    (This is my opinion and I respect that this "cult" has saved millions of lifes and kept them sober from their drug of choice - doesn't change the face that the cult like actions they take are strikingly obvious to anyone with half a brain that isn't involved in the group.)

BTW does anyone think I am bitter? :) ha.