Fitbit weekly stats question

Options
I've noticed on the weekly report my "Calories in vs. out" varies each week.(depending on how much I've eaten) I'm wondering what number I should be shooting for? I try to stay within my 1200 calories each day (but that means my net is sometimes 700-900) I don't do any "exercise" I just try to keep my weekly step goal at 90,000. So about 13,000 steps each day.

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    You only net 700-900 a day? Aren't you starving??? I don't think you'd have enough energy to exercise even if you wanted to with that low of calories.
  • Craigamears
    Craigamears Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    OP - 13,000 steps each day is exercise. That is like over 4 miles of walking isn't it? It definitely puts you way out of the "sedentary" category. I am a "cube ra"t and my non-exercise activity level is light to moderatively active based upon using a METS activity calculator. Sitting doing office work is something like 1.5 x RMR which puts you outside of that "multiply x 1.2 = Sedentary" rate.

You may want to look at your expenditure with a more analytical eye.
  • DonnaCarmody
    DonnaCarmody Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I just started the fitbit a week ago and really am confused also by some of the stuff. I too only eat 1200 calories and do exercise. I think its enough but I am 54 and metabolism has slowed down.
  • Kelleybelley69
    Kelleybelley69 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    With the Fitbit when you set it up its based on your daily work, not how active you are after work, if you sit on your butt most of the day like I do (office job) I said I'm sedentary, although I do workout 6 days a week twice a day on two of those days. My calories daily allowance right now is 1370 and I go over it if Im hungry and when I get my Fitbit adjustment I always try to leave an extra 150- 200 if I can but only if I'm not hungry. I find I need the fuel to be able to keep up with the workouts.

This time around for me I am not looking for instant gratification like I have in the past, I have lost 20+ pounds and at least that much in inches since I started on September 10, 2012. The stats are great to look back at and the badges are great motivators dont you find!!

Good luck everyone just dont starve yourself and really there is no reason to with all the filling fruits and veggies out there that are low calorie, its when we eat pizza and cookies and all the bad things that eat up the calories in no time, thats what makes us hungry, find replacements that work for you. I love food I am just learning now to make better choices it takes time but dont give up on it :)
  • Renee81170
    Renee81170 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I do get that my net shouldn't be that low. But the fitbit is saying I'm not in my "goal zone" and that I need to burn more calories. That's why I printed out the weekly reports and noticed that it varies my "calories in vs. out" I was thinking I would try to hit that number. But maybe I will try focus on raising my net calories on MFP instead. oh and by the way when I said I don't "exercise" I meant I'm not doing insanity :) I just take several slow walks on the treadmill during the day. Can anyone tell me what their typical "calories in vs. out" is on fitbit?
  • bsalvato
    bsalvato Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    The problem is more often than not the fitbit and MFP won't sync up your calories. Or at least a for me. Mine are always slightly off (approx. 100 different right now). I find that I need to stick with one or the other it's too hard to match up both. I find that for tracking calories in MFP works better for me but use my daily burn from my fitbit for calories out. Especially since I diligently wear it and turn on the activity timer when driving to avoid it counting false steps.