why put other people down?

Options
At the supermarket yesterday, I overheard someone talking down to an employee bagging items. The employee, I think, was mentally handicapped but was very nice in my opinion. The dude just put her on blast saying how she shouldn't be working there if she was retarded, etc.... The manager went right over and told the customer to have some compassion. At least, she is making a living and not stealing from anyone to get by. She has been nothing but respectful to him. The guy just said the whole store was stupid for hiring stupid people and that he wasn't going to shop there anymore. Are some people this insecure and unhappy that they have to put other people who are less fortunate down this way?

Replies

• _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    Did you step in and call the guy out for being a jerk? You have no room to talk if you didn't.
  • _Witsy_
    _Witsy_ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Wow...what a douche. I would have totally said something cuz I'm a hot head like that...but I'm glad the manager got involved. I hate places where the "customer is always right" theme gets taken to extremes where it's unhealthy for the employees....this is obviously not the case and I wish someone had told him to not shop there anymore..

Oh but to answer your question...a lot of things like this comes from insecurity and sheer ignorance. It's a shame.
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Because some people need to be put in their place just kidding.

Guy sounds like an ignorant *kitten*.
  • jbutterflye
    jbutterflye Posts: 1,914 Member
    Options
    lack of emotional intelligence and compassion.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    If I had been the manager, I would have said "Good, this store doesn't want customers like you anyway."
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Are some people this insecure and unhappy that they have to put other people who are less fortunate down this way?

Yes.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    lack of emotional intelligence and compassion.

^
    This
  • lizibame
    lizibame Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    “A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person”
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    He could have been having an awful day and lost it, inappropriately.

Or maybe he's just a creep.
  • Vincentsz
    Vincentsz Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    At the supermarket yesterday, I overheard someone talking down to an employee bagging items. The employee, I think, was mentally handicapped but was very nice in my opinion. The dude just put her on blast saying how she shouldn't be working there if she was retarded, etc.... The manager went right over and told the customer to have some compassion. At least, she is making a living and not stealing from anyone to get by. She has been nothing but respectful to him. The guy just said the whole store was stupid for hiring stupid people and that he wasn't going to shop there anymore. Are some people this insecure and unhappy that they have to put other people who are less fortunate down this way?

To answer your question. YES!
    Some people are so f#cking miserable, they feel the need to spread the wealth! Their insecurity can only be fed by degrading others, someone should have punched that *kitten* in the face!
  • mum212
    mum212 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    i have loads to say to that awful disrespectful man and make sure he left with his tail between his legs.
    i look after people with disabilitys as i am a carer
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    I'm all for making fun of people, but in a case like that, I'd have a hard time not punching the guy.

If I was the manager I'd tell him to leave, and don't bother coming back. If he hadn't paid for the groceries yet, I'd ask him to go get his stuff somewhere else.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Something like that wouldn't have gone over well where I live.
    We have multiple businesses in the area that work with the ARC to employ mentally handicapped
    adults. So, it is not unusual to have someone with a handicap bagging my groceries.
    In fact, it's a joy to speak and interact with them. Most people prefer to stand in their line so that they can say hi.
  • _Pseudonymous_
    _Pseudonymous_ Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    As a person who works with people who with people with Mental Retardation this situation boils my blood to a degree that I would smite that man in the most unholy ways. That bagger is a person and demands respect, just because they were born different with a mental handicap, does not mean that they do not deserve to be working out in the world as a normal human being. In fact, I bet that bagger is more human than that *kitten* of a customer! Seriously! If he thinks he can do such a better job then go through the fracking self check out. Oh... I am just too mad to write a proper post right now....

GRR!!!!
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,128 Member
    Options
    Because sometimes it's just fun to be mean to people.
  • Vincentsz
    Vincentsz Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Because sometimes it's just fun to be mean to people.

I agree but not to people incapable of defending themselves! That's just a p&ssy!

If you wanna physically fight or verbally spar, then do it with someone capable of giving you a run for your money!
  • clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    my grocery store employs many people from ARC. i've never seen them abused, but i know i would step in if i saw it.

see, there will always be jerks out there. people who dont care about others. people who are having a bad day and feel its ok to take it out on someone they deem less than. there is no getting around the fact that these people exist.

there is no sense asking why these people exist, they just do. they're jerks, they have every right to live in the world as the rest of us.

the only thing you can do is stand between evil and the innocent. and these jerks can be classified as the evil. not everyone is willing to stand up to jerks. not everyone has that kind of back bone, or maybe just dont want to get involved. me, i live for that kind of confrontation. but then i'm a hot head.
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    "This person may have a learning disability, however, you, sir, are the one with a monopoly on stupidity in this store."
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    ive never encountered anything like that
  • DarkAngel262
    DarkAngel262 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Did you step in and call the guy out for being a jerk? You have no room to talk if you didn't.

This. I've overheard things like this SO many times. Typically at a busy store with either someone handicapped or very young behind the register. I will defend them in a heartbeat. I'll either say something directly to them about how uncool it is to be rude like that or I'll be passive aggressive and just shout out to the person being demeaned something like 'Don't worry about me, I'm not in some huge rush or going to scream at you unnecessarily when I get up there.'

Ugh, can't stand people like that!