Cardio vs Strength Training Question...

Options
So don't worry I know you should do both to help tone aswel so you don't go all flabby BUT what's the recommended ratio for this??

50% Cardio 50%Strength Training??

20% strength 60% Cardio???

I am currently doing the 30Day Shred, I know this helps increase muscle a bit and so the scales may not move much but if I add a workout on elliptical trainer a few times a week will this help??

I should add that I am 230lbs and extremely unfit, so yea.. lol nothing that will put into cardiac arrest please

Replies

• HannahsBestLife
    HannahsBestLife Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Bump :cry:

Can anyone help?
  • Luvmyboxerboy
    Luvmyboxerboy Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'm no help but curious to see the answer! Good question!
  • farsteve
    farsteve Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    How would you define your ratios? 50% of the time you spend working out? 50% of the calories you expend? 50% of the weight of the sweat you generate measured in US units (pounds and ounces)?

Let's go with time spent working out. I split out about 50-50 each way. Based on hours spent working out, I would say 50-60% of my time is lifting and 40-50% is spent doing cardio. This is based on working out 6 days a week and approximately 60 minutes per session. 2 cardio sessions per week are martial arts training and one session is a 60 minute group fitness class.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what your goals are. I find it most beneficial to set fitness goals that are completely independent of my weight loss goals....if you do that, then you will be able to answer your own question. Your diet has a weight loss deficit built in...no need to exercise for weight loss...exercise for fitness and to meet your fitness goals.

If your goals are general heart health...walking 30-45 minutes 3-5 times per week is sufficient. If your goal is to run a 5K, 10K, or marathon then you will need to be spending a great deal of time running and general cardio. If your fitness goals are to be more fit and generally stronger, just get 30 minutes of aerobic and/or recovery zone cardio in 5-6 days per week and 3 days of strength training in for 30-45 minutes per session. If your goal is to body build, do very little cardio and big time emphasis on the weight room...splits...isolation, etc.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    30 day shred is cardio.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what your goals are. I find it most beneficial to set fitness goals that are completely independent of my weight loss goals....if you do that, then you will be able to answer your own question. Your diet has a weight loss deficit built in...no need to exercise for weight loss...exercise for fitness and to meet your fitness goals.

If your goals are general heart health...walking 30-45 minutes 3-5 times per week is sufficient. If your goal is to run a 5K, 10K, or marathon then you will need to be spending a great deal of time running and general cardio. If your fitness goals are to be more fit and generally stronger, just get 30 minutes of aerobic and/or recovery zone cardio in 5-6 days per week and 3 days of strength training in for 30-45 minutes per week. If your goal is to body build, do very little cardio and big time emphasis on the weight room...splits...isolation, etc.

I would agree with this..totally dependent on what your goals are..

so, what are your goals?
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Actually, I wouldn't add more cardio to the 30 day shred, that's really more what that program is than strength training. There's not really a ratio, you should do both for health and fitness. Find something you like and stick to it. 30 Day shred is a decent place to start (I've never done it, but I've done the shred it with weights), but it won't add muscle (which is hard at a deficit anyway, but you can do if you're new to lifting), and you'll gain a little strength, but mostly just muscular endurance. After 30DS, I'd definitely try to advance to some heavier weight and free weights.
  • PrettyandPolished
    PrettyandPolished Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    My goal is to lose weight and tone so I personally spend about 70% of my time with Cardio and 30% of my time with strength training. I want to lose more first, once I lose another 25 lbs I will start to tone more. That is just me and my goals. So you need to figure out what your goals are and set your ratios accordingly.
  • cpallenjr
    cpallenjr Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Flash back to November - weighing almost 230 lbs, with a sedentary desk job, diagnosed with COPD from 30 years of smoking. I was weak, stiff, and in very poor cardiovascular and respiratory condition. Some vacation photos pushed me over the edge. I had dieted before but failed because I was trying to lose weight strictly by controlling my calorie intake. This time I wanted to lose weight AND become more fit and started walking in conjunction with my diet. I learned that the colories burned walking made dieting easier because if I ate too much instead of getting discouraged I could always make up for it by walking more instead of further starving myself. Fast forward 3 months and I am walking an average of 5 miles/day have lost 27 lbs and am in MUCH better cv and resp condition. I can't run due to bad knee so I bought a rowing machine which is a cardiovascular workout using the whole body; but in reality I am now also improving my strength and flexibilty at the same time. I don't worry about specific strength training one bit at this point. The rower (and certainly an eliptical trainer) helps to burn calories at a much higher rate than just walking so I have cut back to 3 miles/day and 20 mins on the rower. Maybe when I reach my goal weight of 185 lbs I will be ready to add some weight lifting and calesthenics. This 'phased approach' so-to-speak has yielded sufficiently rapid progress without constantly struggling against excess weight and generally poor physical condition. I don't have any deadlines, I'm not burned out and haven't pulled any muscles, torn cartilege, or otherwise been injured so IMHO this approach has been rewarding and successful FOR ME. Might work for the OP as well!
  • DostThouEven
    Options
    100% strength. Cardio optional. I mean, unless you need to increase cardio endurance and\or care about general cardio health (which can be maintained with very little cardio). Strength training is all that is required for "looking better naked"
  • HannahsBestLife
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies :bigsmile:

My goals are fat loss and fitness increase, I have low energy levels and really want that to change.

I love the idea to have my fitness goals completely different to my weight loss ones, I think I will try that!!!

I really want to drop about 30lbs first to take some pressure off my joints then I want to start running, I currently use the elliptical because of the no impact factor.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies :bigsmile:

My goals are fat loss and fitness increase, I have low energy levels and really want that to change.

I love the idea to have my fitness goals completely different to my weight loss ones, I think I will try that!!!

I really want to drop about 30lbs first to take some pressure off my joints then I want to start running, I currently use the elliptical because of the no impact factor.

I would say 3x a week do strength training, and maybe a couple times a week do some cardio. Cardio isn't necessary for fat loss, but it is good for heart health. I did Zumba for my cardio just because if i'm going to do it, i might as well have a ton of fun while doing it.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Do what you like best. Then you will stick with it and establish the exercise habit. People who try to race out of the box right away often find that exercise is too hard and unpleasant, and they quit. Yes, it is hard at the beginning. So, go easy and do what you like. You can ramp up later once you have the exercise bug.
    It won't do you any good to do 50 percent weight lifting and 50 percent running if you stop after three months.
  • Jrredman87
    Options
    75% strength and 25% cardio. So if you have an hour to work out 45 min weights and 15 min jog/HITT. Start with the weights and end with cardio. Repeat 4-5 days a week. Keep to your macro totals. Stick to this and you will thank me later!
  • HannahsBestLife
    Options
    75% strength and 25% cardio. So if you have an hour to work out 45 min weights and 15 min jog/HITT. Start with the weights and end with cardio. Repeat 4-5 days a week. Keep to your macro totals. Stick to this and you will thank me later!

Hmm ok, i'm on 1210 cals a day and eat back some of my exercise calories, not sure if it right or not, how do I work out my macro's? I remember trying before but got confused lol
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options

Great advice. If you find you're not losing weight you may need to up your calories.. 1200 kcal/day is not a lot if you're intensely working out 4-5 times a week.
  • Jrredman87
    Options

Hmm ok, i'm on 1210 cals a day and eat back some of my exercise calories, not sure if it right or not, how do I work out my macro's? I remember trying before but got confused lol

Okay, your macros consist of carbs, fats, and proteins. Everyone's marcos are computed differently depending on their body type and goals. Low carb, high protein and fats work for my body. Once you understand what your totals are for each one you need to meet them everyday. My totals are 160 carbs, 94 fat, and 160 protein. I hit around those numbers everyday. Cardio helps you with your total calories. If you burn 200 calories will running it allows you to eat an additional 200 calories for that day as long as you dont exceed that number. For example If i dont do any cardio for the day I can eat 1900 calories and still lose weight. If i do my cardio I can eat 2100 calories and still lose that same amount of weight, but can eat more food! Thats a win, win.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    If your goal is just fat loss, then I'd say as much strength as your body can taken (probably 3x heavy lifting sessions a week), then on the other days, as much cardio as you've got time for.

Obviously, if you're looking to be able to run for hours on end, probably want to focus on cardio.
    While if you want to be able to act as a car jack, go more exclusively for weights.
  • Cognito1025
    Cognito1025 Posts: 323 Member
    Options

Great advice. If you find you're not losing weight you may need to up your calories.. 1200 kcal/day is not a lot if you're intensely working out 4-5 times a week.

This and this....and leave the little pink weights alone. Lift heavy, compound movements like barbell squats. deadlifts, etc.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options

I think it all depends on the person. For me I know that if I don't do my cardio first -- 30 minutes -- then I'm not going to do it after I do my 60-70 minutes of weights. By time I'm done lifting I'm spent and I just don't even want to think about hitting a machine to do some cardio. I do my cardio before and even though it's hard cardio I'm not too tired to lift heavy.

It honestly comes down to the person and what works for them. I've tried to do cardio after my weights and all I want to do is go home when I'm done lifting. I know that my measly 30 min. of cardio before is just my warm up and I'm not going to leave until I'm done with my hard lifting session.