HONEY,....Good or Bad?

Options

Replies

• Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    additionally, if you eat local honey, your body may be better protected against seasonal allergies.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/266247-benefits-of-local-raw-honey/

I find this interesting ... I have wicked allergies, going to look into this.
  • theskinnyonme
    theskinnyonme Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lq8v57IHdT1qeqvtjo1_500.gif

MMMMmmm Honey!
  • jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Local organic honey for seasonal allergies! add a little ground cinnamon and put it on a piece of whole wheat toast, or a buckwheat pancake..OMG...YUM!
  • jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Local organic honey for seasonal allergies! add a little ground cinnamon and put it on a piece of whole wheat toast, or a buckwheat pancake..OMG...YUM!
    I also use truvia when I need a sweetner! But rarely use that!
  • MarciRenee74
    MarciRenee74 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Neither splenda, nor honey, nor cane sugar are "bad" or "iffy".

^^^ Not true actually. Fake sugar (whether it says it was derived from natural or not) are not good for you - do some goolging and read about how bad splenda is for you. Anything that is processed away from its natural state is not as good for you as what you can find naturally. Less processing/less refined = better.

So sugar in the raw and local raw honey (not pasteurized) are better for you than white processed cane sugar and far better than any fake sugar you can find. In addition, local raw honey has tons of prebiotics in it and can help bolster your immune system to your local allergies.
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    It's neither good nor bad...it's just sugar. Too much sugar can be bad, but sugar in and of itself isn't evil. From a calorie standpoint, it's fairly empty (i.e. pretty much void of any nutritional value)...but honey is delicious.

^ I agree with this

also dont give it to babies
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Honey is a good alternative to refined sugar, from a clean eating standpoint. Although for weight loss purposes, it's best to cut back on sugars as much as possible. It still contains a good amount of fructose. Honey actually has a slight amount more calories than table sugar, but is the healthier option (in my opinion). Agave is another option for a sweetener.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Bees are cute and honey is yummy!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    It's neither good nor bad...it's just sugar. Too much sugar can be bad, but sugar in and of itself isn't evil. From a calorie standpoint, it's fairly empty (i.e. pretty much void of any nutritional value)...but honey is delicious.

^ I agree with this

also dont give it to babies

Yes good reminder do not give honey to children under two years of age honey has minute amounts of the botulism bacteria.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Honey is natural, so if you are trying to "eat clean" it is a good source of carbs. If you're concerned about the purity of the honey you're consuming, you can do some Internet reconnaissance to find out how much getting your own apiary would cost; the quality of your home grown honey would probably not degenerate over time, given the right circumstances.
  • mattagascar
    mattagascar Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    After doing some reconnaissance of an apiary and talking to the keeper, I have come to the conclusion that honey is best in raw form before it can degenerate through processing. Also, it is great for allergies if you get it from a local source.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Honey is good. All good. Worth the cals. Good for colds, coughs, throat problems. (just not good for kids under 1 according to recent warnings.)
  • dford5
    dford5 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    After doing some reconnaissance of an apiary and talking to the keeper, I have come to the conclusion that honey is best in raw form before it can degenerate through processing. Also, it is great for allergies if you get it from a local source.

I was just about to post that. :smile: I was struggling with allergies for months and found out that local honey can help with that. I went to a small, local grocer and got some honey. Took a teaspoon of honey a day for a week, and I was better! Best medicine ever. :wink:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    ^^ oh yeah and he's right, good for allergies anecdotal evidence is enough for me especially when I'm the anecdotal person. It does have to be local honey and if you don't find that at your regular market you can find it at your local health food store or farmers market.
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    you stopped having sugar in your tea but you have honey.......

do you realize honey is sugar too? so youve never stopped putting sugar in your tea/

honey, table sugar, EVEN fruit sugar, EVEN agave is ALL SUGAR and your body breaks all of them down AS sugar. so just cut it all out of your diet. do research!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Honey is good. For one, its a sugar substitute and even though sugar is sugar (wether from fruits, candy, sugar sugar or from honey) I still like to get more bang for my buck.

Honey has many health benefits. One of the big ones for me (and the only one that I remember right now) is that if you buy local honey, it help you build immunity to allergies.

Buy honey and eat some. It is freakin tasty!!! May I suggest buying some naan and soaking it in some milk and honey and then eating it :)
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Local, Raw Honey is very good for you in moderation.

We have a local guy here Mountain Man Honey. It is the best I have ever had in my life.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

do you realize honey is sugar too? so youve never stopped putting sugar in your tea/

honey, table sugar, EVEN fruit sugar, EVEN agave is ALL SUGAR and your body breaks all of them down AS sugar. so just cut it all out of your diet. do research!

Obviously, it's not causing her any adverse effects so why should she?
  • Ryanmariem
    Ryanmariem Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I stopped having Sugar in my Tea & Coffee ages ago, but now use Splenda or Clear Honey.
    I know Splenda is a bit "iffy" as it's an artificial sweetener - but i only have that once a day with my morning Coffee.
    On the other hand, i have 1 teaspoon of Honey with my Fruit Teas (on average, 4/5 times a day).
    What's the deal with Honey,...is it Good or Bad?

GOOGLE it!!!!! but to make it easy... go here::::::::::::::::::::::: http://realfoodforlife.com/health-benefits-of-honey/

Just good.. just good...

That is a good website I came across a few years ago. Real 100% Pure Honey is very good for you, full of B vitamins, it is also processed dif. than reg. sugar, meaning it is slower to process then reg. table sugar so it won't spike your glucose levels. But as w/everything temperence is key, stick w/ 1tbs or less per serving.

All artificial sweetners are bad for you, they are chemically made some of it from the same stuff we put the lable poison on in our cabinets....lots of new research finding out how bad they are... personally I think they should be banned.... but where is the $$ in that? Just because a small amount won't make you sick the FDA approves it, but does not take into consideration the toxic build up and large amount being consumed... if you start reading labels it can get scary!

Stevia is okay and is made from a natural plant, but way sweeter than reg sugar and if you have too much has a bitter taste. Liquid stevia is the best, but not the ones w/flavors have to research what it is they adding to make the flavor. For packets I like Stevia in the Raw, the same company that makes Sugar in the Raw... taste and price wise not bad.

So for natural sweetners Honey and Stevia are the best choices.... I just love Honey so many health benefits...but do have to be careful not to go overboard...lol
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Lolz!! Orthorexic much??