Is it possible to shed pounds with diet alone?

Options
So I'm looking to shed about 30 - 45 pounds. Big goal, I know. So I'm on a 1200 calorie diet. I'm just wondering if it's possible to lose the weight I want without working out, or is it possible with dieting? I'm asking not coming from a "lazy" place, because I do intend to work out, but rather because I know some days I just don't feel like working out. Don't we all have those days? I feel so guilty and like my efforts of dieting are going to waste without working out!

Replies

• crewealexfan
    crewealexfan Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    yes, weight loss is something like 70-80% with the remainder made up with working out
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Yes, you will lose weight from diet alone. However, without proper strength training, you'll lose lean body mass/muscle along with fat. This is what I'm battling now. I'm slim and small, but I still have flab and a pooch, and I'm trying really hard to fix it. And, if you do some cardio, you get benefits for your heart, lungs and joints, and you'll be able to eat a bit more. You don't have to work out 6 days a week for 2 hours at a time. Try to make it a habit. Set aside a consistent time 3 days a week for 30 minutes, then add another day in as you feel able. You just have to find the place to put it in your life. And, yes, I have days when I don't feel like working out, but if I have a workout scheduled, and I don't have a good reason to skip other than not feeling like it, I do it anyway. It may be lighter or with less enthusiasm, but I do it to keep to my routine and because it's good for me.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Totally. Most people here eat their exercise calories back so exercise becomes about fitness, not weight loss.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    80% diet, 20% working out. You can and will lose weight on a calorie deficient, no matter how you achieve it. I lose my first 30 just with diet. I believe you have to get one aspect under control before you can add in something else. Going full hog on the beginning just burns you out and makes you quit.

Just make sure your MFP settings are set to lose 1lb a week - you don't have much to lose, and 2lbs/week will put you at too much of a deficient and you'll retain the weight...
  • mrkwns24
    Options
    Yes, you will lose weight from diet alone. However, without proper strength training, you'll lose lean body mass/muscle along with fat. This is what I'm battling now. I'm slim and small, but I still have flab and a pooch, and I'm trying really hard to fix it. Anf, if you do some cardio, you get benefits for your heart, lungs and joints, and you'll be able to eat a bit more. You don't have to work out 6 days a week for 2 hours at a time. Try to make it a habit. Set aside a consistent time 3 days a week for 30 minutes, then add another day in as you feel able. You just have to find the place to put it in your life. And, yes, I have days when I don't feel like working out, but if I have a workout scheduled, and I don't have a good reason to skip other than not feeling like it, I do it anyway. It may be lighter or with less enthusiasm, but I do it to keep to my routine and because it's good for me.

Yup, what she said. 30 minutes seems to be the magic number for amount of time you should work out. Here's an article about something similar to this: http://www.examiner.com/article/you-can-lose-weight-through-dieting-alone-new-study-suggests
  • hnlamb27
    Options
    Wow! Such quick replies! Thanks, guys. I do work out, but usually at night. I've got a very big goal for myself. I played a year of college softball and came home, got married, and now I want to play again. I've got to shed these pounds before I can even think about playing another season. So I do intend on workout out, I was just wondering how well dieting alone produces results. :) Thanks so much! I'm doing mainly ab workouts since that's my waist/belly is my area of weight gain.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Doing mainly ab workouts won't help you lose belly weight any faster. You cannot spot reduce. You have to work on fat loss which is an all over body process. Your body, mostly determined by genetics. picks where the weight comes off when and in what order. My belly has defintely been the last to go. No amount of targeted ab work will change that. Stick to a full body focused workout, and your abs will get hit. Look at some big compound lifts with a bar like squats and deadlifts and bench press, and your core will engage, you'll feel amazing, and you"ll retain muscle. Throw in some cardio, and you're all set.
  • hnlamb27
    Options
    Well, that's a little discouraging to hear... I don't want to lose weight anywhere else. My legs and arms are toned... Just my middle section.
  • Ryanmariem
    Ryanmariem Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Doing mainly ab workouts won't help you lose belly weight any faster. You cannot spot reduce. You have to work on fat loss which is an all over body process. Your body, mostly determined by genetics. picks where the weight comes off when and in what order. My belly has defintely been the last to go. No amount of targeted ab work will change that. Stick to a full body focused workout, and your abs will get hit. Look at some big compound lifts with a bar like squats and deadlifts and bench press, and your core will engage, you'll feel amazing, and you"ll retain muscle. Throw in some cardio, and you're all set.

I agree with this totally, and would also like to add... bellyfat comes from sugar & stress... get your glucose levels in order and elimate the unnessecary sugar and your stomache will go down. Also getting your stress in order is a good idea, excercise is great for that, but doing something like yoga or tai chi are great stress reducers and overall excercises. To learn more about blood sugar check out "The Blood Sugar Solution" by Dr. Mark Hyman, he also has a website w/the same title.

Back in 2007 I drastically reduced the sugar and my stomache went way down... the last two years have been crazy and well all my hard work went out the door... and now I am getting back on track w/my overall health issues, diet and excercise being on top of that list this year.

Good luck to you!
  • one15ts
    Options
    do what works for you. you can definitely lose weight on diet alone. at one point, i got close to my goal weight, but I felt so unattractive. so that was disheartening for me, and i gained it all back. when i decided to lose the weight again and this time incorporated cardio and weight lifting, i found out that i look a lot better even losing a quarter of the way towards goal weight. i don't exercise or eat right religiously, but i know i definitely look and feel better doing both.
  • Mommy4812
    Mommy4812 Posts: 649 Member
    Options

This lady knows what she is talking about :smile:
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options

I agree with this totally, and would also like to add... bellyfat comes from sugar & stress... get your glucose levels in order and elimate the unnessecary sugar and your stomache will go down. Also getting your stress in order is a good idea, excercise is great for that, but doing something like yoga or tai chi are great stress reducers and overall excercises. To learn more about blood sugar check out "The Blood Sugar Solution" by Dr. Mark Hyman, he also has a website w/the same title.

Back in 2007 I drastically reduced the sugar and my stomache went way down... the last two years have been crazy and well all my hard work went out the door... and now I am getting back on track w/my overall health issues, diet and excercise being on top of that list this year.

Good luck to you!

No - belly fat comes from fat, which comes from excess calories.

Your body (genetics) decides where to store the fat, and where to lose it first.

Cutting down on refined sugar and stress are not bad goals, but if you keep eating the same number of total calories, your weight will stay the same (or increase at the same rate). Now, of course, cutting out sugary drinks, cakes etc is a good way to start cutting your calorie intake. But if you are still eating too many calories, it isn't going to be a magic solution.