WTF Goverment.......

Options

Replies

• shocktastic
    shocktastic Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    This happened to me while I was in college about 16 years ago..They kept selling my loans and I would go thru the same thing you did..Hyperventilating and all..Trust me they will find there way back to you..If they just sold it it takes about 3 weeks to get into the new system and the Customer Support for Sallie Mae is not the greatest..I bet if you call back tomorrow you will possibly get someone who knows what they are talking about and may find your loan!

If not give it a few weeks and TADA it will be there..I promise!! I use to get that initial oh how lucky would I be if they just lost it and I don't have to pay back $50,000..but hell no they always find it..You won't be charged any late fees and you will get a letter soon!

Hope that eases your mind a little! Good luck with paying them back!
  • lorib75
    lorib75 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I found out Direct Loans had sold my loan to Mohela. I got an email from Mohela regarding my interest paid so I could print it out for my taxes. No word at all from Direct Loans... yah, they suck!
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Run a credit check on yourself to find out who you owe money to.

don't you get docked points for that though?

It's what's called as a "soft hit" to your credit. Not really a big deal.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Yup. They sold my loans off to Mohela who increased my monthly rates AND interest. And there's nothing I could do about it. And they didn't let me know they had moved my loans. So the account I had tied to the loans -- the money wasn't being taken out. Well it's not an account I normally use. I just throw some money in there every so often and never look at it otherwise. So when they bought out my loan to Mohela, I ended up not paying for two months before I caught it. Yeah, that sucked. I had to pay 2 months back loan stuff, late fees, etc to get caught up.

F'n nightmare. I hate them.

I actually asked about my interest rate going up and my payments changing... I was TOLD that nothing would change. So hopefully I don't end up going through the mess you encountered when someone decides to find my loan. Did you try maintaining the rates you had before the switch by calling customer service, etc.?
  • lorib75
    lorib75 Posts: 490 Member
    Options

NO, you can get a free credit report once per year with no penalties!
  • Rambo529
    Rambo529 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    They sold mine without notifying me as well about 6 months ago. I went to double check something online and saw a $0 balance and was confused. so I did like you and called and they told me where they went. The only issue I had with it, was I was told my automatic payment (which I was set up for) didn't transfer. So I filled out the paperwork again. Well, I looked at it and it took out 2 payments. So I called and asked wtf happened and they said I authorized it AND it carried over (not matching with the other guy, thanks people) and was then told to cancel the one form and it'll only take 1. I did that. Next month, no payment came out. Fan-freaking-tastic. (I was not charged a late fee, nor did it go on my credit report, especially after I had a nice chat with them) Finally I got things taken care of so now I don't have to worry about it anymore, but it was a mess for a few months there.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options

Only if you're doing it more than once every 6 months or so. You are "allowed" to check on your credit score for free at least once a year with not "dings" for the look.
  • Rum_Runner
    Rum_Runner Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Why are you freaking out.... keep records that you tried to notify someone and go on with your day. If/when this loan shows up - then pay it. If there are late fees promptly call and explain that you should not be charged said late fees b/c you tried to make a payment and was notfied your loan had been sold. Not your problem. If it hits your credit - fax a copy of your notes and efforts to pay the loan ontime and they will have to fix it.

Take that money and go shopping!! Problem solved!!

Unfortunately, it doesn't work like that. You'd think it would, but it doesn't.

wow no sense of humor and yes...it does work like that. My first student loan was sold..... couldn't find it for 3yrs..... I kept record of me calling and they removed all late fees when they finally found me (I moved about a year after the loan was sold). There was no ding to my credit and I went on paying it. I didn't owe any back payments. If you keep good records of your efforts then they will make the corrections.

But in the meantime there is no point in getting so worked up about the fact that your loan is out there. They will get it straight and it will find you again. So stop freaking about something you have little to no control over and go on with dealing with the other financial aspects.
  • SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options
    Why are you freaking out.... keep records that you tried to notify someone and go on with your day. If/when this loan shows up - then pay it. If there are late fees promptly call and explain that you should not be charged said late fees b/c you tried to make a payment and was notfied your loan had been sold. Not your problem. If it hits your credit - fax a copy of your notes and efforts to pay the loan ontime and they will have to fix it.

Not your problem? Go shopping? Are you freakin' kidding me?

Don't listen to this. Stay on top of it because trying to clean up your credit after something like this is a nightmare.
  • corn63
    Options
    Yup. They sold my loans off to Mohela who increased my monthly rates AND interest. And there's nothing I could do about it. And they didn't let me know they had moved my loans. So the account I had tied to the loans -- the money wasn't being taken out. Well it's not an account I normally use. I just throw some money in there every so often and never look at it otherwise. So when they bought out my loan to Mohela, I ended up not paying for two months before I caught it. Yeah, that sucked. I had to pay 2 months back loan stuff, late fees, etc to get caught up.

I actually asked about my interest rate going up and my payments changing... I was TOLD that nothing would change. So hopefully I don't end up going through the mess you encountered when someone decides to find my loan. Did you try maintaining the rates you had before the switch by calling customer service, etc.?

Yup. Got told there was nothing that could be done. So they're getting more money out of me in the long run. 2$ per month in payment and .25% over the life of the loan.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options

Here I thought this was going to be something about "how great Canada is"
  • i_dont_want_2_be_fat_anymore
    Options
    It is very common for large loans to be sold to different lenders. It is the norm for mortgages -- you may get a mortgage through one company and then they immediately sell it to another.

Make your payments as scheduled and it will be fine. Lenders do this all the time. You will be notified shortly that your loan was sold, and the new servicer will send you new payment information.

This. My mortgage has been sold 3 times in the last 10 years. When they want their money, they'll know how to get in touch.
  • bcf7683
    Options
    It is very common for large loans to be sold to different lenders. It is the norm for mortgages -- you may get a mortgage through one company and then they immediately sell it to another.

Make your payments as scheduled and it will be fine. Lenders do this all the time. You will be notified shortly that your loan was sold, and the new servicer will send you new payment information.

Can't make any payments until they "locate" my loan. Irritating.

But I'm glad (not "happy" glad, more "relieved" glad) to see that I'm not the only one who's getting the spiky end of the stick from the good 'ol US of A.
  • Rum_Runner
    Rum_Runner Posts: 617 Member
    Options

Not your problem? Go shopping? Are you freakin' kidding me?

Don't listen to this. Stay on top of it because trying to clean up your credit after something like this is a nightmare.

Damn people :grumble:

Again - KEEP RECORDS OF EVERYTHING!!! Did no one read that part?? If its out in cyber space nothing can be done about it right this moment. It will eventually turn up and the clean kept records will ensure the loan provider and/or the credit bureau does not penalize for any potential late fees or incured interest.

Welcome to the government.... don't freak out about something you have little control over. Do what you can to keep you're *kitten* straight.
  • bcf7683
    Options

Yup. Got told there was nothing that could be done. So they're getting more money out of me in the long run. 2$ per month in payment and .25% over the life of the loan.

Wow. :noway:
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Credit Bureaus are a sham also. We are trying to buy a house and the only thing I have stopping me is a $500 collection to a bank. I didn't even know this existed until I tried to open a bank account and they wouldn't let me. I called the bank and since it was from 2006, I was 18, it had been written off as a loss. They have no record of ME or anything I owed. They have no info the the $500 bill. I call the collection agency and they can't find me by SSN or DOB. No record of me. They did find me by name and explained that someone else's SSN number is tied to that collection. The only thing that I share with the other person on that collection is a former address of a place I lived for 3 months. Of course they ask ME to pay it.

So now I am stuck, the credit company won't remove it, the bank has written it off and it is stuck on my report unless I pay it. In the meantime, can't open a checking account OR get our home loan. :explode:
  • Adw7677
    Adw7677 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Not only does the Government sell your loans, but Sallie Mae will probably sell it, and it'll probably get sold 2-3 more times before you pay it off. Lenders make more money off selling loans than they make off what you pay them.

And $30,000 isn't much. It seems like a lot to you, but most people I know have over $50k in loans and haven't even graduated yet. Just set aside the money for when your payment is due. The notice is probably in the mail. It was probably just bad timing, that it got sold right at the time your payment was due, so now you have to wait a few days for the transfer to complete.
  • corn63
    Options

Wow. :noway:

Yup. Woo student loan repayment!! :drinker:
  • bcf7683
    Options

Buy a house, under 3% interest, buy a car, under 1%, try and get your smarts on... 6.75%

I know, right? :grumble:
  • sondrawolfe
    sondrawolfe Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Mine has been sold twice. Both times took a month or two to get notice from new lender. Did not get late fee or penalty either time. As someone else already said, run a credit check. www.creditkarma.com and www.creditsesame.com are both great free sites to keep track of credit numbers and accounts. https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp Is the free site to get all of your credit reports, but the new lender may not be listed yet.