Always hungry

Options
Why is it that when I have a great workout at lunch I am always starving the remainder of the day? What are some foods that are filling? I drink tons of water so that is not the issue. Thanks

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I don't know. I'm always hungry after I lift weights. But I usually workout in the evening so I can enjoy a nice snack. Maybe you could close your workout with a quick protein shake.
  • StefPayne
    StefPayne Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Raw fruits and veggies work for me:-)
  • muayqis
    Options
    Getting a good chunk of protein helps.
    Omlettes and veggies,
    Fish and veggies,
    Milk and anything.
    Nuts and veggies.

I find if i have a whey protien shake after training i get hungry in a couple of hours.
    If i have a casein shake with the same kcals i'll be less hungry.
    Slow digestion/absorption vs fast absorption.

A good balance would probably be a whey shake to help with recovery, then a smaller meal of protien and veggies.

YMMV, but that seems to be my experience.
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    well a great workout means you used lots of fuel so its natural for your body to be hungry. Protein is the best food to help keep you full.
  • Feliciagio
    Options
    As crazy as it sounds, I suggest a teaspoon of Metamucil mixed with 8oz of water. Not only will it fill you up but the psyllium fiber is great for your cholestrol. I swear by it!
  • skiersteve12345
    skiersteve12345 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Fiber!! its so simple.. for dinner i just had 270grams of lean pork, 100g peas and 400g broccoli and i feel more than satisfied and before eating i was starving, i also have a crazy appetite, but yea just eat loads more fiber ..
  • mcqueenms
    Options
    UsedToBeHusky: Will consider the protein shakes, thanks. FANTASTIC job on the weight loss!!!
  • tisha_rae
    tisha_rae Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Up your fiber & protein.
  • MissFitee
    MissFitee Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I always have a protein shake right away at the gym after my workout. Then I go home and eat something filling and I don't really get hungry again.

As for filling food I would say a big load of skinless chickenbreast with a more heavy sallad(cabbage carrot or something similar)

Lean beef is even more filling imo

If I was worried about getting hungry I'd stay off pancakes(even the protein type) or anything like milk and cereal or acidic fruits or yoghurt
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    Fiber, protein, good fats, and water will all keep you feeling satisfied for longer
  • Alyssah09
    Alyssah09 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I am interested in this also, I am always hungry and seam to want to eat an hour or two after I eat lunch or dinner! Its like I am never satisfied! I need to do something to keep myself full. Drinking water helps A LOT! But it fills me up, but my tummy still growls.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    UsedToBeHusky: Will consider the protein shakes, thanks. FANTASTIC job on the weight loss!!!

Oh thank you. But my ticker isn't accurate at the moment. I've gained some recently.
  • mcqueenms
    Options

Oh thank you. But my ticker isn't accurate at the moment. I've gained some recently.

Well at least you know you can lose it because you've already done it once before. Don't give up and keep working at it!
  • tripful
    Options
    In my experience, when I was hungry all the time, I was eating too many carbs and sugars and not enough complex fibrous carbs and not enough fat. And in general the quality of the food I was eating was not high enough. I remedied mostly all of that by dropping out the fattening carbohydrate ("fake food" of cereals, "whole" wheat, oats, all corn-derivative drink and solids and alcohol) to leave only delicious green leafy vegetables, making carb intake 5-10%, increased fat to 70+%, mostly healthy high quality saturated fat and mono-unsaturated (olive oil, red palm oil, coconut oil, butter, nuts) and then protein to 15% or so, from local/free-range/grass feed beef, poultry, pork and high quality fatty fish.

Check out this link, SlimIsSimple.org, and I have a feeling the following would be time well invested for you! =)

TheSmarterScienceOfSlim.com
    Sugar - The Bitter Truth by Dr. Robert Lustig (YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM
    TheLivinLowCarbShow.com with Jimmy Moore
    Dr. Peter Attia and EatingAcademy.com
    YouTube Channel "The Diet Doctor" with Andreas Eenfeldt
    Peter Attia's series on JumpstartMD on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIEDYbGJsmQ)
    Gary Taubes series on JumpstarMD on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEWc5fL04o0)
    NuSI.org

Let us know what you think! =)