Under my goal on everything but Sugar.

Options
gorefan82
gorefan82 Posts: 44 Member
It seems that everyday I'm doing really well staying under my calorie, fat, carbs etc. goals but I keep going over on sugar. This seems very difficult to me to get under the sugar goal.
How much will this affect my overall goal of losing weight?
Are there any tips or suggestions to avoid going over on sugar?
This is the only thing I'm struggling with as of right now!

Replies

• Mirlyn
    Mirlyn Posts: 256
    Options
    I've heard some say that you can disregard the natural sugar in raw fruits. Don't know how true it is but it's a nice thought :).
  • gorefan82
    Options
    Yeah, that would be nice! I usually eat 1-2 bananas a day and there is about 10 grams of sugar in one banana.
    It's tough!
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    If the majority of your sugar comes from fruits and veggies, then don't worry about it. It's the processed/added sugar in foods (e.g. high fructose corn syrup) that you need to worry about because it's not natural and your body doesn't process it in the same way.
  • MichelleWagner50
    MichelleWagner50 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    All the postings I have seen on MFP say you can ignore the sugar from fruit, veggies and milk. The processed foods and added sugar is what you need to watch. I upped my sugar allowance to 50g per day so I don't always see a red negative:blushing:
    Good luck!! I say eating 2 bananas a day is way better than a bunch of cookies or other sugary snack!!!
  • hig17
    hig17 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Yeah me too! Today I ate lots of fruit (more than I usually do) I ate a banana, apple and orange all whole and some red grapes. I just totally freaked when I saw my sugar intake for today!!!!!!!! So hopefully not counting the sugar in fresh fruit I am good, because if I don't count it I am under my sugar goal for the day!
  • gecallo
    gecallo Posts: 135
    Options
    I've heard some say that you can disregard the natural sugar in raw fruits. Don't know how true it is but it's a nice thought :).

You're right. Fruits contain simple sugars that are packaged with vitamins, minerals, fiber, etc. It's the refined sugars that result in the formation of websites such as this. I go over on sugar all the time, but all from fruits and veggies.
  • onwardfatgirl
    Options
    Yeah, I disregard the stuff from fruit and veggies. I eat 3-4 servings of fruit a day, so sometimes my sugar is already over by breakfast with a smoothie (bananas and cherries). I don't do added sugar and only use stevia, so I don't mess with it.

However, some people can't even do natural sugar, so it really varies from person to person.
  • lreed
    lreed Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I don't track my sugars (I don't show it on the diary) I usually stay under on my carbohydrates but don't look at the sugars.
    (when I did look at them I am way over too) based off eating fruits and dairy, oh well
  • mattytee
    mattytee Posts: 15
    Options
    I've always wondered this, seeing as I eat tons of fresh fruit and my sugars are usually quite high. Good to know all of this now! ^^ ;-)
  • gorefan82
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments. This made me feel much better about it. Most of my sugar intake is from fruit so it looks like I'm in the clear! Thanks!!
  • JoyElizabeth
    JoyElizabeth Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I don't have added sugars, and what I do have are mostly only present in minimal amounts in some of my foods and so the rest is natural. However it seems as if I'm one of those people who can't have too much in the way of natural sugars either or else my brain goes skitzoid and then mushy after the rush - it's a real pain in the ....

But I've found that when I can limit my fruit to two or three pieces a day I am not so affected and I manage to stay under my sugar targets - when I *don't* limit my fruit, I go over all the time - though knowing this and living by it is my latest challenge! Unfortunately it has to be a necessity for me though - I hate the symptoms that come from eating sugar and I'm tired of that slothful, fuzzy-brained feeling that creeps up on me - even from natural sugars.

I know that when I choose more alkaline foods and stick to fruits that are less in sugar like small apples, blueberries, pears etc then that will help - and if you must have bananas, (one of the highest in sugar) only have one or half in a smoothie with frozen blueberries, and made with almond milk rather than dairy.

I am vegan, except for eggs occasionally (reluctantly to boost my protein), and so coming to terms with cutting back on fruit has been a little bit harder (especially when I love fruit so much), but I find that eating Pepitas & Sunflower seeds, chewed well and washed down with a glass of water before the fruit helps too, and then I only need a little bit of fruit for taste.

If you are "craving" fruit, often it is due to a lack of water in your system or an addiction to sugar which can lead to candida which affects so many people without them even realising it - being so sensitive is annoying, but I figure if I learn to go with it rather than fight it, I can't help *but* get skinny!

As another helper for you, perhaps you can have juicier raw vegetables like cucumber, tomatoes, celery, capsicum, carrots, green beans, snow peas or even some steamed zucchini, mashed steamed pumpkin or golden squash. Because they are moist, they often offset the "craving" for fruit - it's not uncommon for me to be munching a tomato, cucumber, snow peas or carrot like a piece of fruit.

I don't proclaim to know a lot about it or be perfect at carrying it out (far from it), but it's what I'm supposed to do, and I know when I can get it together, it works for me - however *keeping* it together consistently has been the hard part for me (although I'm getting better for practicing the longer I am on MFP - it's all about accountability and support I guess).

But when I *can* limit myself to 2-3 serves of fruit I feel better for it - I'm even more able to stay in control of my eating as I am not set off looking for more sugar and greater temptations (Cutting out Tim Tams certainly helped in that department too :-0!)

Anyway, that's my own personal journey and I can only speak my truth - I hope it helps you somehow.

Wishing you well on your journey.

Kind Regards,

Joy.
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart: :heart: :heart: