The Petite Advantage Diet

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,592 Member
    Options
    Like other diets, it's the SALES PITCH that gets people to believe in it.

Here's a fact:
    You burn more FAT at rest than you do doing any exercise. What fuel do you think your body burns while you sleep?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • pkdarlin
    pkdarlin Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    bump
  • xbeth77x
    xbeth77x Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I, too, would be interested in how well this diet works! If you have done it, please post status updates if you can.

For people saying it's just a sales pitch or whatever, you are probably not petite. It really is a whole different ball game when you are short. Even mfp isn't very "petite friendly" in my opinion. They say never to eat under 1200 cals. But if you are 4'11," you cannot lose weight with that unless you work out a ton to get an overall net around 1000.
  • pkdarlin
    pkdarlin Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1" and Real curious about the diet and exercise. I ordered the book so I'm going to read it.
  • nagniho
    nagniho Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I, too, would be interested in how well this diet works! If you have done it, please post status updates if you can.

For people saying it's just a sales pitch or whatever, you are probably not petite. It really is a whole different ball game when you are short. Even mfp isn't very "petite friendly" in my opinion. They say never to eat under 1200 cals. But if you are 4'11," you cannot lose weight with that unless you work out a ton to get an overall net around 1000.

I am 4'11 ( Like to think nearly 5"0) and I eat around 1370 to 1400. Yes, i do lift heavy and also do cardio but have cut down recently due to a knee injury. I lost nearly 7% BF when I upped my calories from 1000 to 1400+ and incorporated ST along with cardio. So, I don't agree that petite individuals need to eat below 1200 to loose weight.
  • xbeth77x
    xbeth77x Posts: 80 Member
    Options

I am 4'11 ( Like to think nearly 5"0) and I eat around 1370 to 1400. Yes, i do lift heavy and also do cardio but have cut down recently due to a knee injury. I lost nearly 7% BF when I upped my calories from 1000 to 1400+ and incorporated ST along with cardio. So, I don't agree that petite individuals need to eat below 1200 to loose weight.
    Wow that's awesome! Well, not your knee injury obviously. I mostly just was trying to use my personal experience to explain to taller people that are replying to this thread about it being a gimmick. I was trying to explain that it is harder for some of us (me) to lose weight and how I think my height is a factor and that this could be a solution. I guess I didn't explain it correctly- I didn't mean to include all 4'11" 's haha.

also, I didn't mean that people should eat less than 1200, just that it works for me when I exercise a total net to be under 1200.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

Oh, I am also petite. I am 5'2", I weigh 100 pounds and I eat 2000+ calories a day (2300 easily). I never went below 1800. I am 34, so I am not in my 20's and I have two kids. I am not past 50, but the book was not intended for only people past 50. I disagree with the lack of logic in the book. He puts out a series of math calculations that are a very wrong understanding of how the calorie math actually works. It is a gimmick and nonsense. The plan he proposes contradicts itself and will result in muscle loss, lowered metabolism, lost energy and poor mood (especially when paired with strength training which increases calorie needs). I have seen this book talked about everywhere because I shop for extra petite clothing, due to my small frame.
  • xNickie
    xNickie Posts: 49
    Options
    I am 4'11 ( Like to think nearly 5"0) and I eat around 1370 to 1400.

I'm also 4'11, and I've done nothing but cardio and I've lost around 17lbs since September. (Opened a new account recently)
    So I dunno, finding it hard to believe :ohwell:
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Does petite mean short, or small? I agree that someone who is obese (see gov't BMI standards) should initially diet only, for weight loss. Persons that are obese shouldn't participate in strenuous repetitive exercise because of risk of injury and aggravating existing health problems. When the person drops to being overweight, then start an exercise program. A normal weight person should exercise to benefit their overall health. I don't know why a petite person should not do cardiovascular exercise.

Exercise has health benefits no matter what size you are! Everyone needs to find something that is challenging, but within their abilities.
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Can someone tell me how you get the title "guru"??? I'm looking to add something else to my Esq., J.D. on my card, and "guru" would be quite impressive!
  • shanmackie
    shanmackie Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels is 5'2" and she obviously had no problem losing weight using a bit of cardio. (with strength obviously.)
  • projektai
    projektai Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    That sounds odd. Why would cardio be a disadvantage to a petite person?
    I'm petite at barely 5'2" and I don't think cardio is hurting me.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    wow. just wow. I did find this... (basically averaging 1175 calories per day and following some pseudo-sciency-y non-sensical way of eating)

Petite Women Diet Basics

Says Karas, “I understand you. I know you are watching your taller friends and colleagues eat more than you do but stay slim.” He explains that petites actually do need to eat less because they only require about 1600 calories a day, in comparison to around 2500 for taller women, so this makes it easier for them to gain weight.

The foundation of The Petite Advantage Diet involves a twenty-one day eating plan involving cycling of calories. For three days you will consume 1100 calories, followed by one day on 1600 calories. This helps to keep your metabolism high and prevents muscle loss that can occur on continuous low-calorie diets.

Karas asserts that it is essential for petites to eat their biggest meal of the day at breakfast. This actually makes it easier for you to control your calorie intake for the rest of the day because it reduces your appetite. On the 1100 calorie days you should consume 400 calories at breakfast, 300 at lunch and 300 at dinner.

Sample Petite Advantage Meal Plan

Breakfast
    Fresh fruit protein shake
    Bran muffin

Lunch
    Grilled tuna salad

Afternoon Snack
    15 almonds

Dinner
    Grilled salmon with eggplant, chickpeas and brown rice
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    u need the cardio - it is essential
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    u need the cardio - it is essential

not true but the alternative is also not true (that it will make you fat)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Can someone tell me how you get the title "guru"??? I'm looking to add something else to my Esq., J.D. on my card, and "guru" would be quite impressive!

You have to be on Dr. Oz, the View, or Good Morning America. :) Preferably all three.
  • srcardinal10
    srcardinal10 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I too bought the book and I was a bit skeptical about the cardio part because I do tons of cardio, am constantly hungry and I don't gain or lose weight! I just joined MFP so I'm hoping if I get my eatting in check I can lose the last 4 pounds I want to lose. I thought the meal plans were to complicated as I work and don't have time to make a bake sweet potato for lunch. Im in sales so I'm always on the road. I've been on MFP for 3 wks and have I have only lost one pound :cry:

How are you eating and exercising? Change up your cardio and make it more frequent, add more strength training, get more rest.
  • tanialuke
    tanialuke Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I am reading it and trying to combine it with mfp. I am still doing cardio- but moderate not intense. I walk very fast, but don't run (endomondo says very, very brisk pace- 7.5km/hr). Still gets the heart rate up. I have just started Jillian Michaels 30 day shred, and am hoping that is going to help make a difference combined with the 1100, 1100, 1600 diet. Watch this space.
  • tanialuke
    tanialuke Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I agree with you wholeheartedly! I have followed so many 12-1500 calorie diets it is not funny. I get scared to "under eat" or put my body into "starvation mode" as that will make me fatter. But I am getting fatter on these diets. I am 5ft or 153cm and i am now trying Jim's 1100 calories on a 3 day cycle as he suggests. Please god let this finally work!
  • Lmans77
    Lmans77 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    why are all the posters on here who are on the diet and who claimed they've already lost 4 or whatever pounds have only like 1 or 2 posts? hmmmmmm And many don't have an avatar.