Protein/carb balance?

Options
melodyg
melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
I have been noticing that I have been going over on protein (about 10g or so) and under on carbs for the past few days. I'm just wondering if that is okay. I have insulin resistance (prediabetes) so I am trying to be careful on carbs anyway and mostly eat carbs from whole wheat, fruit and veggies, lowfat dairy. But usually doing this combined with lots of fruits & veggies puts me over on protein and under on carbs.

An example: I eat 1650 calories a day. MFP tells me to eat 227/55/62 for carbs/fat/protein. So far today (with some planning for tonight) I am at 1282 calories/45 fat/69 protein. I'll probably eat some fruit/yogurt for snack later which will use up some carbs and add *more* protein. (My food diary is public if you want to get an idea of what I have been eating... just realize over the weekend wasn't typical since I was out of town!)

I was just reading on here a few days ago how too much protein can be harmful too and I don't want to do that either! How do you balance it all out?

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Try changing your settings. Go to goals, click change goals, select custom. From here you should increase your protein, try 5% and lower your carbs by 5%, and see how that works for you.

Protein is only harmful if you ingest over 30% for a prolonged period (months), MFP sets you up at 15% and the changes above will only bring you to 20% protein. Good luck.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    If you're pre-diabetic, going the lower carb / higher protein route may be a good idea. I do 40-30-30. I'm hypoglycemic. It does wonderful things for keeping my sugar stable.
  • louloup
    louloup Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have my settings at 40/40/20 and most days eat about 125 grams of protein.

It keeps me fuller for longer and I balance it by drinking loads of water :)
  • chirokelly
    Options
    I'm a chiropractor and nutritionist so I'll give you my take on that. There's a significant amount of evidence that a higher protein diet is actually healthier. Sports nutritionists and athletes commonly cycle carbs over a course of days or weeks to drop body fat. The problem, it seems, is the type of carbs in our diets. There is mounting evidence that grains are the main problem. When your body digests them, inflammatory compounds are created (translated, they induce swelling). Those compounds in excess are linked to many chronic diseases. The dietary solution is to eat an anti-inflammatory diet - fruits, veggies and lean protein (the core of most diets!). Some take that concept to an extreme and eat totally grain-free but that's difficult in our society. But awareness is key. Here are a couple web sites on the issue:
    www.thepaleodiet.com - put together by Cordain, the leading researcher on the topic
    www.deflame.com - by Seamans, based on Cordain's research but has a nice synopsis of dietary guidelines for anti-inflam diets
    Hope that helps and good luck!
  • jurgitafit
    jurgitafit Posts: 112
    Options
    I'm a chiropractor and nutritionist so I'll give you my take on that. There's a significant amount of evidence that a higher protein diet is actually healthier. Sports nutritionists and athletes commonly cycle carbs over a course of days or weeks to drop body fat. The problem, it seems, is the type of carbs in our diets. There is mounting evidence that grains are the main problem. When your body digests them, inflammatory compounds are created (translated, they induce swelling). Those compounds in excess are linked to many chronic diseases. The dietary solution is to eat an anti-inflammatory diet - fruits, veggies and lean protein (the core of most diets!). Some take that concept to an extreme and eat totally grain-free but that's difficult in our society. But awareness is key. Here are a couple web sites on the issue:
    www.thepaleodiet.com - put together by Cordain, the leading researcher on the topic
    www.deflame.com - by Seamans, based on Cordain's research but has a nice synopsis of dietary guidelines for anti-inflam diets

Great response. I agree with your opinion more than 100% and I was going to say the same things! Did you study traditional nutrition? Usually they teach accordingly to the US food pyramid, which tells to base the meals around carbs, and that is a big no no for anyone. So, I started learning about nutrition in my own ways and want to help people too with good advice! :smile: I think I need to study the holistic medicine and that will take me on a right path! :wink: A bit off topic here, but I gotta share my passions related to healthy living and eating, right? :happy:
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I don't have any health problems, I'm on 50/30/20 but like someone else said, you could probably do 40/30/30. More protein is definitely better than more carbs and your protein intake right now seems very low. MFP's recommendations for protein are pretty low. My base protein is 105g/day and then whatever I get back from exercise.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I don't have any health problems, I'm on 50/30/20 but like someone else said, you could probably do 40/30/30. More protein is definitely better than more carbs and your protein intake right now seems very low. MFP's recommendations for protein are pretty low. My base protein is 105g/day and then whatever I get back from exercise.
  • jurgitafit
    jurgitafit Posts: 112
    Options
    I personally think you're doing great with lowering the carb intake and upping the veggies and fruits (they are the best carbs in the world :happy: ). If you change your ratio settings as in the comment above, you should be all good! :flowerforyou: Also, overdoing on protein means having lots and lots of it. If you have just some protein with each meal, you should not worry at all about overdoing it! Now, the more you exercise, the more protein you need to replenish your body, but at the most you need (in grams) is only half of your body weight ( in lbs). 180lbs=90grams protein a day.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options

OMG, I could Kiss you!!!!

I have been saying this for the past year on here, but everyone tells me to shut up that we all need grains to survive for fiber.

I was doing Atkins and I found that my joint pain and muscles aches came back when I added in the carb ladder rungs of beans, legumes and grains. I had no problems as long as I stayed away from those rungs on the carb ladder...........

I switched over to Primal Blue Print (similar to Paleo) and the muscle and joint pains went away..............
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options

Great response. I agree with your opinion more than 100% and I was going to say the same things! Did you study traditional nutrition? Usually they teach accordingly to the US food pyramid, which tells to base the meals around carbs, and that is a big no no for anyone. So, I started learning about nutrition in my own ways and want to help people too with good advice! :smile: I think I need to study the holistic medicine and that will take me on a right path! :wink: A bit off topic here, but I gotta share my passions related to healthy living and eating, right? :happy:

I was accepted into the medical program to become a Naturopathic Doctor in Seattle, Washington. I didn't get to go because I couldn't afford to make the move from Illinois to Washington.

I am currently searching for local programs in the St Louis area to pick back up where I left off.

Wow, good to know I am not alone!!!

I sooo believe in Paleo and other low carb lifestyles such as Protein Power, Atkins, etc. They are focused on Real, Whole Foods.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I agree with others here about changing your nutrition goals on MFP. I'm set at 45% carbs, 30% protein, 25% fat and I feel *much* better eating this way than when I was eating 15% protein & 60% carbs or whatever amounts MFP automatically sets up.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I looked at 40/30/30 and that is a huge change from what I have been doing. I think I am going to try 45/30/25 for now and work on decreasing carbs until I get to 40/30/30. A little easier since fruits and veggies are already low fat as well!

I'm glad to hear the opinions on grains as well... the whole USDA 6-11 grain servings a DAY always seemed excessive to me too! I do like my bread... but especially this time of year I'd rather just have fruits and vegetables than the grains!
  • jaerene
    jaerene Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Wow - I admire you. I too agree with all that was said here, and just recommended the 40/30/30 ratio (which I follow) to someone else. What I admire is that you are smart enough to take smaller steps and allow yourself to gradually adjust. You will most likely stick to the changes you make if you approach them that way. I too often jump in with both feet, and then can't maintain! I'd like to take a page from your book!
  • chirokelly
    Options
    Regarding the argument that we need grains for fiber, that's just an excuse a carb addict used to justify the craving! If you're going to talk fiber, you get significantly more fiber from veggies. Without the fiber argument, there is no nutritional need for grains in our diet. High grain diets cause excess fat in almost any mammal (including humans): have you heard of "corn fed beef" which has more fatty marbling? (btw, corn is a grain, not a veggie). Have you checked the main ingredients in dog and cat foods lately? Yep, grains. And pet owners wonder why their pets are gaining weight and having health problems (wild dogs and cats don't eat grains). Even "diet pet foods" are grain based. I pay extra so my cats have grain-free food - they have a full dish 24/7 to eat as much as they want and they're both slim healthy cats. I know, not proof but I'm planting seeds here. The estimates I've seen on the American diet are around 70-80% grains! yikes! Personally I do eat some grains but nothing like I used to (bread is still my weakness so I don't bring it home unless I have a cheat day planned)
  • emederos
    emederos Posts: 25
    Options
    I'd cut out the carb sources at lunchtime like the bread. Stick to your lean protein sources and it'll help out your body comp tremendously.

Read more about carbs at my post here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/99529-people-get-to-know-your-carbs
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Regarding the argument that we need grains for fiber, that's just an excuse a carb addict used to justify the craving! If you're going to talk fiber, you get significantly more fiber from veggies. Without the fiber argument, there is no nutritional need for grains in our diet. High grain diets cause excess fat in almost any mammal (including humans): have you heard of "corn fed beef" which has more fatty marbling? (btw, corn is a grain, not a veggie). Have you checked the main ingredients in dog and cat foods lately? Yep, grains. And pet owners wonder why their pets are gaining weight and having health problems (wild dogs and cats don't eat grains). Even "diet pet foods" are grain based. I pay extra so my cats have grain-free food - they have a full dish 24/7 to eat as much as they want and they're both slim healthy cats. I know, not proof but I'm planting seeds here. The estimates I've seen on the American diet are around 70-80% grains! yikes! Personally I do eat some grains but nothing like I used to (bread is still my weakness so I don't bring it home unless I have a cheat day planned)

Well my apologies that this is WAY off topic, but since you brought it up... wild dogs and cats don't eat dehydrated pellets of kibble, either. :wink:
    Nor do they eat the raw featherless chicken and defurred/skinned beef & venison my dogs eat, but that's as close as I can get to an appropriate diet most of the time. I have to supplement their diet with fish oil for O3s because I'm forced to buy mostly grain-fed meat for financial reasons. I haven't had the stomach to venture into hunting or picking up fresh roadkill for them yet. :laugh:
    I do have a point here, I promise. My point is your cats are getting essential nutrients out of the very unnatural grain free kibble you feed them (by the way, Taste of the Wild, a grain-free kibble, isn't really any more expensive than Purina & the like and is cheaper than nasty Science Diet most vets push because they're paid by Hill's to push it) and humans can get nutrients out of grains as well as dairy. I would never argue grains & dairy are an absolutely essential part of my diet, but they have nutritional value to humans nonetheless.