Deadlifts - Smith machine or dumbbells? (no barbell)

Options
2»

Replies

• _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    Use the Smith machine if you don't have a spotter. If the paramedics get in the way of my workout, I'm going to be pissed.

You need a spotter for deadlift?

I was referring to the machine in general, not the exercise. People doing squats, bench press, reverse-grip bench press, etc.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    If the choice is between free weights vs machines, you ALWAYS want to use freeweights. The Smith Machine is good for very little, if anything.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I started with dumbell dead lifts. I don't know how far it will take you, but it is certainly a better option than trying the smith machine.

As for alternatives to deadlift, my "alternative" is usually glute ham raises, which work similar muscles and still requires significant amounts of core stability as opposed to leg curls. And if your gym doesn't have a glute ham bench, they can be done on an ab bench which I think even planet fitnesses have. And they can be done with body weight only and with dumbells or kettlebells or medicine balls or even just plates. So they are pretty versatile.
  • Midnight_Sunshine
    Midnight_Sunshine Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I vote dumbells.

But good lord...they don't have barbells??? Are they even a gym then?? :indifferent:
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    Dumbbells... Smith Machine does have its usages but not for DL's.
  • kingkoopaluv
    kingkoopaluv Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    dont use the smith machine the author is anti smith machine. I'm starting stage 1 workout b dead lifts today too, im going to use a barbell without weight for the first day and move up ( i lift already so i think im capable of the bar alone).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Sidenote: I am truly shocked a huge franchise like Planet Fitness wouldn't have barbells...are you sure about that? That is so lame if that's the case!

When I was gym hunting, I checked out PF...prices are obviously awesome...same deal, no barbells. Actually the one I looked at by my house didn't have free weights of any kind.
  • mbreed75
    mbreed75 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Dumbells plus a step in front of you to set the weights down at a correct height.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    steer clear of the smith machine for all workouts.

except inverted rows.
    And rack chins, rack chins are badass.

To answer OP's question, DB would probably be the way to go. I would make a few slight modifications though...
    If you do it with a neutral hand grip position and have the dumbbells a little more to your sides, you would put a lot of stress off of your lower back and you use a lot more legs (kind of like a hex-bar deadlift).
    I also prefer Stiff Legged Deads with dumbbells rather than a barbell.

You'll also likely be using dumbbells that have handles lower to the ground than a barbell loaded with 45s would, if you want to keep the lift as similar as possible to the BB variant, you should consider putting the dumbbells on an elevated surface (maybe one of those step up things if your gym has those). That said I recommend you don't and just go with one of the first two suggestions I made.
  • frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of doubting they have them with the lack of barbells, but a heavy kettlebell is another option.
  • theryan244
    theryan244 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Tip: I wouldn't squat with the smith machine for the purpose of safety.
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Tip: I wouldn't squat with the smith machine for the purpose of safety.
    Here's a couple of links that go into detail why this tip is a good one.

http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/avoid_lifting_injuries/The_Smith_Machine.php
    http://getfitguy.quickanddirtytips.com/top-7-exercises-to-avoid.aspx (tip #7)

There are probably some decent exercises that one can use on the smith machine, for what it's worth, I use the smith machine for standing calf raises.