Skinny is overrated...please eat (CONCERNED RANT!)

Options
Is there any nice way to tell people they're not eating enough?! If you open your diary and I am your friend on here am I free to say "hey you need to eat a little more"?I am just very concerned for the people (mostly ladies) that are closing their diaries out and have only eaten 800-1000 calories or less, regularly. I understand the occasional day, like today I'm sick...but day after day of eating 800 calories is not healthy. I couldn't even get a BMR calculator to compute an 800 calorie BMR for a 3'5" 50 pound person and I assume most of us are taller than that and weigh more than that. I'm 5'2" (pretty darn short) 127lbs (fairly lean) and my BMR is 1315. PLEASE EAT LADIES, I BEG YOU! If you want lasting change, eat healthy, don't starve yourself.

*exhale*

Replies

• eleast
    Options
    Well said. Besides, consuming too few calories can actually put your body into starvation mode and inhibit your progress if you're trying to lose weight. Thanks for the rant!

http://www.active.com/nutrition/Articles/Eat-More-to-Lose-Weight
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/536160-can-eating-too-few-calories-prevent-weight-loss/
    http://www.wcgh.org/journey-to-health/how-to-understand-the-risks-of-eating-too-few-calories/
  • rmkramer003
    rmkramer003 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    One of the quotes I see on here drives me up the wall. Something like "Nothing tastes as good as skinny looks." This is a totally pro-ana quote. I'm pretty sure I saw it on the pro-ana websites when I was doing a research paper.
  • thevegankelly
    thevegankelly Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I think some people who are under eating and have open diaries are looking for attention. They might like all the comments and concern that they get about their eating.
  • shanteel612
    shanteel612 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I am glad you said it we eat to give us energy and nutrients to live. Eating 800 cals is harmful to your body's daily function.

Don't live to Eat but Eat enough to live healthily.
  • renitawalker9
    Options
    I think some people who are under eating and have open diaries are looking for attention. They might like all the comments and concern that they get about their eating.

Never thought about that...something to consider. I haven't said anything yet, but I'm just really concerned. I guess you can't want something for someone they don't want for themselves.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I get very frustrated too, but unless they are actively looking for advice (i.e - they ask about it OR make a public post on the forum), it's likely your concern will be met with being brushed off or (as another poster said) will feed into some kind attention seeking cycle.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,060 Member
    Options
    They might not be entering all their food...just a thought.

You can delete friends. I'm pretty sure if they are undereating by that much, they're doing it on purpose and not much we can really do about it.

I don't look at peoples' food diary unless they ask a specific question, and I don't comment on food or exercise in my feed.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I agree OP...sadly, I've had to learn to just try to ignore...just way too many people doing this and nothing seems to change their minds about it...well said though.
  • renitawalker9
    Options

You can delete friends. I'm pretty sure if they are undereating by that much, they're doing it on purpose and not much we can really do about it.

I don't look at peoples' food diary unless they ask a specific question, and I don't comment on food or exercise in my feed.

Sometimes I look when the status comes up in the feed "Person x completed their diary and was under their goal." I guess I'll stop looking.
  • Thinknight
    Thinknight Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    One of the quotes I see on here drives me up the wall. Something like "Nothing tastes as good as skinny looks." This is a totally pro-ana quote. I'm pretty sure I saw it on the pro-ana websites when I was doing a research paper.

The quote is 'nothing tastes as good as skinny feels' and it comes from Kate Moss. I used to be an Ana and also a Mia, and if im really honest with myself, Mia up until i started MFP a few months ago. Its been the longest I have gone without in years.
    I can understand the meaning behind it though cant you? I know when I was bigger that i hated how I felt in my skin. Just didnt feel attractive in the slightest. Thin does feel good and after all arent we all trying to get there on this site? Im not saying under eating is good. It isnt. But thin feels nice and thats not Ana, its just a fact.

Or am I wrong?
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options

Sometimes I look when the status comes up in the feed "Person x completed their diary and was under their goal." I guess I'll stop looking.

I only log here once in a while after logging here 6 months straight. I'm thin already and would rather log elsewhere that tracks my micros. I'm more concerned with health. :)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

Agreed, that saying makes me shudder. I also did a research paper which involved looking at those sites and that phrase is very very common, that and the similar "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels".
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I don't judge someone's diary unless they ask. I don't always log all my food because I have a pretty good grip on what I eat on a regular basis but then again I don't use the button to complete my diary either. There are lots of people on here that pride themselves on how little they eat but I often wonder if they really, honestly eat that little or just like the attention from logging that way.
  • Cognito1025
    Cognito1025 Posts: 323 Member
    Options

Umm, exactly.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    I do agree... better to go slow and steady then to end up unhealthy.
  • laccy40
    laccy40 Posts: 136
    Options

The quote is 'nothing tastes as good as skinny feels' and it comes from Kate Moss. I used to be an Ana and also a Mia, and if im really honest with myself, Mia up until i started MFP a few months ago. Its been the longest I have gone without in years.
    I can understand the meaning behind it though cant you? I know when I was bigger that i hated how I felt in my skin. Just didnt feel attractive in the slightest. Thin does feel good and after all arent we all trying to get there on this site? Im not saying under eating is good. It isnt. But thin feels nice and thats not Ana, its just a fact.

Or am I wrong?

Wrong I'm afraid. Congratulations for working through your issues and I wish you every success. But thin doesn't feel good. Thin feels tired and grey and scrawny and malnourished. Strong and healthy feels good. At least it does to me.
  • skinnydreams19
    skinnydreams19 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I definitely think there are some EDs here...like the really skinny girls who still consistently eat under their goal, despite exercising for hours and having itty bitty waists!
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options

I'm glad you said SOME.
  • mklassy123
    Options
    Another thing is that people might not be measuring their food and actually eating way more than they think they are! My new kitchen scale was a real wake up call. I was easily eating a few hundred calories or more a day than I realized by not measuring!

If you eat only 800 calories a day you are going to lose and lose and lose weight. It's not healthy. If these people are not significantly losing weight (and hair, and color to their skin, and periods if female, etc...) then something is not right with their diaries (meaning they are eating more than admitting to or realizing).
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

It's a bastardization of the quote "nothing tastes as good as being lean feels". Whoever once read the word 'lean' and interpreted it as 'skinny' deserves a claw hammer to the face.