two a day workouts....how do we feel about them?

Options
two a day workouts....how do we feel about them? depends on....what?

What are your experiences?

Thanks!

Alex

Replies

• JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I've done them when I wanted to drop some extra pounds for vacation. I would do 30minutes of cardio and weights in the morning and then another 45 min-1 hour of cardio in the afternoon.

In the spring/summer I'm more apt to do two a day workouts with the second one consisting of a very brisk dog walk. My pace is 4-4.5 mph (5 if I'm really humping) on a hilly gravel road and I count that as a workout because I'm tired and sweating at the end. Sometimes I'll do two a day because I'm bored.

As long as you don't get burned out I don't see an issue with it.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I do it pretty regularly. I *try* to do a JM DVD every morning (if I can get my sleepy butt out of bed early enough) and sometimes I have a pole dance class in the evening. I love it. I love starting and ending my day with a good workout and I *love* the fact that I burn around 1000 calories between the two!
  • alexandraleaden
    Options
    I've done them when I wanted to drop some extra pounds for vacation. I would do 30minutes of cardio and weights in the morning and then another 45 min-1 hour of cardio in the afternoon.

In the spring/summer I'm more apt to do two a day workouts with the second one consisting of a very brisk dog walk. My pace is 4-4.5 mph (5 if I'm really humping) on a hilly gravel road and I count that as a workout because I'm tired and sweating at the end. Sometimes I'll do two a day because I'm bored.

That is exactly it.. IM BORED...

I would go out with friends, but that usually involves food and drinks...something I'm really trying to behave on. Also - I'm getting so excited about working out again.

:)
  • rmgatch
    Options
    I started two a day workout's in December. What I have been doing is working out before work. It was a challenge at first trying to get up about an hour and half earlier in the day. The results have been fantastic. I have dropped about 16 lbs since then. I have a lot of energy during the work day and feel pretty strong during the 2nd workout in the evening. I have missed the 2nd workout a few times but don't feel as bad because I already at least got 1 good burn in for the day.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Yes. If I feel like it. Why not?
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options

I would go out with friends, but that usually involves food and drinks...something I'm really trying to behave on. Also - I'm getting so excited about working out again.

LOL!

Sometimes I'll do two a day to burn some extra calories if I'm going out.
  • Shastara
    Shastara Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do it a lot if I m training for something serious. I fit feels good I think it's awesome. But be careful if you're running a lot or something because you can hurt yourself much easier. It's best to do two different types of workouts.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I wasn't in a totally healthy place when I was working out multiple times a day, but I was doing that to burn more calories. I think if they're different workouts it's totally fine. I'm gonna start adding yoga to my mornings as I usually go to the gym in the evening. :)
  • LaPipebomb
    LaPipebomb Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    As long as you're staying properly nourished to be able to maintain the output, I say go for it. Just make sure you don't end up over training.
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I'm about to hit #3 soon. Cardio & yoga in the early morning, brisk walk at lunch and CrossFit at night. I don't do it daily but feel pretty accomplished after I do it. Plus, if something fun pops up I don't feel so obligated to workout knowing i've already put some time in.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    who is we?
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    If you choose to, to do so. If you chose not, then dont.
  • learnerdriver
    learnerdriver Posts: 298 Member
    Options

life's a balance and you're bored- so you've got a couple of choices:
    1. change the event with friends to something involving activity- ie we did an open air bollywood dancing class
    2. change the meal to breakfast/brunch
    3. go play with your friends and allow for it later.

I used to do 2/day, but I did the second session with my partner.
  • Tetonia
    Tetonia Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I do two a day about half of the time. An early morning group class and then weightlifting, yoga, or cardio at night. It's nice because when I get in two I feel super motivated, and when I can only do one, (or have a day where I can't go at all), I'm not a slacker.

Once I reach my fitness goals I will do more mornings only.
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    On leave from work this week so thats was a great time to start my weight loss journey.
    Today is my rest day (day 6) and a slight chest cold grrrr but every other day of my 5 days actual training so far i have done two sessions will probably go down to the gym later aswell my muscles are all comfy atm, the usual to date workout in the morning after breakfast and then do a 4K walk @ 5mph after dinner

1 day i did 160mins in 2 sessions (2545 calories that day phew). 90mins in the morning covering all bases and then another 60mins of cardio after dinner.
    That night i couldn't sleep due to screaming muscles and hillucinations of exercise machines :)

Kinda need 2 anway to stop the onset of muscle fatigue, keep the muscles warm and active and they don't hurt as much, let them cool down and do nothing and Here Comes The Pain, least thats my experience.

Starting next week i'll be back to one session not by choice, i am at work or traveling to and from between 5am and 4pm and our gym doesn't open til 6am. so it will be sessions after work by my lonesome without the motivation of my father that goes in the mornings and has done so with me each day this week. Tho i have done 1 session by myself already and i coped :) Just hate doing weights so someone needs to kick me in the *kitten* to do those.

Cardio i can do for 60mins easy :) Burning an average of 1000 an hour so even that should suffice and still lose weight.
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    It depends on your current level of fitness. If you body can absorb that level of training and it works for you then go for it.

I use it sometimes to fit in a speed work session a few hours after strength training (before doms sets in)

Don't do it all the time. Constantly changing things up keeps you progressing
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I'd burn out pretty fast. Once a day is a ton for me, though.
  • gpizzy
    gpizzy Posts: 171
    Options
    LOVE!!! I am extremely into hot yoga right now and if I could everyday, I would do two workouts. One in the morning and one in the evening preferrably but I don't mind back to back. When I was training hardcore strength and cardio, I would do two a day, cardio morning strength in the evenin, or just an extra long workout.

I think it depends on what keeps you engaged and motivated. I personally, dont think there is anything wrong with it assuming a healthy diet and eating enough to sustain your energy so that your whole body doesn't crash on you.
  • littlewhittles
    littlewhittles Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I do them all the time, just because the classes I like at the gym are the same days as my roller derby practice. Sometimes, if my c25k schedule is off, I do 3 a day. Doesn't seem to be a big deal for me.
  • Chameleone
    Chameleone Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I do it a lot... I try to do a dvd every morning (or every other morning) and I go to the gym 3 times a week. Sometimes I'll do turbofire or a JM dvd in the morning and go to the gym in the evening and not workout the next day... Depends what I feel like...