Skinny is overrated...please eat (CONCERNED RANT!)

Options

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Is there any nice way to tell people they're not eating enough?! If you open your diary and I am your friend on here am I free to say "hey you need to eat a little more"?I am just very concerned for the people (mostly ladies) that are closing their diaries out and have only eaten 800-1000 calories or less, regularly. I understand the occasional day, like today I'm sick...but day after day of eating 800 calories is not healthy. I couldn't even get a BMR calculator to compute an 800 calorie BMR for a 3'5" 50 pound person and I assume most of us are taller than that and weigh more than that. I'm 5'2" (pretty darn short) 127lbs (fairly lean) and my BMR is 1315. PLEASE EAT LADIES, I BEG YOU! If you want lasting change, eat healthy, don't starve yourself.

*exhale*

Eh, last time I did that, they just unfriended me. Some people are ready to hear it, some aren't. I give my advice either way, and if you can't take it, fine.
  • WandaWoman41
    WandaWoman41 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your success Renita. I agree with you. I've had deficit days and felt weak. It's hard to imagine why someone would chose to feel weak to be skinny.
  • JamesChargerWolf
    JamesChargerWolf Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Unless they have asked for advice, I wouldn't mention it. Everyone chooses their own path. (Even if you think that path is the most unhealthy thing you've ever seen.)

You can also Hide someone from your feed without unfriending them. There's a little drop down on the top of each feed item. That way you can add them back in when it doesn't bother you anymore.
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    One of the quotes I see on here drives me up the wall. Something like "Nothing tastes as good as skinny looks." This is a totally pro-ana quote. I'm pretty sure I saw it on the pro-ana websites when I was doing a research paper.

Agreed, that saying makes me shudder. I also did a research paper which involved looking at those sites and that phrase is very very common, that and the similar "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels".

Who really wants to be "skinny" anyway. Let's change that to "nothing tastes as good as healthy feels". :happy:
  • SnicciFit
    Options
    One of the quotes I see on here drives me up the wall. Something like "Nothing tastes as good as skinny looks." This is a totally pro-ana quote. I'm pretty sure I saw it on the pro-ana websites when I was doing a research paper.

Agreed, that saying makes me shudder. I also did a research paper which involved looking at those sites and that phrase is very very common, that and the similar "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels".

Who really wants to be "skinny" anyway. Let's change that to "nothing tastes as good as healthy feels". :happy:

Oh crap. Probably gonna get hated on for hating on skinny. Didn't mean it like that! Just meant that skinny doesn't always equal healthy. But sometimes healthy equals "skinny".
  • SnicciFit
    Options

It's a bastardization of the quote "nothing tastes as good as being lean feels". Whoever once read the word 'lean' and interpreted it as 'skinny' deserves a claw hammer to the face.

^yes!
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Skinny has a really negative connotation to me. Who would want to be skinny? I picture skin stretched over skeleton when I hear that word.

The closest word to skinny that I like is slender.
  • SnicciFit
    Options
    Skinny has a really negative connotation to me. Who would want to be skinny? I picture skin stretched over skeleton when I hear that word.

The closest word to skinny that I like is slender.

Yes! or "fit"
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Mm, yes, as a skinny person trying to gain, I can testify that yes - absolutely - skinny is overrated. In fact, whoever rated it as a "good" thing is a complete bloody moron and needs to be shot. Like, now. Or better yet, before they said it.

I get ED's add me all the time. It's a tad bit insulting, really, to be added by someone who throws up their delicious food and starves themselves because they think I'm "one of them", to make a massive understatement. I can't even be bothered "helping" now. I just ask "why are you eating so little", and then, odds are, their response leads to me deleting them.

I honestly don't understand why some people are willing to give up their lives, health and general sanity to look absolutely god-awful and be an inferior, weak human being. Totally perplexing.
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Another thing is that people might not be measuring their food and actually eating way more than they think they are! My new kitchen scale was a real wake up call. I was easily eating a few hundred calories or more a day than I realized by not measuring!

If you eat only 800 calories a day you are going to lose and lose and lose weight. It's not healthy. If these people are not significantly losing weight (and hair, and color to their skin, and periods if female, etc...) then something is not right with their diaries (meaning they are eating more than admitting to or realizing).

I agree with you 100%. My scale was a wake up call, too...
  • renitawalker9
    Options
    Congrats on your success Renita. I agree with you. I've had deficit days and felt weak. It's hard to imagine why someone would chose to feel weak to be skinny.

Thanks. I thought I wanted to be skinny at one time. Until I got there, 123 lbs. and skinny fat. When I started MFP my goal was to gain muscle because I felt a flabby mess. I'm gaining, losing, gaining here, but figuring out how to look my best.
  • whiskeysister510
    whiskeysister510 Posts: 76 Member
    Options

It's a bastardization of the quote "nothing tastes as good as being lean feels". Whoever once read the word 'lean' and interpreted it as 'skinny' deserves a claw hammer to the face.

I'm sure this will come as no surprise, but that's a Kate Moss quote. :wink:
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    What concerns me more is that people are commenting "Great day!" or "Keep up the good work!!" on people's diaries when they have only eaten 900 calories for that day and that 900 calories consists of nothing but a bowl of chocolate cereal for breakfast , a granola bar for lunch, and a bag of chips for supper. I try really hard not to be a Judgey McJudgerson because we're all adults and I'm far from perfect, but gah! :noway:
  • sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    the 2 other annoying quotes are "a minute on the lips, forever on the hips" and "what you eat in private you wear in public"

idk but kinda remind of the mental maturity of someone like 12 years old
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    I know, I had to delete them as friends, they were already skinny and their tickers would say they need to lose 30 pounds or something ridiculous, and they ate 300 -500 cals a day...they need help not MFP.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

I'm sure this will come as no surprise, but that's a Kate Moss quote. :wink:

Oh...well her face isn't all that great to begin with, so a claw hammer could only improve it.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options

Oh crap. Probably gonna get hated on for hating on skinny. Didn't mean it like that! Just meant that skinny doesn't always equal healthy. But sometimes healthy equals "skinny".

*grabs pitchfork*:angry::mad: :explode: I kid! Seriously I do.

To the OP: I can understand the one-off day (or days) because I've had them myself. I've had those days where I only eat a few hundred calories because I'm just not hungry but it's not something I do all the time.

Right now I have my diary private because sometimes I feel like I could eat my calories in candy and ice cream and still get a "WTG!" or "Good job!" Sometimes I actually WANT people to look at my diary and say "Hey! WTF is up with the low calories today?" Or "Really? You had four glasses of wine and cheese for dinner?!" There is only one person on my FL who will call me out for stuff like that and I'm thankful for it.
  • renitawalker9
    Options

To the OP: I can understand the one-off day (or days) because I've had them myself. I've had those days where I only eat a few hundred calories because I'm just not hungry but it's not something I do all the time.

Right now I have my diary private because sometimes I feel like I could eat my calories in candy and ice cream and still get a "WTG!" or "Good job!" Sometimes I actually WANT people to look at my diary and say "Hey! WTF is up with the low calories today?" Or "Really? You had four glasses of wine and cheese for dinner?!" There is only one person on my FL who will call me out for stuff like that and I'm thankful for it.

Perhaps you are the anomaly since you desire advice? Most others don't really want it I guess?
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I try to eat atleast 1200-1400 but I don't eat all of my excercise calories bk. I only eat some of them bk if I'm a little hungry and want a snack. Usually I will just have a zero calorie drink instead of eating them bk. I love to cook though and I have ups and downs I have days where I am pushing to make it under my calorie goal cuz I really wanna make pasta and have days where I eat fish and salads and things and just barely make the 1200 mark. I agree though that 800-900 is much much too low and not healthy for anyone.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options

Perhaps you are the anomaly since you desire advice? Most others don't really want it I guess?

I never actually thought of it that way but you are probably right. Sometimes I WANT to be called out on the crap I eat and NOT hear a "Yay you!" for a **** day.