Does frying your food add calories?

Options
13»

Replies

• AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    If you dry fry it, no added calories. If you fry in oil, you have to count the calories in the oil.

this
  • rachelbethany
    rachelbethany Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I love frying stuff in butter and olive oil, but with nonstick pans, you don't even really need any oil for many items. You could probably cook a chicken patty at a low temp in a good nonstick pan without it even sticking.
  • sraffel
    sraffel Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I figured those were the answers I'd get. Thanks, though. :) Looks like I'm going to have to get used to baking things. I like baked foods, but some things don't come with baking instructions.

We've never been big on frying, but I know how it can throw you for a loop when you find out your "go to" meal is not going to be good for you in the long run! I make my fiancé a baked version of chicken tenders that he really likes (I can't really speak for them as I don't eat chicken). I dredge them in egg and panko breadcrumbs (you will have to add the calories for these), and then bake them at 350. Much lighter! If I have the cals for the breadcrumbs, I will sometimes do a piece of fish for myself this way.
  • Arkhos
    Arkhos Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I know this is going against the grain but if you are deep frying and can get that sucker up to just below smoking point flash fry it then oil absorbed will be somewhat less than if you fry it on low heat. There will still be oil absorbed but less than a low heated fry which means less calories.

FYI the smoke point is dependent on the type of oil so if you are frying but figure about 360-400degs F.

Agreed, if you deep fry a chicken (at the high temperatures mentioned above), the water in the meat turns to steam (that's why oil sizzles) which keeps the oil from penetrating the chicken (oil and water don't mix). If you leave the oil on the chicken after cooking and it cools the chicken will begin absorbing the oil. Pat down the chicken with a paper towel afterwards. Adding breading and eating the coated skin will contain those additional calories.