Do you burn calories if your not tiered?

Options
So i've heard the general rule is 100 calories a mile, but i run a mile (like a 9 min jog.) without even breaking a sweat. I'm not tiered or breathing heavy, i feel like i've just been walking. Does this still burn roughly 80 or so calories, or do i have to "feel." tiered to have actually burned anything.

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    You burn calories even if you're comatose, so yes, I would say you burn calories running a mile, even if you're not tired. :tongue:

Edited to add: I walk my dogs about 1.25 miles several times a week, and sometimes wear my heart rate monitor - I get an average burn of about 100 calories just for that, and it certainly doesn't tire me out - it's an easy walk.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    The car you drive can easily travel at 100 mph, but when you drive to the corner store at 20 mph you're still burning gas, even tho you didn't come close to pushing your car to it's limits. Your body expends energy during activities whether you feel tiered when you're done or not.

*Sorry, I have no links to prove this so you'll have to take my word for it.
  • Brokecoffeeaddict
    Brokecoffeeaddict Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    bump! r we sure? and if so what do i put my morning mile down as burn wise?
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    So i've heard the general rule is 100 calories a mile, but i run a mile (like a 9 min jog.) without even breaking a sweat. I'm not tiered or breathing heavy, i feel like i've just been walking. Does this still burn roughly 80 or so calories, or do i have to "feel." tiered to have actually burned anything.

Yes, you definitely still burn calories. You burn calories sitting on the couch. It's more to do about the amount of calories you burn. The intensity of the exercise will only affect the amount of calories you burn (and other benefits like improving cardio fitness)
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    bump! r we sure? and if so what do i put my morning mile down as burn wise?

Yes, we are sure and just put down the time you ran at the speed you did
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Put it down for 80, whether you feel tiered at the end or not
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Put it down for 80, whether you feel tiered at the end or not

If you do an interval run, is that a two-tiered workout?

Or are you just too tiered at the end to care?
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    You can log intervals in two ways. Average speed for the total time or use two (or multiple) different speeds and the corresponding times. I've done both before and find it seems to work out about the same. So basically whatever is easier
  • hatethegame
    hatethegame Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I walked 4.5 miles on Sunday and burned 610 calories. That's about 135 calories per mile. So yes, 80 is a conservative estimate.