TDEE reduced by 20%...no way

Options
just calculated my TDEE- 20% and its 1929. That cannot be right...that is more than I have eaten ever! When I increased to 1400 calories I gained weight.
I am 5 ft, barley any inches but I work out almost every day, intensely. I am 129lbs currently, and a size 2, I have lots of muscles haa.
That seems like a HUGE amount of food. Does anyone (short ladies in particular) actually lose eating a number that high? I know everyone is different and I have always been more likely to gain than any of my friends/family members, so maybe my disbelief is purely a reflection of my experience.

Im just curious what people thing about this. Does anyone else think its way to high? Or am I stuck in 1200 mentality?

Replies

• Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    If you work out that much you probably need more than 1929. Are you at your goal? Your stats tell me you are!
  • Tzippy7
    Tzippy7 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    9 lbs to go, I know BMI is problematic but TOM and water weight still push me back to an unhealthy weight range. I want a little more distance from that red line haha
  • fancycupcake
    fancycupcake Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    My TDEE - 20% is 1900. I'm 5'2", 170 lbs, and workout moderately 3 times a week. You're much smaller than I am but kick a lot of butt in your workouts, which burns tonnnsss of calories. I think that sounds about right.

With only 8 pounds to go until your GW, I would actually suggest doing TDEE-10%. Ease your way into the higher amount of calories so that when you're at maintenance you don't pack it all on again! :D And then enjoy all the food you get to eat!!!!

If after a month or two you notice yourself getting heavier, decrease it...but you do have to give it time to see how your body reacts. It's a very long, drawn out guessing game. Yay!
  • BaileyBoo13524
    BaileyBoo13524 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I'm not super short, but I eat anywhere from 1800-2200 and am losing. Did you give yourself some time to adjust when you upped your cals to 1400? I would suggest giving it a try for at least 3-4 weeks before claiming that you've gained.
  • Tzippy7
    Options
    Yes I tried for a month to increase.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I can't believe that you reached 173 pounds by eating less than 1900 calories That's sounds fishy to me. Currently, I'm losing a pound at 2000 calories. My TDEE is 2500, but I'm a little larger than you.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    My TDEE - 20% is 1900. I'm 5'2", 170 lbs, and workout moderately 3 times a week. You're much smaller than I am but kick a lot of butt in your workouts, which burns tonnnsss of calories. I think that sounds about right.

With only 8 pounds to go until your GW, I would actually suggest doing TDEE-10%. Ease your way into the higher amount of calories so that when you're at maintenance you don't pack it all on again! :D And then enjoy all the food you get to eat!!!!

If after a month or two you notice yourself getting heavier, decrease it...but you do have to give it time to see how your body reacts. It's a very long, drawn out guessing game. Yay!

This is true too! The less you have to lose, the more you need to eat.
  • taylorwaylor
    taylorwaylor Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Look up the "eat more 2 weigh less" group on here!! I just upped my calories to 1,900 and im 5'3ish... Too soon to see any weight loss but i am hoping i will!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    IMO BMI is a garbage stat. whenever I do my BMI it says that I am "moderately obese" and I have 13% body fat so that is impossible....

how old are you?

you could always take the 522 cal increase (1400 to 1922) and split it in half and bump up to 1650 per day and see how that goes for a few weeks...
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    IMO BMI is a garbage stat. whenever I do my BMI it says that I am "moderately obese" and I have 13% body fat so that is impossible....

how old are you?

you could always take the 522 cal increase (1400 to 1922) and split it in half and bump up to 1650 per day and see how that goes for a few weeks...

^^^good advice.

BMI = nonsense
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I can't believe that you reached 173 pounds by eating less than 1900 calories That's sounds fishy to me. Currently, I'm losing a pound at 2000 calories. My TDEE is 2500, but I'm a little larger than you.

why is this so shocking? She just ate in a deficit...
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

How do you gain weight in a deficit?
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

I think the person you quoted is remarking that the OPs starting weight was 173 (aka she had gained that much). Which I also question as to how it could have been a weight gain by eating so little unless there is a medical reason behind it.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

I think the person you quoted is remarking that the OPs starting weight was 173 (aka she had gained that much). Which I also question as to how it could have been a weight gain by eating so little unless there is a medical reason behind it.

Thanks. Yes, that's exactly what I meant. The OP stated she had *never* eaten more than 1900, so how did she become overweight? I contend that the OP didn't really know how many calories she was eating. But yes, there could be a medical condition that she either hasn't shared with us or has gone undiagnosed.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Thanks. Yes, that's exactly what I meant. The OP stated she had *never* eaten more than 1900, so how did she become overweight? I contend that the OP didn't really know how many calories she was eating. But yes, there could be a medical condition that she either hasn't shared with us or has gone undiagnosed.

ohhh I t thought she said she lost weight ..whoops....my bad ...
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I'm 5 foot and I've been eating my tdee (2000) cals for the past 7.5 weeks in combination with weights 3x a week and cardio 1-2 times a week... and haven't gained weight!!
  • tobejune
    tobejune Posts: 177
    Options
    5'1" here. I maintain my weight eating around 2000 calories (even a bit more). So, from my experience, it is possible... BUT, I also sort of believe in the set point theory, that your body has a weight it naturally "wants" to be so if you are under that particular weight, you will gain until reaching it at which point it'll even out.
    not sure how much sense I've just made... need more sleep!
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Yes I tried for a month to increase.

A very common problem with eating too few calories is eventually you will plateau...then you will begin to gain weight at the same intake because your body is mangled due to not enough fuel to function properly. I would suggest 6 weeks at the TDEE -10% level in order for you to have a realistic view.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    just calculated my TDEE- 20% and its 1929. That cannot be right...that is more than I have eaten ever! When I increased to 1400 calories I gained weight.
    I am 5 ft, barley any inches but I work out almost every day, intensely. I am 129lbs currently, and a size 2, I have lots of muscles haa.
    That seems like a HUGE amount of food. Does anyone (short ladies in particular) actually lose eating a number that high? I know everyone is different and I have always been more likely to gain than any of my friends/family members, so maybe my disbelief is purely a reflection of my experience.

Im just curious what people thing about this. Does anyone else think its way to high? Or am I stuck in 1200 mentality?

How much did you use to eat that got you in to trouble that you now have to lose weight, and how long did that take to gain weight, and were you exercising this much during that time?

What do you actually have to compare 1929 to besides the 1200 you've seen? Anything based on reality of you?
  • Tzippy7
    Options
    Hmm this is all good info. Just to clarify, I do have hypothyroidism which contributed to weight gain. That combined with the pill, terrible sleeping habits and no exercise caused me to gain weight. I was probably eating between 1600-1900 I day. So i guess you are right, I did eat that much at one point.